Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=201)
-   -   XC60 stolen from driveway (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=289773)

steve99uk Dec 17th, 2018 16:57

XC60 stolen from driveway

Hi,

On Sunday morning around 2.00am two 'gentlemen' walked onto my driveway where my 6 week old XC60 Inscription Pro was parked. 40 seconds later I can see it being backed out and then driven away. No glass or anything else could be seen on the driveway and I didn't know it had gone until 9.30am later that morning. This detail comes from my neighbour’s security camera but that's all I can see from the captured video.

I called 101 (Met Police area) - waited for ages so I gave up and reported the theft online. I haven't heard anything from the police as yet.

I have Volvo On Call active - that showed then as it does now 'Car is in use' and cannot be tracked. I called Volvo on Sunday at 10.00am but they could not connect to the car either.

My dealer where I bought the car has not been very helpful either - just said 'very unfortunate that this incident has happened to you and where we can help we will do all we can'.

I know that keyless entry is a risk to cloning but my dismay/annoyance is that the Volvo Tracking system can be blocked/disabled as quickly as the whole crime took less than a minute.

I hope that do I see the car again but realistically it’s probably in a shipping container now.

Steve

ergonomist Dec 17th, 2018 17:07

That's a bit rubbish - really feel for you. I guess if you want to look for a 'bright side' - at least they didn't break into the house to find the key (as happened up the road from us a few weeks ago).

How close to the car/drive were your keys at the time? I'm trying to work out whether to keep keys in a metal container at night...

roundyuk Dec 17th, 2018 17:11

Problem is if they can't connect to the car (maybe in a steel box like a shipping container) or the battery has been disconnected etc. they won't get anything...

That being said I can't believe they don't have the last known location...? Does the app display a last location once the vehicle is turned off?

If you call VOC with a crime ref they might switch into a different "mode" and be more helpful?

BillyJay Dec 17th, 2018 17:12

Since my wife and I have started keeping our car keys in a tin box we no longer have to search the house trying to find them so I definately recommend it.

AB-UK Dec 17th, 2018 17:22

I thought VOC had a tracking system.

techwatcher Dec 17th, 2018 17:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by ergonomist (Post 2476787)
That's a bit rubbish - really feel for you. I guess if you want to look for a 'bright side' - at least they didn't break into the house to find the key (as happened up the road from us a few weeks ago).

How close to the car/drive were your keys at the time? I'm trying to work out whether to keep keys in a metal container at night...

If you have keyless entry it is definitely worth investing in a Faraday pouch - £7 or so online. This mitigates the risk of the so-called 'relay attack'.

A metal tin will help but due to the physics involved won't be quite as effective as a Faraday pouch.

techwatcher Dec 17th, 2018 17:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by AB-UK (Post 2476799)
I thought VOC had a tracking system.

VOC doesn't have a tracker as such, but it does record the car's last position when it was last switched off.

It doesn't give a position when the car is in use.

MaDProFF Dec 17th, 2018 17:36

Really srry to hear this, judging by sales, ans demand, can see happening more often

What about if journal active, tracks details whole journey

Whiterdesign Dec 17th, 2018 17:50

Supposedly VOC can track the car but they will only do that if they have a crime number, they can also disable the car but will only do this after communicating with the vehicle occupants. It is not possible to do this yourself, you will only see start or end of journey, or “in use” if the car is still being driven. Looks like the scrotes have found a way round this.
See this article
https://www.volvocars.com/uk/support...a8015172792dc2

GTA SOL Dec 17th, 2018 18:01

So sorry this has happened.

Also from a selfish point of view, I’m now worried about my insurance. I was told by my dealer that VOC has a tracker and when I set up my insurance I explained that i had VOC which included a tracker facility. If this is not actually the case I’m wondering if my insurance will be invalid in the case of any potential claim I might need to make.

steve99uk Dec 17th, 2018 18:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTA SOL (Post 2476820)

Also from a selfish point of view, I’m now worried about my insurance. I was told by my dealer that VOC has a tracker and when I set up my insurance I explained that i had VOC which included a tracker facility. If this is not actually the case I’m wondering if my insurance will be invalid in the case of any potential claim I might need to make.

Yes this is very worrying. I just called VOC again and they tried to initiate a trace of the car but it comes up with no position found. Appears that the VOC Tracker is like a chocolate teapot - not fit for purpose as it can get blocked/disabled very quickly. They could offer no additional help at all.

