Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   XC90 '02–'15 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   AWD Transmission: how many of you have suffered AWD system issues? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=105769)

y2blade Sep 29th, 2010 17:10

how many of you have suffered AWD system issues?

I'm very interested as my Sister is looking at XC90 D5s

my poll is prompted by this thread
http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=66098

let's have a show of hands to get a clearer picture on this issue
feel free to add the cost of repair to your reply
:thumbs_up:

if it is a problem but not a big ££££'s Problem, then not so bad in the grand scheme of things

thank you all in advance

jtaw45 Sep 29th, 2010 17:19

Mine went on my 2004,only went in July.92k on the clock. £324 to repair at Harratts,Wakefield.

bobdabuilda Sep 29th, 2010 17:29

awd oil pressure sensor- done under warranty just before it ran out but may have problems again and will find oot tomorrow.....

Britsud Sep 29th, 2010 19:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by y2blade (Post 749536)
I'm very interested as my Sister is looking at XC90 D5s

my poll is prompted by this thread
http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=66098

let's have a show of hands to get a clearer picture on this issue
feel free to add the cost of repair to your reply
:thumbs_up:

if it is a problem but not a big ££££'s Problem, then not so bad in the grand scheme of things

thank you all in advance

Ive owned a 2004 se an 2006 exec and now a 2008 sport no problems with any only issue slight vibration noise at 2000 revs when cold on my 2008 but sorted with software upgrade otherwise faultless ownership just cant see me changing my sport for r design next year as wont buy a car that can not carry a spare (blow out and it spoils your day ) Great cars

NCS XC90 Sep 29th, 2010 19:47

have a 53 D5 SE. No problem yet (75k millage). Have not checked it since Christmas though.
Neil

REDSHEEPRIDD Sep 29th, 2010 19:49

2004 54 plate SE D5 auto 78K

Still going strong - no issues at all - well tested again today in the torrential rain.

Ron_XC90 Sep 29th, 2010 20:18

I have not had the awd problems, but believe the problem mainly affects the earlier models (pre-2007)

pdrvolvo Sep 30th, 2010 09:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobdabuilda (Post 749556)
awd oil pressure sensor- done under warranty just before it ran out but may have problems again and will find oot tomorrow.....

i may have a similar problem.i only have 2wd but the propshaft wont turn when standing so the spline situation seems to be ok.is replaceing the o/p sensor a big job ???.any info would be much appreciated.

peter.

owenfackrell Sep 30th, 2010 11:07

As yours is a t6 peter then it doesnt have a splined sleeve and uses a chain to get drive to the prop shaft. You will have to check the hadlex unit which is in the rear sub assembly.

IAV Sep 30th, 2010 17:13

New propshaft required ... £1211. Owned car for 4 weeks ... very unhappy to say the least!!:B_rant:

PS its an XC90 05 T6

RoyMacDonald Oct 1st, 2010 21:06

My 2003 never failed but I had it replaced as a precaution for the upgraded sleeve. Cost £375.

BestGear Oct 2nd, 2010 11:39

MY2005... so far all ok!

owenfackrell Oct 2nd, 2010 12:22

I have just had mine replaced and have the old sleeve and will try and post a picture of the part where it failed.

syko Oct 8th, 2010 23:17

had my 04 d5 about 3 months, fitted 2 rear wheel bearings and changed the splined shaft due to only 2 wheel drive, only done 80 k , only thing wrong now is the stupid radio,,, perfect on cd, but on radio stations rear speakers not working righ like a loose connection keep going off but ok on cd been told it could be the icm at a cost of 1kffs!!!piece of ****!!!

Rockhopper Oct 9th, 2010 11:44

Just a thought but have you got the radio settings on Dolby? - it doesn't like this. Try 3 channel instead...

syko Oct 10th, 2010 00:11

il try to find this i remember someone else saying this but can,t seem to find this setting3
cheers

Rockhopper Oct 11th, 2010 19:27

Menu > Audio Settings > AM/FM Radio > Change from ProLogic to 3Ch (I think - from memory ?!)

gshadow325 Nov 10th, 2010 01:24

i have DEM 0006 and DEM0007 codes

changed the pressure sensor out today and i still have the DEM codes

WTF arrg, little buggers cost $98USD plus fluid for $18USD

AlistairXC90 Nov 10th, 2010 10:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by gshadow325 (Post 774496)
i have DEM 0006 and DEM0007 codes

changed the pressure sensor out today and i still have the DEM codes

WTF arrg, little buggers cost $98USD plus fluid for $18USD

That will be the DEM module then. Try cleaning out the contacts and if this doesn't work you need to send for repair or shell out $$ for a new one. In the UK they cost around £1,200 so not cheap.

