Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S40 / V40 '96-'04 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Where has everbody gone? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=248581)

druid Apr 16th, 2016 16:33

Where has everbody gone?

Traffic is very slow on here. What has happened that has everyone leaving, did X40's just get unpopular or something?........

Griffithsbilly88 Apr 16th, 2016 18:51

Probably just lack of time mate

netrocyn Apr 16th, 2016 18:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by druid (Post 2095708)
Traffic is very slow on here. What has happened that has everyone leaving, did X40's just get unpopular or something?........

Must be just ticking along reliably!

kieran40 Apr 16th, 2016 20:08

I'm still here so is the old crate :)

Darlo 1 Apr 17th, 2016 00:23

I got an S60 D5 now but i'll still hang around here.

Mount vision rider Apr 17th, 2016 09:29

I'm always about

V40T4R Apr 17th, 2016 10:32

Over here:loser:

druid Apr 17th, 2016 11:11

Nice to see some names i recognise nipping in.

RichardV Apr 17th, 2016 11:53

Newbe over here,maybe i smell bad,and make people stay away :sad-smiley-023:

skyship007 Apr 17th, 2016 13:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardV (Post 2096079)
Newbe over here,maybe i smell bad,and make people stay away :sad-smiley-023:

The French stay away if you say your forum name is Henry V (Agincourt)!

Perhaps they are all outside changing the oil or checking the rear brakes ??

Grahamdub Apr 17th, 2016 13:53

Forums in general are a lot quieter than they used to be as so many people are on Facebook groups. I help run a New Beetle forum and that has just about died a death since we started a Facebook group for the younger members. I know of one forum that closed their Facebook group to save the forum packing up.

druid Apr 17th, 2016 14:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grahamdub (Post 2096130)
Forums in general are a lot quieter than they used to be as so many people are on Facebook groups. I help run a New Beetle forum and that has just about died a death since we started a Facebook group for the younger members. I know of one forum that closed their Facebook group to save the forum packing up.

Ah yes the FB death, i like it but it does not have the same clout that a forum has. And its become a bit of a T4 fan club - what about the rest of us?

foeism Apr 17th, 2016 19:44

Oooo.....a T4 fan club!!

dcw Apr 17th, 2016 20:31

Still floating around here despite now being V40-less.

My problem at the moment is being stupidly busy, mainly with work...

Best to all on here though!

David

V40DSchariot Apr 17th, 2016 20:51

I'm still here.
Sometimes it is just a quick look on, see what's been happening and if I can offer any help to anyone. :thumbs_up:

kieran40 Apr 17th, 2016 22:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by druid (Post 2096137)
Ah yes the FB death, i like it but it does not have the same clout that a forum has. And its become a bit of a T4 fan club - what about the rest of us?

God I hate facebook Druid I refuse to go on it and always have I prefer too talk to people nobody these days actually talks or wants to do anything lol. I find it with all the hobbies not just the volvo club. Be it fishing, kayaking, cb radio, the Honda c90 club I belong too.

I miss the days when people actually interacted met up, I don't think youngsters do it anymore meet up down the seafront on the bikes, arcades, something too eat, meeting up with girls, just having a laugh. Sad day and age today

druid Apr 17th, 2016 23:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by kieran40 (Post 2096391)
God I hate facebook Druid I refuse to go on it and always have I prefer too talk to people nobody these days actually talks or wants to do anything lol. I find it with all the hobbies not just the volvo club. Be it fishing, kayaking, cb radio, the Honda c90 club I belong too.

I miss the days when people actually interacted met up, I don't think youngsters do it anymore meet up down the seafront on the bikes, arcades, something too eat, meeting up with girls, just having a laugh. Sad day and age today

These days its at the "burger bar" or some such, you right it is sad that there are no groups but the bad old days put that to bed, they dont want another mods n rockers scenario.

patrick264 Apr 18th, 2016 00:23

Just back from long holiday with family in US .back at work tomorrow, wide awake now will be struggling to get up though in am
Battery was flat so borrowed my brothers halford charger and charged it up.much better now
Btw
Fuel stateside 1.89 most places to 3 dollars . car I would want if I lived there, camaro , and and dodge silverado truck or ford f150. Their cars seem to have improved. The new Tesla's look good too
Nice to get off the treadmill on occasion.did spot a few kids in cars meeting up at the local superstore lot to show off cars. Nothing rowdy .
I also read few car mag their "cars and driver "mag , they have has a few good writers enjoyed reading that ,

ate too many takeaways

DXMachina Apr 18th, 2016 08:22

I still drop in a posting when I see something in need of correction / clarification / pedantry / an unorthodox viewpoint

Normally I'm off trying to deal with the myriad small problems my Saab causes and bugging the members of several saab-related sites. Its fantastic fun when it works (especially now we get more sun), the engine note is amazing, so comfortable to be in, but it constantly develops small glitches.

