Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=187)
-   -   Volvo XC 60 Review (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=130212)

volvorocks Jul 25th, 2011 02:19

Volvo XC 60 Review

Pros
Looks nice and draws admiring looks and comments
Relaxing when cruising at a steady 70mph on cruise
Comfy seats
The gruff 5 pot engine is quite a nice sound
Big exterior wing mirrors
Feels safe.
Rarity and somewhat exclusive on road (there may be a very good reason for this)

Flaws/Cons
Hard to park and judge size
Keyless start operates only on clutch
Keyless stop does not apply handbrake (when you have parked and are egressing the vehicle)
12v socket missing in front stack if speccing smoker pack
“Premium” stereo has dropouts and not that loud nor clear nor worth the extra price. Older Dynaudio much better.
Wallowy handling - X3 actually better with ride comfort and handling with its optional suspension pack(mmm this will open a can of worms!!!)
Feels very large on the road although quite small when parked next to X5 Rangie or Santa Fe
Rangie easier to place on road despite being larger
Using Ipod or USB to play music - sensus gets confused and lists previous track name
Cruise not intuitive and has to be switched on every time vehicle started
Rain sense wipers not intuitive - if rain sensors are on (and in most cars that have this feature sometimes they go to fast when not raining or to slow when raining - if you flick the wiper stalk to do a sweep or flick to stop this it switches off the “rain sense” function - you then have to reset the rain sense function
Global closing of windows and sunroof needs keyfob to operate which defeats the object of it being keyless - (windows cannot be closed using the button on the door - but hey you can on a Citroen!!)
Ride is hard and crashy when going over bumps or over “road coming to end lines”
You can hear cars as though window is open even with “double laminate glazing” and wind noise
Trip mileometer primative - similar to a 1990 Ford Fiesta
No fuel gallons used on trip computer
Trip computer needs to be pressed and then scrolled through with separate wheel. Not intuitive
Not that economical D5 manual with fast and slow driving mix of urban and motorway 32mpg
Seat belt cuts into throat so very dangerous not to mention uncomfortable. No adjuster
Lack of storage options - why not have an in floor cubby and under seat cubby?
Large bottle of water (1 litre) will not fit in door bin
Small bottle of water if placed in cup holders falls over and fouls gear stick if full - so water bottle best be “half full”
Lack of cubby storage in boot - why not have cubbies in side of boot
Play stereo and (understandably) everything stored in door bins (only storage that is available really) vibrates
Feels unwieldy in town driving situations
Why not have an F1 style integrated fuel cap not a screw one. Dirty smelly fuel tainted hands similar to 1990 Ford Fiesta
Slippy leather steering wheel
Cannot use last few inches of space in boot as power tailgate will not close as it needs this extra space - which is understandable although manual closing boot lids do not suffer with this problem
When open door after ignition off cannot close open window with electric window switches (no 30 second power allowance)
Open door with ignition on - BONG BONG chime - so cannot play stereo say when parked up and relaxing on camp chairs looking at scenic views as you get BONG BONG chime
Cannot drive with belt off eg on private farmland or when reversing - BONG BONG chime
Different BONG BONG chimes -just to let you know that you are actually in a car say with the door open...yes I know...I opened the door...lol..so I know thank you..yes I turned the ignition on ...so i know...thank you again....as Jeremy Clarkson might say......well I dont know what he might say as he is un predictable ...lol..
Have to move head to left and backwards when moving sun visor to side window as head is hit with sun visor
Electric hand brake in the most ridiculous place - stretch to operate -why not place closer to driver
Unload car so door open with interior lights on - which go off after about a minute which means you have to shut the door and open it again to activate interior lights to see what you are doing - annoying late night early morning for neighbours with open door close door open door bang scenario
Open power tailgate and car rear lights illuminate (to warn boot lid is open supposedly) - which draws attention to your contents in the boot - yet there is no interior boot light so you yourself cannot see what is in boot!
When closing doors - they do not close with that re-assuring “thud” of a premium car.(2 do 2 don’t)
12v sockets fell “loose”
12v power socket in boot always live - so remember to unplug your microwave or portable fridge freezer - although can see the point in so far as if you want a quick shower with a portable shower you do not have to have the ignition on - although why not have a little switch in the boot - “on” (power permanently on) and “off” power only on when ignition on.
Vehicle not as potent nor accelerative when 5 people in (ok they were quite hefty!!) and unfair to compare to Jag XJR which is unruffled with extra weight. This Volvo vehicle knows it is carrying weight and complains!
Wash windows whilst driving with windows open and if headlamp wash comes on expect shower in drivers seat!
Chrome strip on bonnet feels flimsy - be careful when opening bonnet!
The dreaded DPF (common problem with all vehicles so fitted) - 12mpg on motorway when “regenning“ with accompanying power loss…!!! - sort of scientifically worked it out that the car is running with around 100bhp max!!

All cost options /technology / goodies not as good as what other car manufacturers offer as standard or cheaper as cost options and that which Volvo charge top dollar for

£38k…???……worth £22k max

If the car was a kid at school the teachers report may state - “Vera is a very clever girl and has ability and so much potential so could do so much better if she concentrated and applied her talents to the job in hand”

Sumary - “Style over substance”

Comments as always very welcome peeps.

Regards

wimorrison Jul 25th, 2011 08:38

I do not see your flaws/cons as flaws - I think that as you get to know the car you will find that there are ways to achieve some of the things you suggest. e.g. when you lock the car hold the button down for a few seconds, then ALL the windows will shut automatically.

Is it valid to claim that the car is wallowy and then claim it is to hard, is that not a contradiction in terms?

I suggest that this list is more a list of personal gripes, possibly comparison with your last car, and not a list of substansive issues with the car, though they do make an interesting personal commentary.

BTW, if you look at where the seatbelt joins the pillar you will find the height adjuster ...

stu0710 Jul 25th, 2011 09:14

Hi - perhaps you should have roadtested / looked at the car properly prior to purchase? I'm sure that the cubby holes didn't disappear between you looking at a car in the show room and the car being built? It just goes to show that a car purchse requires a lot of research and an objective test drive to ensure that it fits your needs. It's easy to be dazzled by the showroom experience and not properly examine the car's features, if in doubt go back with a list!

BTW - if you want to play the radio with the ignition off, just press the power button on the radio!

Not so much a review as a list of quibbles!

richy2 Jul 25th, 2011 09:24

Obviously everyone is entitled to their own opinion but as reviews go I don't think I could disagree more with pretty much all your 'flaws', seems strange you seem to have many hangs ups about it's size, dimensions, road presence and parking - I assume you test drove one to get a feel for how it drives/size etc?

I certainly feel like mine justifies its price tag of mid-30's and compared more than favourably to similar spec'ed cars from BMW (X3) and Audi (Q5) but worked out better for the Volvo with the proper auto-box which I wanted for its towing ability.

I can't help but think some of the flaws with the Sensus system might be unique to your car, I certainly could never complain about the volume or sound quality coming from mine with the Premium pack (have you played with the settings that others have recommend on here?), I think if I ever tried to put it past 3/4 volume the glass would shatter with all the vibration and deep bass (although did opt for the low-cost sub, maybe that was a wise choice). Never had any issues with it showing the wrong ipod track titles either, slow picking the correct one up sometimes but I've an old ipod - works perfectly and I rarely find myself using the radio (dab or analogue) because my whole library is with me and it sounds fantastic. I also am loving the quality of the voice activation, I've pretty much given up on manually entering destinations I find the voice control that intuitive and good.