gshadow325 Nov 10th, 2010 12:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlistairXC90 (Post 774559)
That will be the DEM module then. Try cleaning out the contacts and if this doesn't work you need to send for repair or shell out $$ for a new one. In the UK they cost around £1,200 so not cheap.

currently in the proccess of securing a haldex from a 08 vw r32 for $100. it will come with all the electrics from the AOC. i will have both unit side by side for a comparison. dont think i will try to use the dem itself but the other sensors look the same from the pictures. so far there are two sensors and one pump and one controller. changed the pressure sensor for $100USD and still got a DEM 0006 code and a DEM0007 code after the first test drive. i will check again today for the codes and see it it cleared over night :err:

niguk68 Nov 27th, 2010 20:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by gshadow325 (Post 774632)
currently in the proccess of securing a haldex from a 08 vw r32 for $100. it will come with all the electrics from the AOC. i will have both unit side by side for a comparison. dont think i will try to use the dem itself but the other sensors look the same from the pictures. so far there are two sensors and one pump and one controller. changed the pressure sensor for $100USD and still got a DEM 0006 code and a DEM0007 code after the first test drive. i will check again today for the codes and see it it cleared over night :err:

Hi, how did you get the codes, have you got a scanner?
I have Dem dtc set from the reset/ fog light check and no AWD. Prop spins as it should. Sounds like I have the exact same problem as you.
I had the front of mine jacked up on 2 trolley jacks expecting the car to try and move forward on the jacks. No such look both front wheels spinning like crazy and no attempt at moving forward. I have ordered some oil and a filter from local volvo dealer and was going to get the wife to try and get them to read the codes on Monday when she picks it up.

gshadow325 Nov 28th, 2010 13:03

Got a bar pockets diagnostic tool. My update. No 0007 or 0006 codes any more. Pressure sensor changed and pump .changed. parts were from a 2008vw r32. Same parts. Worked. Like a charm.

y2blade Nov 30th, 2010 12:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by gshadow325 (Post 786423)
Got a bar pockets diagnostic tool. My update. No 0007 or 0006 codes any more. Pressure sensor changed and pump .changed. parts were from a 2008vw r32. Same parts. Worked. Like a charm.

I'm glad to hear that :thumbs_up:

gassergrice Dec 7th, 2010 08:43

XC 90 2wd not AWD

Yes my 05 stuck in about 3cm of snow. Had it for 3 months. Front wheels spinning and no rear wheel action.Awaiting assessment from the Stealership...whwn I can get it out of the snow.
Craig

sisut Dec 7th, 2010 18:51

my late 2003 D5 has no rear drive (found out only after wife and children stuck in snow and noticed only front wheels spinning). Obviously not pleased that Volvo, making cars for so long for the Swedish winters, haven't the capacity to warn drivers that they don't have AWD...and yet I have warnings for the most USELESS other stuff! Car booked into Volvo dealership tomorrow for diagnosis. Simon

niguk68 Dec 12th, 2010 20:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by gshadow325 (Post 786423)

I have searched for the Bar pocket reader you said you have but can't find it anywhere. Is it a hand held device or software on a pda or laptop? and who makes it. I just bought one of the bluetooth elm327 interfaces and it will only do engine ecu modules. I rearly need to get my awd sorted and don't want to pay a stealer.

gshadow325 Dec 13th, 2010 01:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by niguk68 (Post 796409)
I have searched for the Bar pocket reader you said you have but can't find it anywhere. Is it a hand held device or software on a pda or laptop? and who makes it. I just bought one of the bluetooth elm327 interfaces and it will only do engine ecu modules. I rearly need to get my awd sorted and don't want to pay a stealer.

stupid spell check on my cell phone! i have a BSR PPC Diagnostic hand held scan tool

niguk68 Dec 14th, 2010 20:55

AWD Fixed.

I bought a BSR on flebay night before last for £300.00. I got it today plugged it in read and noted codes (27 in all most small items), erased codes switched ignition off and on and guess what I could hear the AOC pump start up. Took for a test drive on the last bit of snow I could find here in the U.k and it was working fine. I plan to drop the oil at the weekend and fit a new filter. I will take photos when I do it.
The DEM code was 000B which is oil pressure. I filled the AOC with quite a lot of oil a couple of weeks ago, considering it only holds 300mls it must have been nearly dry. I guess the unit shut down to protect it. My car has done 54000 Miles so if you own an XC70 or XC90 I would advise you to check the oil and do the filter as Volvo don't on any service or get somone to do it for you if its not for you.

bakerman Jan 6th, 2011 12:47

Pretty convinced mine wasnt working (03 Diesel) when purchased 15months ago but didnt let it bother me - had it confimed in the snow on the driveway this Christmas that the front wheels can happily spin all day without any sign of life at the back end!
Strange thing, with new chunky tyres and all that weight over the front wheels not once did it feel like there was a problem in the snow and ice, even traversed some roads where others were easily getting stuck...(those useless-in-the-snow RWD vehicles that shall remain nameless)

Now - if my rear wheels are not being driven does this go part of the way to explaining why I get such great fuel economy on decent runs? 35-40mpg is not a problem on cross-country/motorway roads....typically 30 on school runs/town driving? Would appreciate anyones opinion on that?

