Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=201)
-   -   Software Update 2.2 includes Apple CarPlay (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=326119)

Fibrous Jun 21st, 2022 08:24

Software Update 2.2 includes Apple CarPlay

https://www.volvocars.com/uk/support...s/xc60/2021w46

ElCap Jun 21st, 2022 19:03

Thanks for the heads up. Better late than never with this but looking forward to the update!

MG14 Jun 22nd, 2022 15:39

Amazing, something that MY22 folks seem to be absolutely up in arms about, especially on the other media pages, such as Facebook, and only one reply to this positive news in over 24hrs..
I’m looking forward to this but I need to get the car beyond v2.0 first!

Ian.7878 Jun 22nd, 2022 17:16

GREAT! ! ! ! BUT the $1M question is does it FIX the USB Audio issue?
i dont have an apple phone! so having carplay missing was not a deal breaker anyway!
Now its just a waiting game to see when the car get the update!

My22xc60 Jun 22nd, 2022 19:22

Couldn't see any reference to whether it's wireless or wired, though!

ElCap Jun 22nd, 2022 19:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by My22xc60 (Post 2830595)
Couldn't see any reference to whether it's wireless or wired, though!

Well if the USB issue isn’t fixed then it will need to be wireless! :tounge_smile:

Fibrous Jun 22nd, 2022 20:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian.7878 (Post 2830564)
GREAT! ! ! ! BUT the $1M question is does it FIX the USB Audio issue?
i dont have an apple phone! so having carplay missing was not a deal breaker anyway!
Now its just a waiting game to see when the car get the update!

I am happy to get CarPlay, USB audio would be the icing!

I was told, categorically, from Volvo that there were no plans to allow USB data read, that was 6 weeks ago and things seem to change, I am assuming its wired therefore data enabled unless its somehow App sensitive. What is possibly encouraging is the Polestar announcement for their V2.2 given it includes as part of the features 'Front USB ports opened for external device input (eg gaming, music, Apple CarPlay)
Who knows if that is part of the Volvo V2.2.
Fingers and toes crossed!!

Ian.7878 Jun 22nd, 2022 21:41

@Fibrous, Thats reading like front USB will be open again to allow data!
I heard that Carplay is "wired" so they will HAVE to open data in that case! dont know how it could be done any other way! Given how Polstar are saying Front USB are open, and underneath both cars are using the same electronics it would make sense! now its just a waiting game for the update to drop! i did read some where ETA 3rd July OTA will start and 1 week before ( Next week in that case ) dealerships ( VIDA access )

so i guess its watch this space!

Frankiee Jun 22nd, 2022 22:55

I wonder whether the maps will appear in the driver display now too with this version of CarPlay. In the previous Sensus models all you got was a split screen on the centre screen and nothing in the driver display

Rayman71 Jun 23rd, 2022 08:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankiee (Post 2830633)
I wonder whether the maps will appear in the driver display now too with this version of CarPlay. In the previous Sensus models all you got was a split screen on the centre screen and nothing in the driver display

Look at this: https://www.swedespeed.com/threads/a...hicles.655641/

No guidance is shown in the driver display :confused_smile:

giftgrub100 Jun 23rd, 2022 08:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankiee (Post 2830633)

The car has google maps built in, just wondering why would you want to use another map rather the cars own maps ?

Stu22 Jun 23rd, 2022 10:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by giftgrub100 (Post 2830654)
The car has google maps built in, just wondering why would you want to use another map rather the cars own maps ?

I'm a firm Android / Google maps user but speaking to my wife who is firmly in the Apple camp, its more about how AAOS handles things like messaging as opposed to CarPlay

giftgrub100 Jun 23rd, 2022 11:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stu22 (Post 2830667)
I'm a firm Android / Google maps user but speaking to my wife who is firmly in the Apple camp, its more about how AAOS handles things like messaging as opposed to CarPlay

Cool, was just wondering, I hope the google maps still work when using carplay, will be best of both

Rayman71 Jun 23rd, 2022 12:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by giftgrub100 (Post 2830683)
Cool, was just wondering, I hope the google maps still work when using carplay, will be best of both

The confidential Volvo document says "When navigation is started through Apple CarPlay, ongoing native turn-by-turn route guidance will be ended.". I think it will not be possible to use both.

Stu22 Jun 23rd, 2022 12:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rayman71 (Post 2830691)
The confidential Volvo document says "When navigation is started through Apple CarPlay, ongoing native turn-by-turn route guidance will be ended.". I think it will not be possible to use both.