My auto D5 is sat at 36mpg and I do like to push it now and again in sport mode and manual mode so I'm really please with that given the solid performance it gives, also not much point comparing the performance to another make of car which probably has more cyclinders and more CC's to work with, I find the D5 a solid balance between performance and economy, for the size and shape of the XC60.

I find the seats and leather on my R-Design extremely comfortable over long journeys and they certainly feel 'premium', in fact the whole car is very relaxing to drive upto and beyond legal limits and the suspension on the R-Design is firm for sure but one of the best damped setups I've driven on an SUV (I guess you're not comparing to an old X3... now they had a crashy ride!).

I guess it's all about expectations, previous car history etc. You've clearly got far too many niggles with the XC60 to enjoy it, personally I've very few (a touch of wind noise from the passenger front that I need to hunt down, but that's 80+ mph only and without laminated side windows).

No issues on my auto wipers, I love that I can manually flick wipe without resetting anything like you have to in most auto setups where you flick the stalk into a different position, mine continue in auto mode.

Ringthane Jul 25th, 2011 10:04

Wow. I didn't know my car was so bad.

Does anyone else use the Screen Wash with the windows open? Say no more.

volvorocks Jul 25th, 2011 15:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by wimorrison (Post 953164)
I do not see your flaws/cons as flaws - I think that as you get to know the car you will find that there are ways to achieve some of the things you suggest. e.g. when you lock the car hold the button down for a few seconds, then ALL the windows will shut automatically.

Is it valid to claim that the car is wallowy and then claim it is to hard, is that not a contradiction in terms?

I suggest that this list is more a list of personal gripes, possibly comparison with your last car, and not a list of substansive issues with the car, though they do make an interesting personal commentary.

BTW, if you look at where the seatbelt joins the pillar you will find the height adjuster ...

Hi

Yes a personal commentary (just an opinion). Love reading peoples opinions to.They are all good.

Comparison to all sorts of cars from cheap nasty ones to more expensive ones ...so a wide band

Yes a ride can be hard and wallowy at the same time i think!
(Alfa 8c? supercar Clarkson tested I think he said was rock hard and didnt handle well)

Regards the seatbelt adjuster...there isnt one on MY12....??

Best regards

volvorocks Jul 25th, 2011 15:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ringthane (Post 953198)
Wow. I didn't know my car was so bad.

Does anyone else use the Screen Wash with the windows open? Say no more.

Yes perhaps not the best thing to do!!!!!..lol

volvorocks Jul 25th, 2011 15:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by stu0710 (Post 953177)
Hi - perhaps you should have roadtested / looked at the car properly prior to purchase? I'm sure that the cubby holes didn't disappear between you looking at a car in the show room and the car being built? It just goes to show that a car purchse requires a lot of research and an objective test drive to ensure that it fits your needs. It's easy to be dazzled by the showroom experience and not properly examine the car's features, if in doubt go back with a list!

BTW - if you want to play the radio with the ignition off, just press the power button on the radio!

Hi Stu

Very valid comments.

Regards playing the radio with the door open - yes I didnt think of that.
I will have to start compiling a list called "flaws with me"..!!!...lol

Many thanks

volvorocks Jul 25th, 2011 15:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by richy2 (Post 953182)
Obviously everyone is entitled to their own opinion but as reviews go I don't think I could disagree more with pretty much all your 'flaws', seems strange you seem to have many hangs ups about it's size, dimensions, road presence and parking - I assume you test drove one to get a feel for how it drives/size etc?

I certainly feel like mine justifies its price tag of mid-30's and compared more than favourably to similar spec'ed cars from BMW (X3) and Audi (Q5) but worked out better for the Volvo with the proper auto-box which I wanted for its towing ability.

I can't help but think some of the flaws with the Sensus system might be unique to your car, I certainly could never complain about the volume or sound quality coming from mine with the Premium pack (have you played with the settings that others have recommend on here?), I think if I ever tried to put it past 3/4 volume the glass would shatter with all the vibration and deep bass (although did opt for the low-cost sub, maybe that was a wise choice). Never had any issues with it showing the wrong ipod track titles either, slow picking the correct one up sometimes but I've an old ipod - works perfectly and I rarely find myself using the radio (dab or analogue) because my whole library is with me and it sounds fantastic. I also am loving the quality of the voice activation, I've pretty much given up on manually entering destinations I find the voice control that intuitive and good.

My auto D5 is sat at 36mpg and I do like to push it now and again in sport mode and manual mode so I'm really please with that given the solid performance it gives, also not much point comparing the performance to another make of car which probably has more cyclinders and more CC's to work with, I find the D5 a solid balance between performance and economy, for the size and shape of the XC60.

I find the seats and leather on my R-Design extremely comfortable over long journeys and they certainly feel 'premium', in fact the whole car is very relaxing to drive upto and beyond legal limits and the suspension on the R-Design is firm for sure but one of the best damped setups I've driven on an SUV (I guess you're not comparing to an old X3... now they had a crashy ride!).

I guess it's all about expectations, previous car history etc. You've clearly got far too many niggles with the XC60 to enjoy it, personally I've very few (a touch of wind noise from the passenger front that I need to hunt down, but that's 80+ mph only and without laminated side windows).

No issues on my auto wipers, I love that I can manually flick wipe without resetting anything like you have to in most auto setups where you flick the stalk into a different position, mine continue in auto mode.

Hi Richy

Thank you for your input - it is great to hear and read other peoples opinions as they are all valid.

A pal of mine has a (not so nowadays) small supermini and he finds the accelerater pedal far to light and his knee catches and rubs on the door panel - To me though I see no problem and do not agree!! - We are all different I suppose.

Listed everything I could think of really to get everyones opinion.

Stereo is ok and settings been adjusted - just feel that whilst it is a reasonable stereo - it is not worth the extra cost.
(comparison experience Harmon Kardon ,Mark Levinson, Ford standard stereo,Bose ,aftermarket Kenwood,older Dynaudio,)

Re wipers..you press the button on the stalk and rain sense is on - although if you do a "flick wipe" up or down it switches it off on MY12.

Yes more a list than a review although just listed as came into ones head.

It does read rather drastically and some issues are but just minor although the comparison is from experience of a wide range of cars - some good some cheap some expensive!

It does seem pointless though to pay a few hundred quid for keyless keyfob - only to find global closing can only be operated using the key fob - when other vehicles with keless keyfob can close the windows with the door button.

Also on alternative makes of vehicle when one parks and switches the engine off the electronic handbrake applies automatically - instead on the Volvo you have to manually press the button - no major big deal - although the handbrake button is in a daft place.

Yes old X3 was rock hard ride - newer one is a lot better - especially with the optional fancy suspension pack.

Agree that leather seats are nice and comfy in XC though and vehicle is very comfy on motorway although rutted roads and potholes can be felt through the cabin more than one would expect - maybe this will soften up with mileage

Regards performance - Yes the performance is ok for a vehicle this weight and size - I think it is probably a matter that one gets used to it after a few miles and then expects more - so I agree it is pretty pointless for one to compare a diesel 2.4 with a supercharged 5 litre -

Same goes for the 360 - supreme performance - that is until you have used it a bit - then it seems slower after more use - then it seems too wide then too low...so on and so forth..lol

volvorocks Jul 25th, 2011 16:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by stu0710 (Post 953177)

Hi again Stu

Yes certain things only become more apparent that one may not have noticed when test driving!