I am seriously plotting to fit a secondary engine temp sensor in the [unused] turbo coolant port wired through to a new gauge in the centre console as I'm not sure I trust the onboard instrumentation

villar4sotrondio Apr 18th, 2016 12:57

I personally am well away with the fairies.
I'll explain: having decided I am old enough to have a middle life crisis I reached the conclusion that this event should translate into a new set of wheels to sit alongside Genevieve (my beautiful S40 1.8 Auto).

Of course, logic would dictate that should be one of my forlorn Mercs sitting in my not soon enough to be ex wife's garden... However...
This new set of wheels has to be pre 2000 (as a minimum; better if it is pre 1995).
Now, I have an allergy to rust so I have been unable to source a UK based Volvo or Merc in the condition I require so I am getting into the dark territory of a suitable japanese import:animal-smiley-085:

Just wish me luck.. or any advice you might have...

dcw Apr 18th, 2016 19:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by villar4sotrondio (Post 2096600)
I personally am well away with the fairies.
I'll explain: having decided I am old enough to have a middle life crisis I reached the conclusion that this event should translate into a new set of wheels to sit alongside Genevieve (my beautiful S40 1.8 Auto).

Of course, logic would dictate that should be one of my forlorn Mercs sitting in my not soon enough to be ex wife's garden... However...
This new set of wheels has to be pre 2000 (as a minimum; better if it is pre 1995).
Now, I have an allergy to rust so I have been unable to source a UK based Volvo or Merc in the condition I require so I am getting into the dark territory of a suitable japanese import:animal-smiley-085:

Just wish me luck.. or any advice you might have...

Good luck - it sounds as if you might need it!

David

Volvo2002 Apr 19th, 2016 14:04

Still here, but I post quite rarely now! Don't have the time with work and girlfriends, and the usual haha

ITSv40 Apr 19th, 2016 20:41

I'm still here, but been away from the forum. Just got back from a long weekend in the Algarve. Been walking and sunbathing :) and bombing around in a Renault Clio :(

V40T4R Apr 20th, 2016 00:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by ITSv40 (Post 2097420)
I'm still here, but been away from the forum. Just got back from a long weekend in the Algarve. Been walking and sunbathing :) and bombing around in a Renault Clio :(

Thats lazy.....

druid Apr 20th, 2016 01:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by V40T4R (Post 2097530)
Thats lazy.....

Nice to! :thumbs_up:

ITSv40 Apr 20th, 2016 16:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by V40T4R (Post 2097530)
Thats lazy.....

Yes, it was lazy, but lovely. The wild flowers growing on the cliffs and moorland around Cape St Vincent are truly stunning. So we spent the mornings roaming the cliff tops and sun bathing in the afternoons. Got a lovely tan, but I'm sure no one wants to see that. Love Portugal and it's people.

TEEKIZZLE Apr 20th, 2016 17:20

Lurking no worries.

kieran40 Apr 20th, 2016 19:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by ITSv40 (Post 2097823)
Yes, it was lazy, but lovely. The wild flowers growing on the cliffs and moorland around Cape St Vincent are truly stunning. So we spent the mornings roaming the cliff tops and sun bathing in the afternoons. Got a lovely tan, but I'm sure no one wants to see that. Love Portugal and it's people.

And the wine I hope

Cornishv40 Apr 21st, 2016 16:25

Hello ;)

kieran40 Apr 21st, 2016 20:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cornishv40 (Post 2098379)
Hello ;)

Welcome back pat long time no see :) hope all is good and I was down in Cornwall a few weeks back near bude was going to drive down and see yea but I don't know whereabouts you are in Redruth so didn't get the chance despite the bad weather it was nice too chill out drinking wolf rock in the evenings. I finally met gatos pat I drove up to Essex and met him BBQ in the freezing cold and nice Greek style coffee in abundance really nice guy.