MaDProFF Dec 17th, 2018 18:31

I assume that they started the car using a transmitter off your key that was close enough for them to get a signal, they drove the car down the road and then loaded it into something that would probably shield the gps signal, (I thought there was a sim in the car as well that could be tracked)

Once they turn the ignition off, they cannot start it again with out a key fob?

VOC does track the car and also show a journey between 2 points on a map it has covered, but I guess only when the ignition is on and moving to the point it is turned off again. (assuming you have activated it on the VOC App)

I bet there is a way to track it somehow, it certainly would be interesting to know how they have avoided it so far, unless the car has had parts removed while in transit.

Keep at it, at Police, and Volvo. Good Luck, and let us know if any news.

Regarding Faraday Pouches, if you leave key fob in the pouch does it still work as long as you are next to the car, and it is in your pocket and you can drive, suppose I am answering my own ? it would be pointless if it was so once in the pouch it completely blocks the signal???? thus annoying getting the fob in and out of the faraday pouch every time.

simonjedrake Dec 17th, 2018 18:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve99uk (Post 2476823)
Yes this is very worrying. I just called VOC again and they tried to initiate a trace of the car but it comes up with no position found. Appears that the VOC Tracker is like a chocolate teapot - not fit for purpose as it can get blocked/disabled very quickly. They could offer no additional help at all.

Very sorry to hear about this loss................
Couple of questions that may help us all.
1. Am I correct is saying that your VOC app did not show the cars "Last Trip" with its final destination?
2. As the car was stolen with no break-in, do you believe that the thieves managed to hook up to your keys stored inside the house, if so where they just inside the door?

WhatNext? Dec 17th, 2018 18:32

First of all, sorry for your loss, hope this gets sorted soon.

But this is quite worrying, as I also have my car as having tracker on my insurance

Volvo UK Claim

MaDProFF Dec 17th, 2018 18:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bloke69 (Post 2476833)
First of all, sorry for your loss, hope this gets sorted soon.

But this is quite worrying, as I also have my car as having tracker on my insurance

Volvo UK Claim

Ironic that post was posted or updated a few days ago too

MOzS90 Dec 17th, 2018 18:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by techwatcher (Post 2476801)
If you have keyless entry it is definitely worth investing in a Faraday pouch - £7 or so online. This mitigates the risk of the so-called 'relay attack'.

A metal tin will help but due to the physics involved won't be quite as effective as a Faraday pouch.

Does it work?? I assume you’ve tried to get into your car with the key in the pouch??

Just read MadProf’s post. Surely better than having the car stolen??

techwatcher Dec 17th, 2018 18:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaDProFF (Post 2476831)
Regarding Faraday Pouches, if you leave key fob in the pouch does it still work as long as you are next to the car, and it is in your pocket and you can drive, suppose I am answering my own ? it would be pointless if it was so once in the pouch it completely blocks the signal???? thus annoying getting the fob in and out of the faraday pouch every time.

The pouch blocks the signal completely. You can place the pouch on the door and the car won't open.

It's slightly inconvenient getting the fob in and out of the pouch each time but it does completely mitigate the risk of the relay attack.

MaDProFF Dec 17th, 2018 19:30

The only thing I do make sure is when driving my car, I have key fob in my pocket, and always tell myself if I get jacked turn off engine get out and run, they cannot re start the car.

Philip Fisher Dec 17th, 2018 19:38

On the video did you see any evidence of them carrying an aerial or any kit like that?

Do you have all 3 keys in your possession? Do you have remote unlock on your phone enabled, anr if your phone in your possession?

My keys are kept in a tight fitting tin box at night, but we are all only assuming that this is how they stole the car.

XCeed Dec 17th, 2018 20:01

My sympathies with the OP. I hang my fobs on the inside of a kitchen cabinet door that I have double lined with tinfoil.

HDAV Dec 17th, 2018 20:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by techwatcher (Post 2476841)
The pouch blocks the signal completely. You can place the pouch on the door and the car won't open.

It's slightly inconvenient getting the fob in and out of the pouch each time but it does completely mitigate the risk of the relay attack.

Pouch stops key working regardless of location so will a tin try it old baccy tins are ideal lead lined if you are paranoid....