Electric power boot lid will not close if boot full as it needs the extra few inches of bootspace to close whereas a manual boot lid you just push down.

Not something that readily springs to mind when testing..ie arrive on test drive day with a a car full of luggage and camping equipment to test if this happens!!!..lol

No the cubbies didnt disapear between test drive and being built..lol...this is oversight by purchaser..lol - although the 12v socket did disapear between test drive and build!!!!!!

All the best

Superbenj Jul 25th, 2011 17:51

How long have you had it for? If only a few weeks, then I think the driving/ parking aspects will come with experience, all cars are different and take a while to get used to, I thought it was huge at first but nip about in it now as confidently as I did with our last car. Similarly the trip computer etc, will come to you, I suspect many of your comments would apply to any new car you'd bought and will arise again with the next one, whatever it may be!

Its actually the easiest I've ever tried to park but I've never had parking sensors before or indeed the reverse camera, which proves to be more and more of a must have feature for me now and less of the gimmick I feared it may be. Reverse/ Parallel Parking perfectly first time is a cinch now.

Re the Keyless locking, have you checked the options in the my car Sensus area, I've got it and don't think I've ever had to separately close the windows, although to be honest, I've not sure I've ever lowered them other than to collect tickets, pay tolls etc before putting them straight back up!

The central bottle holds are a nightmare with an Auto, so must be infuriating with a manual, deffo bad design that, or at best a massive compromise

For me the Rain Sensor is also pretty rubbish, I always have it at its most sensitive and don't think its sensitive enough, does anyone know is there anyway to adjust this at service or similar?

How tall are you by the way, due to the belt and mini story, it sounds like you may be pretty short, my wife is 5'7ish and has no problem with the belt on an My11.5 which has no adjusters as such.

darbs Jul 25th, 2011 19:00

each to their own. i recently posted this in response to the question "what do you like about your xc60?":

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showpo...86&postcount=6

like yours its not a review, but rather a list. there are a few things you've listed as not liking which i've listed as like. this may be because i've owned the car a lot longer. because of masses of tech in modern cars, i suspect they take a lot more getting used than they used to.

volvorocks Jul 25th, 2011 23:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by darbs (Post 953466)
each to their own. i recently posted this in response to the question "what do you like about your xc60?":

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showpo...86&postcount=6

like yours its not a review, but rather a list. there are a few things you've listed as not liking which i've listed as like. this may be because i've owned the car a lot longer. because of masses of tech in modern cars, i suspect they take a lot more getting used than they used to.

Hi Darb

Thanks for your input.

Yes agree one mans meat is another mans poison so to speak!

Its not so much a matter of not liking the technology or simply getting used to it - its a matter of not liking the execution of the technology!
It has been sampled on previous cars.

For example - the keyless starting option is a fine thing on a vehicle and take an alternative make of vehicle with it where entry is simply pulling the door handle opening the door getting in and pressing the clutch or brake whilst pressing a button that starts the engine then when one stops the vehicle when parking ,press said button again and vehicle engine stops and handbrake is automatically applied , then exit the vehicle and with a push of the button on the door the vehicle locks and the windows go up.

Compare that to the keyless starting option on XC and one finds that the vehicle handbrake does not automatically apply when the engine is switched off and then one finds that to globally close all open windows one has to use the actual keyfob as oppose to pressing a button on the door - it sort of defeats the object of calling it "keyless" in the first place - oh and its a few hundred quid option as well!!!!

Regards

Matteus XC60 Jul 26th, 2011 08:55

Well Volvorocks, it would appear that your Volvo doesn't rock you at all! The clear (and repeated) message from this thread is that we all have our own opinions, so here's mine:
Whilst the XC60 is by no means perfect, your discontent seems to emanate from a combination of you:
- being extremely fussy
- not reading or understanding the handbook properly
- choosing options which you didn't fully understand
- being of freakish physical proportions
- potentially having some faults on the car (eg sensus)
- not being diligent enough on the test drive
- not having enough to do.

If I owned a car which had a list of flaws so much larger than the pros I would sell it immediately and buy something else. I advise that you do the same. That way, when you then find the inevitable list of flaws on the new motor, you can post them on that forum instead of this one. :)

Superbenj Jul 26th, 2011 09:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matteus XC60 (Post 953753)
If I owned a car which had a list of flaws so much larger than the pros I would sell it immediately and buy something else. I advise that you do the same. That way, when you then find the inevitable list of flaws on the new motor, you can post them on that forum instead of this one. :)

Or at least drive it for more than a week to get used to the size etc!

Superbenj Jul 26th, 2011 09:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by volvorocks (Post 953673)
Hi Darb

Thanks for your input.

Yes agree one mans meat is another mans poison so to speak!

Its not so much a matter of not liking the technology or simply getting used to it - its a matter of not liking the execution of the technology!
It has been sampled on previous cars.

For example - the keyless starting option is a fine thing on a vehicle and take an alternative make of vehicle with it where entry is simply pulling the door handle opening the door getting in and pressing the clutch or brake whilst pressing a button that starts the engine then when one stops the vehicle when parking ,press said button again and vehicle engine stops and handbrake is automatically applied , then exit the vehicle and with a push of the button on the door the vehicle locks and the windows go up.

Compare that to the keyless starting option on XC and one finds that the vehicle handbrake does not automatically apply when the engine is switched off and then one finds that to globally close all open windows one has to use the actual keyfob as oppose to pressing a button on the door - it sort of defeats the object of calling it "keyless" in the first place - oh and its a few hundred quid option as well!!!!

Regards

I get your point, you should perhaps write into Volvo to make your point, as it sounds like they could all be implemented with software changes. Im very surprised re the windows, are you sure this can not be changed in the Sensus options, or indeed my holding the outside button down for an extra second?

Interestingly, I've not really felt any of the above issues, although I suspect I would have if I ever put my windows down, or had had an auto applying hand break before. I do sometimes forget to put the handbrake on, its less of an issue in an Automatic though!

volvorocks Jul 26th, 2011 13:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matteus XC60 (Post 953753)
Well Volvorocks, it would appear that your Volvo doesn't rock you at all! The clear (and repeated) message from this thread is that we all have our own opinions, so here's mine:
Whilst the XC60 is by no means perfect, your discontent seems to emanate from a combination of you:
- being extremely fussy
- not reading or understanding the handbook properly
- choosing options which you didn't fully understand
- being of freakish physical proportions
- potentially having some faults on the car (eg sensus)
- not being diligent enough on the test drive
- not having enough to do.

MatteusXC60

Regarding your opinion.

This particular thread was about the positives or negatives of a vehicle so I find it particularly insulting upsetting and offensive for such a response as yours which directly relates your opinion of what you suggest by incorrect assumption that I as a person am or am not or that I as a person will do.

The latter sentence in your final paragraph especially appears to be a statement based purely on opinion again arrived at by incorrect assumption and appears to be a reflection of the perspective through which the author views reality and can thus be dismissed as subjective and fundamentally flawed.

It appears that objective writings about the negatives or positives of a vehicle have given rise to what can only be considered to be your take on my personality and or proportions or otherwise, which is an insult to the recipient and therefore one respectfully asks that you kindly refrain from such behaviours now and in future.

Regards

Matteus XC60 Jul 26th, 2011 17:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by volvorocks (Post 953863)
MatteusXC60

Regarding your opinion.

This particular thread was about the positives or negatives of a vehicle so I find it particularly insulting upsetting and offensive for such a response as yours which directly relates your opinion of what you suggest by incorrect assumption that I as a person am or am not or that I as a person will do.