JJPerez Apr 21st, 2016 21:06

I'm still about, as is the S40 and the wife's V40. Both are running like clockwork at the moment. Not had an issue with either of them. I'm doing about 10K of miles a year in mine and it still goes like stink on the motorway :car::thumbs_up:

V40T4R Apr 21st, 2016 23:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by ITSv40 (Post 2097823)

That makes me proud ;) you'r all welcome:)

brent Apr 22nd, 2016 09:41

I'm kind of about, laid up in bed after some surgery. Asleep mainly. the V40 is in quite a few bits as I need to install a heap of the upgrades I got for it, unfortunately whilst I have the time I'm in no shape to do the work!
Plus I still don't know exactly where the climate control sensors are meant to go.
Starting to run out of time too, need to have it back in one piece in about 4 weeks time!

Alex121 Apr 22nd, 2016 12:01

Still here.

I think for as long as my T4 is on the road I'll be here.

warweezil May 16th, 2016 20:15

Not that I'm a regular.... but I still run an eye over the posts there, sadly no progress on the v40 here, the starting issue got far worse, It now has a habit of stalling out in traffic where the rpm drops to around 250rpm or lower with no throttle response and then dies requiring easystart to get it going again oh and she has developed a surge on idle... where she revs to around 2,500 rpm in bursts before topping out at around 3k steady and if I rev her she then drops back to normal. I'm told the MAF sensor is a possible aggravating factor, I did order one off of eBay but when it arrived it turns out that the compatibility checker was wrong and it doesn't fit - the GDI has the one bolted to the airbox.

Yes it needs urgent attention but sadly I have other even more pressing priorities as I try to deal with the fall out of a double heart attack my father had over xmas which has left brain issues that see him now requiring residential care - it is really hard setting this stuff up in our area.

I did actually start a service, changed the oil and filter and replaced both the drop links as advised on the MOT, still need to do the timing belt and rear pads I also have phase 2 lights to fit to it and if I can figure a way to get it moved I know of a full leather interior near Reading that would make a big improvement to my sad looking cloth one which has peeling door panels.

There is much to do - but time is against me.... and the fuel consumption is rising, from 32mpg shes down to 27!

patrick264 May 16th, 2016 20:25

busy with work projects and sore back makes me unable to enjoy working on those summer projects

ITSv40 May 16th, 2016 20:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by warweezil (Post 2110981)
Not that I'm a regular.... but I still run an eye over the posts there, sadly no progress on the v40 here, the starting issue got far worse, It now has a habit of stalling out in traffic where the rpm drops to around 250rpm or lower with no throttle response and then dies requiring easystart to get it going again oh and she has developed a surge on idle... where she revs to around 2,500 rpm in bursts before topping out at around 3k steady and if I rev her she then drops back to normal. I'm told the MAF sensor is a possible aggravating factor, I did order one off of eBay but when it arrived it turns out that the compatibility checker was wrong and it doesn't fit - the GDI has the one bolted to the airbox.

Yes it needs urgent attention but sadly I have other even more pressing priorities as I try to deal with the fall out of a double heart attack my father had over xmas which has left brain issues that see him now requiring residential care - it is really hard setting this stuff up in our area.

I did actually start a service, changed the oil and filter and replaced both the drop links as advised on the MOT, still need to do the timing belt and rear pads I also have phase 2 lights to fit to it and if I can figure a way to get it moved I know of a full leather interior near Reading that would make a big improvement to my sad looking cloth one which has peeling door panels.

There is much to do - but time is against me.... and the fuel consumption is rising, from 32mpg shes down to 27!

As much as I love working on my cars and keeping them in tip top condition, there are other priorities in life. Your health and that of your family has to come first. Having suffered a heart attack last November and two subsequent operations, I now have a different outlook on life, even though I have made a full recovery. Yes, it is frustrating not having the time to do everything you want to do, but look after your Father first, everything else can wait. Good luck.:)

luggsey May 17th, 2016 06:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by warweezil (Post 2110981)

Best wishes to your Dad mate.:thumbs_up:

morrismen May 19th, 2016 08:10

I'm still here... at least in body, spirit. Not sure what happened to my mind??? ;)

martin93 May 19th, 2016 17:39

I sold my 1998 V40 late last year for a 2011 C30... which recently seems like an expensive mistake. May well be back on here soon, but still not posting anything since the V40 never actually went wrong!