Surely you can run Google maps through CarPlay though, just not the cars own Google Maps?

Rayman71 Jun 23rd, 2022 12:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stu22 (Post 2830695)
Surely you can run Google maps through CarPlay though, just not the cars own Google Maps?

I wrote what the confidential Volvo doc says and how I understand it. If you use Google maps through Apple CarPlay then it will probably work, but using both together seems wierd. I would prefere on board nav instead of CarPlay. Anyway, next weeks will confirm what will be possible.

giftgrub100 Jun 23rd, 2022 13:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rayman71 (Post 2830691)

I was hoping if using carplay for sounds/podcast or music that you could still use cars built in google maps for Nav, rather than using carplay for Nav as well, would be the ideal blend for me.

Fibrous Jun 23rd, 2022 18:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian.7878 (Post 2830620)
@Fibrous, Thats reading like front USB will be open again to allow data!
I heard that Carplay is "wired" so they will HAVE to open data in that case! dont know how it could be done any other way! Given how Polstar are saying Front USB are open, and underneath both cars are using the same electronics it would make sense! now its just a waiting game for the update to drop! i did read some where ETA 3rd July OTA will start and 1 week before ( Next week in that case ) dealerships ( VIDA access )

so i guess its watch this space!

USB audio file playback confirmed as working with 2.2 in Polestars !!

WhatNext? Jun 23rd, 2022 18:21

Why would you use the vastly inferior Apple Maps v Google Maps that's built-in

ElCap Jun 23rd, 2022 18:54

Not sure why they couldn’t give us wireless CarPlay. I’ve had that for over 2 years in my Audi so it’s hardly new technology. And wireless is much more convenient.

streetg Jun 24th, 2022 10:40

I don't understand why they have opted for wired CarPlay.

What is the point of having a wireless charging mat when you have to plug your phone in when using CarPlay, seems I will have a wasted charging point and more cables draped around the car moving forwards :( not the greatest IMHO!!!

cpb Jun 24th, 2022 12:02

The engineer in me wonders if its the wireless bit that has been causing all the problems and leading to the delay. Its interesting that in the linked to Polestar document it talked about "wired connection for ..... a stable connection".

Maybe they thought getting wired out there on their 2Q deadline was better than not at all with wireless still to come as an update .... he says with ever waning optimism!

GezzaT Jun 25th, 2022 18:24

The comms stack in AAOS10/11 is the problem.

Zwerg Jun 26th, 2022 10:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by GezzaT (Post 2831007)
The comms stack in AAOS10/11 is the problem.

Is this fixable in future updates ? Or are we stuck with wired for good ?

GezzaT Jun 26th, 2022 12:37

It can be worked around in AAOS11 but there’s an argument for just waiting until AAOS12 anyway for wireless CarPlay to avoid the coding hassle. Once we have wired, depending on how much effort Volvo/Polestar has sunk into wireless CarPlay in AAOS11, if complaints die down then they’ll possibly just wait until AAOS12. There’s an element of sunk cost fallacy here I’ll wager, so it would probably be better for Volvo to just stick with wired in AAOS11 *unless* they’re literally a few hours of coding and testing away from release or there is still a huge PR problem for not delivering it.

The current generation of Bluetooth/WiFi combination for CarPlay is, in my opinion, not quite up to it anyway and wired is much preferred. I get that people want to cut the wire completely (hence the reason why Volvo has a wireless charger in MY22+XC60) but I’m happy to accept that I’ll be using wired CarPlay until a later generation of tech comes out. An example here is Bluetooth having to be disabled for other devices to prioritise the CarPlay link.

There will follow the inevitable “but it’s been available wireless in my XXX for years” comments but I’m yet to meet anyone who has had a flawless wireless CarPlay experience in any vehicle, and simply working doesn’t indicate stability and performance. Combine that with proposed tighter integration with the vehicle in the recently announced CarPlay updates and you’re going to need extremely reliable wireless connections to make it a decent experience…

RandolphC Jun 26th, 2022 14:19

I know little about CarPlay. At present I use my iPhone on the mat which usuallly gives me access to my music stored on the iPhone. The car's Goggle system gives me my routes and maps but does have its drawbacks. The car's Spotify system also gives me access to that account. All this has to be operated by hand as the car's voice activation will not alter any music settings.