The latter sentence in your final paragraph especially appears to be a statement based purely on opinion again arrived at by incorrect assumption and appears to be a reflection of the perspective through which the author views reality and can thus be dismissed as subjective and fundamentally flawed.

It appears that objective writings about the negatives or positives of a vehicle have given rise to what can only be considered to be your take on my personality and or proportions or otherwise, which is an insult to the recipient and therefore one respectfully asks that you kindly refrain from such behaviours now and in future.

Regards

Sorry you didn't like my post VR (even with the smiley face - perhaps you missed this?), clearly it had a lot more cons than pros in your opinion. Wait a minute, I think I'm seeing a pattern here.....;).
Let us put our differences on the XC60 aside then. However, can I (respectfully) ask whether English is your first language? You do seem to write the longest sentences known to man, and I'm afraid that the first of these in your post above makes absolutely no sense to me whatsoever. I was also particularly interested in your line: '...and can thus be dismissed as subjective and fundamentally flawed.' Isn't all opinion subjective? Isn't that what this site is all about?

I hope you didnt find this post too insulting, upsetting or offensive. Just my opinion really. Life's a bit too short to worry about little stuff like this you know.

Regards....

:) :) (2 just to make sure you see them..)

Philpottig Jul 26th, 2011 19:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by volvorocks (Post 953863)
MatteusXC60

Regarding your opinion.

Regards

Rough translation - we can't have an opinion other than yours, well that's ok but might somewhat limit responses to any future posts methinks.

volvorocks Jul 26th, 2011 19:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philpottig (Post 954047)
Rough translation - we can't have an opinion other than yours, well that's ok but might somewhat limit responses to any future posts methinks.

Of course people are entitled to their own opinion in a forum - just do not make it an opinion about the person simply because the person is discussing discontent about an inanimate object. Feel free to agree or disagree about opinions set out about a specific vehicle , just do not insult the writer!

volvorocks Jul 26th, 2011 19:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matteus XC60 (Post 953986)
Sorry you didn't like my post VR (even with the smiley face - perhaps you missed this?), clearly it had a lot more cons than pros in your opinion. Wait a minute, I think I'm seeing a pattern here.....;).
Let us put our differences on the XC60 aside then. However, can I (respectfully) ask whether English is your first language? You do seem to write the longest sentences known to man, and I'm afraid that the first of these in your post above makes absolutely no sense to me whatsoever. I was also particularly interested in your line: '...and can thus be dismissed as subjective and fundamentally flawed.' Isn't all opinion subjective? Isn't that what this site is all about?

I hope you didnt find this post too insulting, upsetting or offensive. Just my opinion really. Life's a bit too short to worry about little stuff like this you know.

Regards....

:) :) (2 just to make sure you see them..)

Matteus XC60

I shall make it as short and as clear as possible for you Matteus.XC60

Regarding the post that made no sense to you - it clearly sets out that you made assumptions as to what I would do or what I am .Assumptions about a person are never really a good idea. Simple.

Matteus XC60 you quote

“that way, when you then find the inevitable list of flaws on the new motor, you can post them on that forum instead of this one” …………another assumption that warrants no need for further explanation as to why it comes across as insulting and sarcastic to the recipient as the implication expressed by the author is indeed noted.

How, Matteus XC60 you , or another, can consider your statement quote “being of freakish physical proportions” to not be an insult to the recipient is,quite frankly beyond me.

Your post was not vehicle topic thread specific instead it was person specific and based on an assumption of a person who was simply expressing feelings about an inanimate object - namely a car - with the result that your post came across, I re-iterate, person centred and thus personally insulting to the recipient.

Had the topic been “please read my view and thoughts regarding the long list of seeming flaws with this car” and ended with the statement “personal insulting comments assumptions sarcastic remarks and opinions about the author welcomed” - then and only then could what you wrote be considered acceptable.

Yes, quite clearly, English is indeed my first language , Latin second, and German third.

Your implication is noted.

Matteus XC60 you quote “Let us put our differences on the XC60 aside then” - Well Matteus XC60 there is absolutely no problem with two people having subjective opinions, agreement or disagreement about a vehicle. What it is that one objects to is that your writings appear to be an opinionated direct personal verbal assault.

Finally, an author cannot make comments that clearly come across as insulting sarcastic and upsetting,any the less insulting sarcastic and upsetting by the use of single or multiple “smiley faces”

Thank you

robg Jul 26th, 2011 20:04

Volvorocks,
When you list so many complaints in a forum where the majority of people are passionate about their vehicles you need to expect some flack, so i wouldn't bother getting offended at people replies.

However, i am not especially chuffed with my xc60 either and am looking around at the new A6 or a 5 series instead even though the xc is only a year old.

My view on your list in capitals below, generally i agree with you:

Looks nice and draws admiring looks and comments YES
Relaxing when cruising at a steady 70mph on cruise YES BUT NOISIER THAN I WANTED
Comfy seats OK BUT MY PREVIOUS V50 WAS BETTER
The gruff 5 pot engine is quite a nice sound YES
Big exterior wing mirrors YES
Feels safe. YES
Rarity and somewhat exclusive on road (there may be a very good reason for this) YES