BiggyG Dec 17th, 2018 20:45

Sorry for your loss and have to say your experience of Police response mirrors my own :(

We keep our keys in a pouch inside a tin overnight. I did try taking the pouch we bought up to the car with the key in and it still unlocked though..... maybe a bit too cheap!

I don’t carry the pouch round all day - defeats the purpose of keyless entry. I also agree with the other person who says at least keeping them in a tin means they don’t lose the keys around the house!

A few weeks ago I came home in pouring rain and in the hurry to get the kids inside left the keys on the passenger seat. Wifey came home, saw the car was unlocked and locked it with her key. Interesting that it locked successfully - glad nobody came around that night.

I would also recommend cameras outside the house. We have three covering the driveway and can see everything. I catch the Amazon man leaving parcels on the doorstep and not even knocking!

crip010 Dec 17th, 2018 21:08

Having recently sold my Discovery 4 and now got a XC90 I out of habit just put my keys in a pouch at night. It really is no biggie and it will save the car. I know 2 people local to me, one a disco and one a merc had their cars stolen with no actual break in.

I know this does not help the loss here for which I am gutted for you but it is worth doing.

This is just the new way to steal cars

Haldex Dec 17th, 2018 21:11

When a second key is locked in the car it is disabled until the car is unlocked.

I must agree with BiggyG- carrying a key in a blocking pouch kind of defeats the purpose of having keyless entry.. And it’s highly unlikely they will use a relay antenna in front of a bar where you’re having a pint after work.. Realistically- the biggest risk is in the driveway- so keeping your keeys as far as possible from doors/windows/external walls + a metal box seems like the best way to prevent this from happening.. Or living in an apartment 6 floors up, like myself :D

On a positive note- this is props to Volvo- finally they are as popular with thieves as the german competitors :D

Chief inspector Dec 17th, 2018 21:30

Sorry to hear this.

Frankly none of the OEM trackers are any use, the thieves have selected your car and will have done their homework, they know exactly how to nobble all factory fitted trackers as theyre all the same.

Volvo can track the vehicle in motion if you have a crime reference, or if it follows a received remote alarm.

I simply wouldn’t have another keyless entry vehicle, there just isnt enough security in the systems.

An Illy coffee tin sorts it,

HDAV Dec 17th, 2018 21:39

My friends with Mercedes and BMW all have 90’s style steering wheel locks, a nearby neighbour almost lost a Lexus was found in the middle of the road at 5am doors open after he parked it on his drive on a Sunday evening.

Haldex Dec 17th, 2018 21:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief inspector (Post 2476897)
I simply wouldn’t have another keyless entry vehicle, there just isnt enough security in the systems.

Right. As you need to be gifted to know how to short the wires to get a car started. And coathangers for door opening are really hard to come by these days.. :rolleyes: Putting padlocks on your doors will cost the thiefs another 30sec- so why not.. it may add up to a whole minute longer, compared to a keyless entry car..

HDAV Dec 17th, 2018 22:15

There isn’t a car made you can’t steal but relay attacks are making it incredibly easy to steal the whole car intact and pass it off as genuine.

Software security is massively important for many reasons and supposed master locksmiths accepting cash depositis for the software hacking devices shipped from overseas doesn’t help....

Stoplock sales will be looking up :confused_smile:

Philip Fisher Dec 17th, 2018 22:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by HDAV (Post 2476917)
There isn’t a car made you can’t steal but relay attacks are making it incredibly easy to steal the whole car intact and pass it off as genuine.

Software security is massively important for many reasons and supposed master locksmiths accepting cash depositis for the software hacking devices shipped from overseas doesn’t help....

Stoplock sales will be looking up :confused_smile:

I have a 20 year old Disklock which I use on the motorhome but if i go to London and take the Volvo I take it with me as a bit of extra security. It still feels properly solid.....

Crockers Dec 17th, 2018 23:08

I've just ordered a Faraday pouch as both our cars "keyless"''

simonjedrake Dec 17th, 2018 23:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crockers (Post 2476929)
I've just ordered a Faraday pouch as both our cars "keyless"''

I feel fortunate that I always park my Volvo inside a securely locked brick built garage, and never left on my driveway overnight.

Crockers Dec 18th, 2018 08:04

Wish I had room...Double garage used as massive store room lol.

HamDenFede Dec 18th, 2018 09:02

We really need more information on this matter. In my opinion we have two major issues related to the safety of our cars:
- The theft itself (how)?
- Why Volvo On Call completely fails in every aspects (no last info, no tracking nothing) in this specific situation?