What will CarPlay give me either wired or not that I don't get at present?

ebionigiri Jun 26th, 2022 16:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by GezzaT (Post 2831106)

The current generation of Bluetooth/WiFi combination for CarPlay is, in my opinion, not quite up to it anyway and wired is much preferred. I get that people want to cut the wire completely (hence the reason why Volvo has a wireless charger in MY22+XC60) but I’m happy to accept that I’ll be using wired CarPlay until a later generation of tech comes out. An example here is Bluetooth having to be disabled for other devices to prioritise the CarPlay link.

Wireless carplay worked perfectly in my BMW X3M and my 4 series before that and I got the 4 series 5 years ago. Seems a bit rubbish that a premium brand like Volvo can’t figure it out in 2022.

WhatNext? Jun 27th, 2022 17:14

That's why you don't buy a car on a promised update.

If it was that important you should have looked elsewhere

ebionigiri Jun 27th, 2022 17:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhatNext? (Post 2831252)
That's why you don't buy a car on a promised update.

If it was that important you should have looked elsewhere

It’s not a deal breaker. I’m just glad carplay in some form has come before we get that car so that we can continue using Apple Music. Was afraid I’d have to move us back to Spotify.

Tony Gathercole Jun 28th, 2022 14:32

What's happened to update 2.2 ???

Availabiliy appears to have been removed today (28/06/2022) from the Volvo Software Update page (eg https://www.volvocars.com/uk/support...hybrid/2021w46).

Ian.7878 Jun 28th, 2022 21:20

This is totally NUTS I have just check for my MY22 XC60 and the 2.2 update has gone XC60 2.2 update VANISHED
EDIT
Just seen this over on the Polestar fourm's
2.2 update suspended!

Fibrous Jun 29th, 2022 12:51

Seems Volvo have removed the 2.2 update to correct some bug issues but have informed me they hope to roll out 2.2 very shortly. I notice on the Polestar forum there were some reporting bugs such as the range being in KM even when Miles was selected.

UPDATE -
One Polestar member has reported that V2.2.1 is now out.

Ian.7878 Jun 29th, 2022 17:37

I guess it a waiting game to see what happens! Will it be 2.2 or as you say 2.2.1?
WATCH THIS SPACE!!!!!

Ian.7878 Jul 1st, 2022 21:44

Spoke to VUK "Customer Service" today and asked them if they knew when it might be rolled out! i was told sorry no idea, and was told that 2.2 was still being rolled out!
WTAF is more like "Customer DISERVICE" total joke! all they can do is say sorry and thats it!

LRS Jul 1st, 2022 22:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian.7878 (Post 2831888)
Spoke to VUK "Customer Service" today and asked them if they knew when it might be rolled out! i was told sorry no idea, and was told that 2.2 was still being rolled out!
WTAF is more like "Customer DISERVICE" total joke! all they can do is say sorry and thats it!

Tell me about it. They’re polite folks to speak with, but they are as much use as a chocolate fire-guard or as much use as a Volvo AAOS development team!

Fibrous Jul 2nd, 2022 13:04

A little more information from the Polestar site offers some insight...https://www.polestar.com/uk/polestar...he-air-updates

I do wish Volvo UK would be a bit more forthcoming with information on software updates, at least like this.

Ian.7878 Jul 2nd, 2022 22:28

Whoops, That sounds like a HUGE bug? how on earth did that get though QC? OH Wait they dont have QC!!!! They use US!!! to find these bugs and then report back to them! and how do they treat us! rant over!

Great find there @Fibrous. let hope they get this sorted soon! we have only been waiting for USB data transfer to be reenabled since March22..........

techwatcher Jul 3rd, 2022 10:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian.7878 (Post 2832112)
Whoops, That sounds like a HUGE bug? how on earth did that get though QC? OH Wait they dont have QC!!!! They use US!!! to find these bugs and then report back to them! and how do they treat us! rant over!

It's certainly a bug but I wouldn't call it huge. Agree that it should have been caught during regression testing but it slipped through the net, perhaps because development and testing is undertaken in a country that routinely uses kilometres rather than miles.

My22xc60 Jul 5th, 2022 18:43

Some pictures of it in action from a Reddit post:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Volvo/comme...recharge_2022/

Fibrous Jul 6th, 2022 09:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by My22xc60 (Post 2832592)
Some pictures of it in action from a Reddit post:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Volvo/comme...recharge_2022/

Good to see the large screen area and it looks sharp. It seems though Volvo are making more use of the screen area compared to Polestar - https://www.polestar-forum.com/threa...eenshots.7566/