Flaws/Cons
Hard to park and judge size NO
Keyless start operates only on clutch CANT COMMENT
Keyless stop does not apply handbrake (when you have parked and are egressing the vehicle) CANT COMMENT
12v socket missing in front stack if speccing smoker pack CANT COMMENT
“Premium” stereo has dropouts and not that loud nor clear nor worth the extra price. Older Dynaudio much better. YES, ALSO AM DISAPPOINTED WITH PREMIUM SOUND, PREVIOUS V50 MUCH BETTER
Wallowy handling - X3 actually better with ride comfort and handling with its optional suspension pack(mmm this will open a can of worms!!!) YES
Feels very large on the road although quite small when parked next to X5 Rangie or Santa Fe YES
Rangie easier to place on road despite being larger CANT COMMENT
Using Ipod or USB to play music - sensus gets confused and lists previous track name CANT COMMENT
Cruise not intuitive and has to be switched on every time vehicle started I AM HAPPY WITH VOLVO CRUISE, MUCH BETTER THAN MY ALFA.
Rain sense wipers not intuitive - if rain sensors are on (and in most cars that have this feature sometimes they go to fast when not raining or to slow when raining - if you flick the wiper stalk to do a sweep or flick to stop this it switches off the “rain sense” function - you then have to reset the rain sense function MINE DOES NOT DO THIS BUT AGREE THE RAIN SENSORS ARE RUBBISH
Global closing of windows and sunroof needs keyfob to operate which defeats the object of it being keyless - (windows cannot be closed using the button on the door - but hey you can on a Citroen!!) HMM HOW ELSE WOULD YOU DO IT WITHOUT A KEYFOB YOU CANT HAVE EVERYTHING
Ride is hard and crashy when going over bumps or over “road coming to end lines” YES, DISAPPOINTING
You can hear cars as though window is open even with “double laminate glazing” and wind noise YES, LAMINATE WAS A WASTE OF MY MONEY TOO
Trip mileometer primative - similar to a 1990 Ford Fiesta NOT BROKE DONT FIX?
No fuel gallons used on trip computer WOULD BE NICE BUT DONT CARE.
Trip computer needs to be pressed and then scrolled through with separate wheel. Not intuitive. NOT ON MINE.
Not that economical D5 manual with fast and slow driving mix of urban and motorway 32mpg YES D5 ECONOMY DISAPPOINTING AT MOTORWAY SPEED, FINE ROUND TOWN
Seat belt cuts into throat so very dangerous not to mention uncomfortable. No adjuster. VOLVO SEATBALETS HAVE A SLOT WHICH AUTO ADJUSTS, MIN ARE FINE.
Lack of storage options - why not have an in floor cubby and under seat cubby? GOOD IDEA.
Large bottle of water (1 litre) will not fit in door bin BUT 1/2 OR 3/4 LITRE BOTTLE ROLLS AROUND, IT SHOULD HAVE A SPRING CLAMP IR SOMETHING
Small bottle of water if placed in cup holders falls over and fouls gear stick if full - so water bottle best be “half full” YES
Lack of cubby storage in boot - why not have cubbies in side of boot IHAVE ELASTIC MESH IT IS FINE BUT EXPENSIVE.
Play stereo and (understandably) everything stored in door bins (only storage that is available really) vibrates YES OF COURSE; TURN IT DOWN THEN
Feels unwieldy in town driving situations I AM HAPPY IN TOWN
Why not have an F1 style integrated fuel cap not a screw one. Dirty smelly fuel tainted hands similar to 1990 Ford Fiesta NOT MANY OTHER CARS HAVE THIS BUT IT WOULD BE NICE
Slippy leather steering wheel I AM HAPPY WITH THE WHEEL
Cannot use last few inches of space in boot as power tailgate will not close as it needs this extra space - which is understandable although manual closing boot lids do not suffer with this problem YES, I HATE THE POWER TAILGATE
When open door after ignition off cannot close open window with electric window switches (no 30 second power allowance) THINK AHEAD THEN, YOU WILL SOON LEARN.
Open door with ignition on - BONG BONG chime - so cannot play stereo say when parked up and relaxing on camp chairs looking at scenic views as you get BONG BONG chime THIS MUST BE A QUIRK OF KEYLESS.
Cannot drive with belt off eg on private farmland or when reversing - BONG BONG chime THATS LIFE WITH A VOLVO I'M AFRAID
Different BONG BONG chimes -just to let you know that you are actually in a car say with the door open...yes I know...I opened the door...lol..so I know thank you..yes I turned the ignition on ...so i know...thank you again....as Jeremy Clarkson might say......well I dont know what he might say as he is un predictable ...lol..LOL LOL
Have to move head to left and backwards when moving sun visor to side window as head is hit with sun visor THAT IS THE SAME IN EVERY CAR I HAVE EVER DRIVEN
Electric hand brake in the most ridiculous place - stretch to operate -why not place closer to driver YES
Unload car so door open with interior lights on - which go off after about a minute which means you have to shut the door and open it again to activate interior lights to see what you are doing - annoying late night early morning for neighbours with open door close door open door bang scenario YES
Open power tailgate and car rear lights illuminate (to warn boot lid is open supposedly) - which draws attention to your contents in the boot - yet there is no interior boot light so you yourself cannot see what is in boot! MINE HAS A BOOT INTERIOR LIGHT, RED LIGHTS DRAW ATENTION TO THE FACT SOMETHING IS GOING ON AND MAKES YOU LESS LIKELY TO BE HIT BY A CAR, MAKES SENSE TO ME.
When closing doors - they do not close with that re-assuring “thud” of a premium car.(2 do 2 don’t) I THINK THIS IS LIFE WITH NEW LIGHT WEIGHT DOORS IN ALL CARS.
12v sockets fell “loose”N/A
12v power socket in boot always live - so remember to unplug your microwave or portable fridge freezer - although can see the point in so far as if you want a quick shower with a portable shower you do not have to have the ignition on - although why not have a little switch in the boot - “on” (power permanently on) and “off” power only on when ignition on.IF IT TURNED OF PEOPLE WOULD COMPLAIN THE FRIDGE DOESNT STAY COLD, LEARN, ADAPT.
Vehicle not as potent nor accelerative when 5 people in (ok they were quite hefty!!) and unfair to compare to Jag XJR which is unruffled with extra weight. This Volvo vehicle knows it is carrying weight and complains! YES
Wash windows whilst driving with windows open and if headlamp wash comes on expect shower in drivers seat! AS PER OTHER POSTS, LEARN, ADAPT, ALL CARS DO THIS IT IS BASIC AERO DYNAMICS
Chrome strip on bonnet feels flimsy - be careful when opening bonnet! YES
The dreaded DPF (common problem with all vehicles so fitted) - 12mpg on motorway when “regenning“ with accompanying power loss…!!! - sort of scientifically worked it out that the car is running with around 100bhp max!!N/A

All cost options /technology / goodies not as good as what other car manufacturers offer as standard or cheaper as cost options and that which Volvo charge top dollar for

£38k…???……worth £22k max

If the car was a kid at school the teachers report may state - “Vera is a very clever girl and has ability and so much potential so could do so much better if she concentrated and applied her talents to the job in hand”

Regards[/QUOTE]

volvorocks Jul 26th, 2011 20:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by robg (Post 954071)
Volvorocks,
When you list so many complaints in a forum where the majority of people are passionate about their vehicles you need to expect some flack, so i wouldn't bother getting offended at people replies.

However, i am not especially chuffed with my xc60 either and am looking around at the new A6 or a 5 series instead even though the xc is only a year old.

My view on your list in capitals below, generally i agree with you:

Looks nice and draws admiring looks and comments YES
Relaxing when cruising at a steady 70mph on cruise YES BUT NOISIER THAN I WANTED
Comfy seats OK BUT MY PREVIOUS V50 WAS BETTER
The gruff 5 pot engine is quite a nice sound YES
Big exterior wing mirrors YES
Feels safe. YES
Rarity and somewhat exclusive on road (there may be a very good reason for this) YES