As for getting it fixed - currently dont feel the need to as I live in the S.East and am not aware that I am harming the vehicle? or am I ?
regards.

Ron_XC90 Jan 6th, 2011 13:56

It has been mentioned before that cars suffering the AWD failure, show an improvement in mpg, which makes sense I guess.

I think the main thing affected by not having AWD are the safety features like stability/traction/rollover control as it depends on the AWD system to work

RoyMacDonald Jan 6th, 2011 15:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron_XC90 (Post 811061)
It has been mentioned before that cars suffering the AWD failure, show an improvement in mpg, which makes sense I guess.

I think the main thing affected by not having AWD are the safety features like stability/traction/rollover control as it depends on the AWD system to work

The stability and rollover system is part of the ABS system so will still work. It won't corner as well though, or be as stable at speed.

My 03 XC90 with working AWD gives 35 to 46 mpg so their is virtually no difference without the AWD working, but as it cost very little (£370) to replace the spline sleeve I don't see the point in not getting if fixed and having the transmission work as it's supposed to.

bugi666 Jan 6th, 2011 15:30

Mine still works (touch wood) but when I was reading various threads regarding AWD issues people usually quote two prices: around £400 (bearable) and £1500 (unbearable, sometimes subsidizied by Volvo to around 20-30% the total cost)...
Why there are such differences? Or there are other things apart from the sleeve replacement?

D5Gill Jan 6th, 2011 15:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by bugi666 (Post 811122)
Mine still works (touch wood) but when I was reading various threads regarding AWD issues people usually quote two prices: around £400 (bearable) and £1500 (unbearable, sometimes subsidizied by Volvo to around 20-30% the total cost)...
Why there are such differences? Or there are other things apart from the sleeve replacement?

One quote is just for a new spline sleeve, the second quote is with an angle gear exchange

RoyMacDonald Jan 6th, 2011 15:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by bugi666 (Post 811122)

Some dealers can't seem to be bothered to remove the splined sleeve, which can be difficult, and replace the whole box.

bugi666 Jan 6th, 2011 15:36

but technically, replacing only the sleeve does the trick? (considering there is no damage done to the box otherwise? ). If that's true, someone needs to make UK map of "dealer" and "stealer" ships ;)

RoyMacDonald Jan 6th, 2011 15:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by bugi666 (Post 811127)
but technically, replacing only the sleeve does the trick? (considering there is no damage done to the box otherwise? ). If that's true, someone needs to make UK map of "dealer" and "stealer" ships ;)

It's very rare for the angle drive box to fail and for those that do is usually because an oil leak hasn't been spotted or attended to.

bugi666 Jan 6th, 2011 15:40

Thank you! Still, I'll prey the AWD in mine works for next couple of years :D (05 Plate, 82k miles).

RoyMacDonald Jan 6th, 2011 15:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by bugi666 (Post 811135)
Thank you! Still, I'll prey the AWD in mine works for next couple of years :D (05 Plate, 82k miles).

I wouldn't try and do more than 55,000 miles on the sleeve having had mine replaced at that milage before it failed. I'd book it in for replacement as soon as possible if it was mine.

bugi666 Jan 6th, 2011 15:54

I'm planning a long trip in spring 2011 (approx 4k miles around Europe) so working AWD would be useful - if it fails, it will be probably the moment I need it the most ...
I am wondering if someone else before has replaced it (bought the car with 78k miles on the clock) so thats why I started this thread:
http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=113116

RoyMacDonald Jan 6th, 2011 16:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by bugi666 (Post 811150)
I'm planning a long trip in spring 2011 (approx 4k miles around Europe) so working AWD would be useful - if it fails, it will be probably the moment I need it the most ...
I am wondering if someone else before has replaced it (bought the car with 78k miles on the clock) so thats why I started this thread:
http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=113116

For anyone else buying an 03 to July 06with over 60k I recommend asking if the sleeve had been replaced yet, and if not, asking for it to be done as part of the deal.