My dealer told me specifically that On Call could not be retrofitted, because it was highly integrated into the heart of the car and the electric modules, and thus it was one of the best tracking and security solutions. That it can be completely neutralized in seconds just sounds wrong.

Chief inspector Dec 18th, 2018 10:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by HamDenFede (Post 2476968)
We really need more information on this matter. In my opinion we have two major issues related to the safety of our cars:
- The theft itself (how)?
- Why Volvo On Call completely fails in every aspects (no last info, no tracking nothing) in this specific situation?

My dealer told me specifically that On Call could not be retrofitted, because it was highly integrated into the heart of the car and the electric modules, and thus it was one of the best tracking and security solutions. That it can be completely neutralized in seconds just sounds wrong.

- Assumed to be by amplification of the car-fob signal to simulate the key firstly being in the proximity of the door, then in the car interior. Done silently with no force.

- You need to be on this quickly, they will know where the module is and how to disable it, it probably didn’t happen on the drive, but beacuase the alarm wasn’t triggered it want tracked straight away. BMW and VAG make a poorer job of hiding and protecting the module and these are usually disabled within a minute of the drive away by the second man while the car is in motion. I’m not stating where these are, but its out there for thieves.

Clan Dec 18th, 2018 10:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTA SOL (Post 2476820)

with the track function you have to contact the on call centre by other means of course and they will talk with the police regarding the cars position , not much good if the car is in a container though . first case of a volvo being stolen like this , must be getting desirable …

I would highly recommend Automatrics MTrack
They have a 98% return rate , the system has 3 different methods of tracking ,
1 ,GPS which is the usual
2, GSM which calculates the approx. location according to the nearest 2 or 3 phone masts ,
3 ,FM Beacon which can be remotely turned on and sends out a beep for about a mile which will get through a metal container and the exact location can be found with a local radio receiver .
about £350

https://www.trackersecurity.co.uk/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVwcNh6_pNo

MaDProFF Dec 18th, 2018 10:52

I used to run trackers on my bikes, and cars, but tbh I stopped as it is expensive business, and the insurance reduction which once was not too bad is now like a few pounds which personally is taking the P###.

If you are lucky to have a tracker, and get the car back, it is not like the insurance company say well done and thanks, and you saved us £40k + they just up your premium next year.

tricky13 Dec 18th, 2018 10:53

presume if you have the standard key on a MY19 XC60 where you have to press a button to unlock the car - this means it cant be taken in 1 of these style thefts where the key signal is duplicated?

WhatNext? Dec 18th, 2018 10:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief inspector (Post 2476897)
Sorry to hear this.

Frankly none of the OEM trackers are any use, the thieves have selected your car and will have done their homework, they know exactly how to nobble all factory fitted trackers as theyre all the same.

Volvo can track the vehicle in motion if you have a crime reference, or if it follows a received remote alarm.

An Illy coffee tin sorts it,

Is that tried and tested (illy tin thing)?

AB-UK Dec 18th, 2018 11:06

I was told that Volvo On Call is supposed to be able to detect movement (geographic) of the car when the ignition is off, thus if it is nicked and put onto a trailer, they would note the movement, and contact me.

Years ago I informed them I would be going to Europe, and they would therefore see the car travelling whilst switched off - whilst on the ferry.
They just thanked me for letting them know, and they would make a note of it.

I believed - perhaps naively in retrospect - that I had a permanent tracker in my car.

Clan Dec 18th, 2018 11:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by AB-UK (Post 2477003)
I was told that Volvo On Call is supposed to be able to detect movement (geographic) of the car when the ignition is off, thus if it is nicked and put onto a trailer, they would note the movement, and contact me.

Years ago I informed them I would be going to Europe, and they would therefore see the car travelling whilst switched off - whilst on the ferry.
They just thanked me for letting them know, and they would make a note of it.

I believed - perhaps naively in retrospect - that I had a permanent tracker in my car.

Just to make things more clear The oncall tracking is only activated when the alarm goes off , As far as the car is concerned The car is just being driven normally and has not been stolen because it has received the correct signal from the key .
I believe that once they turn the engine off on the car stolen this way they cannot start it again ..
I daresay volvo and other manufacturers are working hard on software to correct this deficiency .. Or at least warn existing owners to keep their keys well away from the front of the house ….