Flaws/Cons
Hard to park and judge size NO
Keyless start operates only on clutch CANT COMMENT
Keyless stop does not apply handbrake (when you have parked and are egressing the vehicle) CANT COMMENT
12v socket missing in front stack if speccing smoker pack CANT COMMENT
“Premium” stereo has dropouts and not that loud nor clear nor worth the extra price. Older Dynaudio much better. YES, ALSO AM DISAPPOINTED WITH PREMIUM SOUND, PREVIOUS V50 MUCH BETTER
Wallowy handling - X3 actually better with ride comfort and handling with its optional suspension pack(mmm this will open a can of worms!!!) YES
Feels very large on the road although quite small when parked next to X5 Rangie or Santa Fe YES
Rangie easier to place on road despite being larger CANT COMMENT
Using Ipod or USB to play music - sensus gets confused and lists previous track name CANT COMMENT
Cruise not intuitive and has to be switched on every time vehicle started I AM HAPPY WITH VOLVO CRUISE, MUCH BETTER THAN MY ALFA.
Rain sense wipers not intuitive - if rain sensors are on (and in most cars that have this feature sometimes they go to fast when not raining or to slow when raining - if you flick the wiper stalk to do a sweep or flick to stop this it switches off the “rain sense” function - you then have to reset the rain sense function MINE DOES NOT DO THIS BUT AGREE THE RAIN SENSORS ARE RUBBISH
Global closing of windows and sunroof needs keyfob to operate which defeats the object of it being keyless - (windows cannot be closed using the button on the door - but hey you can on a Citroen!!) HMM HOW ELSE WOULD YOU DO IT WITHOUT A KEYFOB YOU CANT HAVE EVERYTHING
Ride is hard and crashy when going over bumps or over “road coming to end lines” YES, DISAPPOINTING
You can hear cars as though window is open even with “double laminate glazing” and wind noise YES, LAMINATE WAS A WASTE OF MY MONEY TOO
Trip mileometer primative - similar to a 1990 Ford Fiesta NOT BROKE DONT FIX?
No fuel gallons used on trip computer WOULD BE NICE BUT DONT CARE.
Trip computer needs to be pressed and then scrolled through with separate wheel. Not intuitive. NOT ON MINE.
Not that economical D5 manual with fast and slow driving mix of urban and motorway 32mpg YES D5 ECONOMY DISAPPOINTING AT MOTORWAY SPEED, FINE ROUND TOWN
Seat belt cuts into throat so very dangerous not to mention uncomfortable. No adjuster. VOLVO SEATBALETS HAVE A SLOT WHICH AUTO ADJUSTS, MIN ARE FINE.
Lack of storage options - why not have an in floor cubby and under seat cubby? GOOD IDEA.
Large bottle of water (1 litre) will not fit in door bin BUT 1/2 OR 3/4 LITRE BOTTLE ROLLS AROUND, IT SHOULD HAVE A SPRING CLAMP IR SOMETHING
Small bottle of water if placed in cup holders falls over and fouls gear stick if full - so water bottle best be “half full” YES
Lack of cubby storage in boot - why not have cubbies in side of boot IHAVE ELASTIC MESH IT IS FINE BUT EXPENSIVE.
Play stereo and (understandably) everything stored in door bins (only storage that is available really) vibrates YES OF COURSE; TURN IT DOWN THEN
Feels unwieldy in town driving situations I AM HAPPY IN TOWN
Why not have an F1 style integrated fuel cap not a screw one. Dirty smelly fuel tainted hands similar to 1990 Ford Fiesta NOT MANY OTHER CARS HAVE THIS BUT IT WOULD BE NICE
Slippy leather steering wheel I AM HAPPY WITH THE WHEEL
Cannot use last few inches of space in boot as power tailgate will not close as it needs this extra space - which is understandable although manual closing boot lids do not suffer with this problem YES, I HATE THE POWER TAILGATE
When open door after ignition off cannot close open window with electric window switches (no 30 second power allowance) THINK AHEAD THEN, YOU WILL SOON LEARN.
Open door with ignition on - BONG BONG chime - so cannot play stereo say when parked up and relaxing on camp chairs looking at scenic views as you get BONG BONG chime THIS MUST BE A QUIRK OF KEYLESS.
Cannot drive with belt off eg on private farmland or when reversing - BONG BONG chime THATS LIFE WITH A VOLVO I'M AFRAID
Different BONG BONG chimes -just to let you know that you are actually in a car say with the door open...yes I know...I opened the door...lol..so I know thank you..yes I turned the ignition on ...so i know...thank you again....as Jeremy Clarkson might say......well I dont know what he might say as he is un predictable ...lol..LOL LOL
Have to move head to left and backwards when moving sun visor to side window as head is hit with sun visor THAT IS THE SAME IN EVERY CAR I HAVE EVER DRIVEN
Electric hand brake in the most ridiculous place - stretch to operate -why not place closer to driver YES
Unload car so door open with interior lights on - which go off after about a minute which means you have to shut the door and open it again to activate interior lights to see what you are doing - annoying late night early morning for neighbours with open door close door open door bang scenario YES
Open power tailgate and car rear lights illuminate (to warn boot lid is open supposedly) - which draws attention to your contents in the boot - yet there is no interior boot light so you yourself cannot see what is in boot! MINE HAS A BOOT INTERIOR LIGHT, RED LIGHTS DRAW ATENTION TO THE FACT SOMETHING IS GOING ON AND MAKES YOU LESS LIKELY TO BE HIT BY A CAR, MAKES SENSE TO ME.
When closing doors - they do not close with that re-assuring “thud” of a premium car.(2 do 2 don’t) I THINK THIS IS LIFE WITH NEW LIGHT WEIGHT DOORS IN ALL CARS.
12v sockets fell “loose”N/A
12v power socket in boot always live - so remember to unplug your microwave or portable fridge freezer - although can see the point in so far as if you want a quick shower with a portable shower you do not have to have the ignition on - although why not have a little switch in the boot - “on” (power permanently on) and “off” power only on when ignition on.IF IT TURNED OF PEOPLE WOULD COMPLAIN THE FRIDGE DOESNT STAY COLD, LEARN, ADAPT.
Vehicle not as potent nor accelerative when 5 people in (ok they were quite hefty!!) and unfair to compare to Jag XJR which is unruffled with extra weight. This Volvo vehicle knows it is carrying weight and complains! YES
Wash windows whilst driving with windows open and if headlamp wash comes on expect shower in drivers seat! AS PER OTHER POSTS, LEARN, ADAPT, ALL CARS DO THIS IT IS BASIC AERO DYNAMICS
Chrome strip on bonnet feels flimsy - be careful when opening bonnet! YES
The dreaded DPF (common problem with all vehicles so fitted) - 12mpg on motorway when “regenning“ with accompanying power loss…!!! - sort of scientifically worked it out that the car is running with around 100bhp max!!N/A

£38k…???……worth £22k max

Regards

[/QUOTE]

Hi Robg

Thank you for your response to the thread.

Yes I agree with your statement below.Very true

"When you list so many complaints in a forum where the majority of people are passionate about their vehicles you need to expect some flack, so i wouldn't bother getting offended at people replies"

I was just thinking this minute just the same as you that people can become passionate about their vehicle and thus become defensive when negative opinions are expressed about the same model of vehicle - and I was more annoyed that someone one could or would actually write what he or she did in such an insulting and sarcastic manner they did as all I was hoping to achieve by writing my original piece was to seek others opinions , feelings , thoughts, whether in agreement or disagreement about the car........not the person who wrote it...lol..!!

Yes you make some valid and humerous points as Stu did ( when he said the storage didnt disappear between my test drive and build!!) and the fact BONG BONG was infuriating when listening to the stereo with the door open (car parked up of course!!) - it never occurred to me to just press the stereo "on" button instead of the ignition!!! - must admit to being a bit non thinking on that one - so glad he pointed it out as it may never have occured to me...lol.Thats what this forum is all about I suppose! - and yes one has to adapt.It must be admitted that whilst not unhappy with the vehicle , and it is appreciated you have to get used to things being different perhaps there certainly was a bit of oversight when in the showroom!!

Like the keyless starting facility , indeed a laguna has the facility to globally close windows whilst pushing the door button as does Mercedes S Class Ford vehicles and I think (although will stand corrected on this) BMW models.

Yes agree with the reasoniing for rear lights to be on from a safety point of view as Volvo states in the booklet (which is a good idea)although none the less still dislike being lit up like an Xmas tree for all and sundry to know that the boot is open via mega bright rear lights and they may go and take a closer look - or maybe something else!!!

The sun visor by the way only hits my head in the XC...irrespective of seat adjustment!

Probably also a bit daft to open the car window when driving and then wash the screen accompanied with powerful headlamp washer spray - perhaps the dog shouldnt have had a piece of steak for tea if you get my jist (gist)..lol

Anyway cheers for your reply

Regards

Matteus XC60 Jul 26th, 2011 20:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by volvorocks (Post 954067)
Matteus XC60

I shall make it as short and as clear as possible for you Matteus.XC60

blah blah blah......

Thank you

That's as short and as clear as you can possibly make it huh? Sort of proves one of my points I think. Anyway let's stop this nonsense - you sound quite depressed and I really don't want to add to this any further :( I couldn't help wondering what sort of person lists Latin as their second language though......;)

volvorocks Jul 26th, 2011 20:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matteus XC60 (Post 954106)
That's as short and as clear as you can possibly make it huh? Sort of proves one of my points I think. Anyway let's stop this nonsense - you sound quite depressed and I really don't want to add to this any further :( I couldn't help wondering what sort of person lists Latin as their second language though......;)

That was a short as I could make it , yet you still do not appear to understand.

Have some time out for reflection.

Keep wondering and making your assumptions then MatteusXC60.

Goodbye and good luck

Matteus XC60 Jul 26th, 2011 21:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by volvorocks (Post 954114)
That was a short as I could make it , yet you still do not appear to understand.

Have some time out for reflection.

Keep wondering and making your assumptions then MatteusXC60.

Goodbye and good luck

There you go, now you're getting it! Well done.:thumbs_up:

darbs Jul 26th, 2011 21:05

matteus and volvorocks, i have come to like both your sets of posts and consider you both to add value to this forum. you are very different people, and need to appreciate that. i think you ought to agree to disagree on the manner of this debate.

that aside, volvorocks, why don't you pick your top 5 gripes with the car and discuss them with all? it's just a suggestion to help keep things readable in the 2 minute spells each of us get to look at the forum throughout the day.

Matteus XC60 Jul 26th, 2011 21:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by darbs (Post 954122)
matteus and volvorocks, i have come to like both your sets of posts and consider you both to add value to this forum. you are very different people, and need to appreciate that. i think you ought to agree to disagree on the manner of this debate.

that aside, volvorocks, why don't you pick your top 5 gripes with the car and discuss them with all? it's just a suggestion to help keep things readable in the 2 minute spells each of us get to look at the forum throughout the day.

Just having some fun really Darb old chap, but you are the voice of reason (you should be on some sort of world peace forum mate) so I shall desist my mischief ;)

irishcarfan Jul 26th, 2011 21:30

As I'm impartial, I just thought I'd stick up for volvorocks - who seems to be getting a hard time because... he expressed his opinion. I like the XC60 section as it is usually kept uptodate and is pretty positive, but I'm sure if some of you guys read back through this thread, you'll see that you're taking it a bit too personally. Telling the guy that he is wrong and to go and post on another forum isn't too good...

I actually thought it was quite a helpful post - and I wish more people would give such detailed impressions of their cars whether good or bad.

volvorocks Jul 26th, 2011 21:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by darbs (Post 954122)

Hi Darbs

I appreciate your comments.Thank you.

I am always happy and willing to agree to disagree on a topic and as you quite rightly say everyone is different and thus has differeing views on a subject.

Some peeps think a model of car is slow and uncomfy - others think otherwise.Thats great.Thats what makes a forum and adds variety to life in general I believe.

I appreciate and enjoy reading different viewpoints and contributing.

However I am unable to agree to disagree when one makes clearly assumed insulting statements or sarcastic person centred remarks as I feel it is unacceptable , whether intended or not.

All gripes listed with the car are 1st= by the way....lol.

I am not actually unhappy with the car , just considered it would be great to obtain each and everyones thoughts and feelings in their own way regarding the car instead of remarks about me..!!!!!

Comments welcome

Regards

volvorocks Jul 26th, 2011 21:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishcarfan (Post 954144)
As I'm impartial, I just thought I'd stick up for volvorocks - who seems to be getting a hard time because... he expressed his opinion. I like the XC60 section as it is usually kept uptodate and is pretty positive, but I'm sure if some of you guys read back through this thread, you'll see that you're taking it a bit too personally. Telling the guy that he is wrong and to go and post on another forum isn't too good...

I actually thought it was quite a helpful post - and I wish more people would give such detailed impressions of their cars whether good or bad.

I appreciate your post and understanding Irishcarfan. Thank you

Yes the intention was to obtain views on the car and to see if I was operating anything incorrectly or peeps had a solution or differing views!

Regards

crossedover Jul 26th, 2011 21:52

Well VR I'm sorry you are disappointed with your car, I have to say I'm very pleased with mine. I won't comment in detail on your post but have the following points:-

- I'm surprised at your comments re ride - I find it a very well judged compromise between comfort and handling. What model do you have, mine is an SE Lux Premium, maybe softer than the R-design. It's certainly less wallowy than my wife's CR-V. That said my previous car was a BMW M-Sport spec so pretty firm!

- Again I'm surprised at comments re Premium sound - I find it excellent and more than loud enough - and trust me I'm no quiet classics lover! I do find it makes the doors rattle though, and will bring that up at the QA inspection.

- I find the performance very good given the size of the car, and indeed in sports mode pretty decent. Just done a full-to-the-brim trip to south of France and it shrugged off the load admirably.

- MPG is fine given size and power of car. 36.5 mpg on France trip. Official figures are misleading but that's the fault of the tests not the car IMO.

- Sensus is buggy and I've hit your issue WRT track display getting confused. I'm hoping the software update I should get soon will resolve some issues.

- As regards value, my wife has a top-spec CR-V which cost IIRC 26k, I paid 34k for the XC60 including geartronic and sunroof. There is no doubt the XC60 feels a league ahead in terms of perceived quality and well worth the extra. And the CR-V is a bloody decent car.

All the best and I hope your car grows on you :)

darbs Jul 26th, 2011 22:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by volvorocks (Post 954149)
Hi Darbs

I appreciate your comments.Thank you.

I am always happy and willing to agree to disagree on a topic and as you quite rightly say everyone is different and thus has differeing views on a subject.

Some peeps think a model of car is slow and uncomfy - others think otherwise.Thats great.Thats what makes a forum and adds variety to life in general I believe.

I appreciate and enjoy reading different viewpoints and contributing.

However I am unable to agree to disagree when one makes clearly assumed insulting statements or sarcastic person centred remarks as I feel it is unacceptable , whether intended or not.

All gripes listed with the car are 1st= by the way....lol.

I am not actually unhappy with the car , just considered it would be great to obtain each and everyones thoughts and feelings in their own way regarding the car instead of remarks about me..!!!!!

Comments welcome

Regards

i'm sorry you've felt insulted by other comments on this thread. having seen just about every post from everyone in this thread over the past 6 months, i can assure you no harm was intended by anyone.

that said, i think you'd get a similar reaction to a long list of negatives, if not worse, from other car forums. rightly or wrongly, people can be very passionate about their motors. i know i am about my xc60. i love it.

darbs Jul 26th, 2011 22:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matteus XC60 (Post 954129)
Just having some fun really Darb old chap, but you are the voice of reason (you should be on some sort of world peace forum mate) so I shall desist my mischief ;)

i know you are mate, and i know you don't mean to insult anyone. you beemer driving t*sser! ;)

volvorocks Jul 26th, 2011 22:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by crossedover (Post 954167)
Well VR I'm sorry you are disappointed with your car, I have to say I'm very pleased with mine. I won't comment in detail on your post but have the following points:-

- I'm surprised at your comments re ride - I find it a very well judged compromise between comfort and handling. What model do you have, mine is an SE Lux Premium, maybe softer than the R-design. It's certainly less wallowy than my wife's CR-V. That said my previous car was a BMW M-Sport spec so pretty firm!

- Again I'm surprised at comments re Premium sound - I find it excellent and more than loud enough - and trust me I'm no quiet classics lover! I do find it makes the doors rattle though, and will bring that up at the QA inspection.

- I find the performance very good given the size of the car, and indeed in sports mode pretty decent. Just done a full-to-the-brim trip to south of France and it shrugged off the load admirably.

- MPG is fine given size and power of car. 36.5 mpg on France trip. Official figures are misleading but that's the fault of the tests not the car IMO.

- Sensus is buggy and I've hit your issue WRT track display getting confused. I'm hoping the software update I should get soon will resolve some issues.

- As regards value, my wife has a top-spec CR-V which cost IIRC 26k, I paid 34k for the XC60 including geartronic and sunroof. There is no doubt the XC60 feels a league ahead in terms of perceived quality and well worth the extra. And the CR-V is a bloody decent car.

All the best and I hope your car grows on you :)

Hi Crossedover

Yes Im sure the car will grow on me -although not too much as its big enough already!:car-smiley-031:

Yes the model is the same as yours and I do recall from the test drive that the suspension seemed softer.Maybe this was due to more mileage on the demo , I dont know ,although was a tad disappointed upon first drive in comparison.This then led me to make a comparison between Picasso (yes reknowned for soft ride) and Peugeot ( again a softer ride).Setting those vehicles aside as they may be an unfair comparison it was still felt that the ride on XC could be more compliant without sacrificing handling.

Yes XC looks and feels a premium car , although believe that whilst I am not a great fan of BMW or Merc, Volvo struggles in the perceived premium image.

Whilst the stereo does indeed sound ok - I just felt that it did not justify its premium option price especially when compared to even a standard stereo in a mid range saloon - which may not actually sound as good , but is indeed not a premium cost option!! I suppose if you have come from a 2 speaker Fiat stereo to the Volvo Premium Audio then yes its great - but I still feel older Dynaudio was better in volume and clarity than current "Premium Sound"
Same goes for a lot of options that Volvo offer at extra £££ - they seem to be jumping on the BMW Merc bandwagon method of selling!

The MPG , whilst one may not achieve official figures , and that the topic has been discussed elsewhere , its still a bit shocking for it to be soooooooo wide of the mark.In an alternate post it was asked if the way people had run in their cars from new had had any effect on reduced or improved fuel consumption - although most peeps simply listed the MPG as oppose to technique!

The peformance is good although feels lesser now - probably due to becoming accustomed. Perhaps I expect a car should gradually get faster ie reducing a second or so off in gear increments the more i get used to it...lol ..lol..!!- although was suprised , that whilst the Volvo didnt as such struggle with a full load , it was noticable!

Mmmm South of France......that sounds very nice indeed..will also have to plan something like that!

Many thanks

volvorocks Jul 26th, 2011 22:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by darbs (Post 954189)
i'm sorry you've felt insulted by other comments on this thread. having seen just about every post from everyone in this thread over the past 6 months, i can assure you no harm was intended by anyone.

that said, i think you'd get a similar reaction to a long list of negatives, if not worse, from other car forums. rightly or wrongly, people can be very passionate about their motors. i know i am about my xc60. i love it.

Hi Darbs

Thank you for your post.

Yes I do agree with what you say and yes , people can be passionate (perhaps borderline defensive) about their cars , although did feel Matteus XC60 went rather too far with the personal comments , which were more annoying than anything and not what one expects in a friendly conservative Volvo forum.

Its just that my method of thinking, is that if I owned a vehicle about which I was passionate and someone else came along and listed what seems a large array of flaws or negatives about the same model , I would simply proffer my opinion about the vehicle for discussion and perhaps defend the vehicle, not possibly directly annoy insult offend or sarcastically verbally attack the person that wrote it..!!!

I know everyone is different and that should be applauded and welcomed, although verbal assaults unintentional or not should be avoided at all cost...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Regards

crossedover Jul 26th, 2011 23:02

Hi VR,

I won't continue the debate too much, as I think we're starting to get into one man's meat is another man's poison territory.

However, WRT MPG, I can pretty much reproduce the official figures closely if I drive carefully and stick to the terms of the test. Who does that though? It was the same with my BMW - claimed combined 50mpg, reality 42-44.

The thing with cars like the XC60, i.e. heavy and not all that aerodynamic, big acceleration or high speed cruising costs dearer than similar excursions in cars such as a '90s Fiesta ;)

All the best :)

simonjedrake Jul 26th, 2011 23:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by volvorocks (Post 953123)
Pros
Global closing of windows and sunroof needs keyfob to operate which defeats the object of it being keyless - (windows cannot be closed using the button on the door - but hey you can on a Citroen!!)

Regards

VR.
I am at a loss with a lot of your "gripes" whilst accepting that some have a degree of validility.
As with any new car owner in today's technology driven age that we live in. a lot (not all) of potential issues actually go away when the car's manual is read - and then read again - which is when I found a solution to your above "gripe".
Like you I have a keyless system which I just love being able to keep in my pocket - but how to close all the windows when the kids have left them open without having to reach into my pocket to get them out. Easy - press for a few seconds the central lock button on the door console & they all auto close. Not as easy as say pressing the external door button for a few seconds as some cars allow you, but hey - it's better than using your key fob.

You have certainly livened up a few forum members who as "darbs" wrote do not mean any malice - but your initial posting was bound to bring out some contrasting & divergent views to yours.....................!!!
In business as a Director my belief is to always "tackle the problem not the person" BUT when people have spent over £40k on a car that is then attacked it's does seem to change peoples attitudes!!

volvorocks Jul 26th, 2011 23:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by simonjedrake (Post 954236)
VR.
I am at a loss with a lot of your "gripes" whilst accepting that some have a degree of validility.
As with any new car owner in today's technology driven age that we live in. a lot (not all) of potential issues actually go away when the car's manual is read - and then read again - which is when I found a solution to your above "gripe".
Like you I have a keyless system which I just love being able to keep in my pocket - but how to close all the windows when the kids have left them open without having to reach into my pocket to get them out. Easy - press for a few seconds the central lock button on the door console & they all auto close. Not as easy as say pressing the external door button for a few seconds as some cars allow you, but hey - it's better than using your key fob.

You have certainly livened up a few forum members who as "darbs" wrote do not mean any malice - but your initial posting was bound to bring out some contrasting & divergent views to yours.....................!!!
In business as a Director my belief is to always "tackle the problem not the person" BUT when people have spent over £40k on a car that is then attacked it's does seem to change peoples attitudes!!

Hi Simonjedrake

Thanks for your post.

Initially the manual was not read , then it was , then the post!
The manual is not too great!!

Yes thanks I have read the manual and noticed that the windows will globally close with the central locking inside the car or likewise globally open.Perhaps as others state it will have to be a matter of getting used to doing things a little different when locking the car - although do still remain a tad disappointed that global closing cannot be done via a door button like a lot of cars!

I appreciate your views and the information

Whilst I agree the original post may bring out contrasting views to my own (the welcomed intention) and that MatteusXC60 may not have meant any malice as you suggest ,there is a fundamental difference between publishing contrasting or disagreeing views about say a vehicle , which are acceptable, as oppose to direct insulting offending sarcastic degrading remarks and assumptions about a person, which are not acceptable and a therefore a risky thing to do!!

Regards

simonjedrake Jul 27th, 2011 00:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by volvorocks (Post 954255)
Hi Simonjedrake

I appreciate your views and the information

Do you never sleep - it's midnight & you are still tapping away on that keyboard..............
Time for me to get some kip - I have a long run tomorrow upto Snowdon with the aim of putting a few more "running in" miles on the new motor.