Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   V70: Engine Warning - Castrol Edge is not ACEA A5/B5 (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=128985)

Jay Jul 9th, 2011 17:06

Warning - Castrol Edge is not ACEA A5/B5

When i bought my car last year D5 (205) engine code D5244T10 the recommeded approved oil was 0W-30 ACEA A5/B5 so my one litre top is Castrol SLX Longtec 0W-30 ACEA A5/B5.

This oil is no longer available and i cannot find any exact specification.

The only oil that is ACEA A5/B5 oil grade the viscosity is 5W-30 i.e. Mobil super 3000 5w-30 ACEA A5/B5 or Castrol Magnetec 5w-30 ACEA A5/B5 A1 however the manul recommends 0w-30.

does anyone know which quality brand is ACEA A5/B5 and 0w-30 ?

my local dealership has switched to Mobile 1 - unsure what grade or ACEA but will check on Monday prior to my service later that week.

Laney760 Jul 9th, 2011 23:18

Opie Oils - Search by brand, type, specification or grade:

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-681-car-oils.aspx

Brings up the following as ACEA A5/B5:

Motul 8100 Eco-nergy 0W-30 Fuel Economy Gasoline and Diesel lubricant 100% Synthetic

Shell Helix Ultra AS 0W-30

Jay Jul 10th, 2011 14:24

Laneystrider thanks.

In a nutshell Castrol no longer produce an oil that meets volvo specification which will explain why my local dealer has switched to Mobil.

Mobil 1 Fuel Economy is 0w-30 and is ACEA A5/B5.

I don't know why volvo hq still say castrol is recommended when they have no oil to meet their specification.

I either switch from castrol to Mobil or supply my own oil from Shell.

volvo s60 2001 Jul 10th, 2011 15:14

There it is:
http://www.volvopartshop.com/castrol...itre-775-p.asp

:thumbs_up:

Jay Jul 10th, 2011 17:37

I've seen it - it is old stock in 1l bottles. it is no longer available on castrol web site and no like for like replacement.

what is happening with volvo & castrol relationship ?

Clan Jul 10th, 2011 18:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay (Post 943954)
I've seen it - it is old stock in 1l bottles. it is no longer available on castrol web site and no like for like replacement.

what is happening with volvo & castrol relationship ?

nothing , they changed from SLX to EDGE last month and barrels are still going out .. perhaps the website isnt updated yet?
The previous Castrol SLX 0w/30 A5/B5 "Longtec professional for volvo cars " wasnt generaly advertised either . Perhaps a e-mail to castrol may provide the answer ?

Jay Jul 10th, 2011 22:11

Thanks Clan

Castrol Edge 0w - 30 is not ACEA A5/B5. i have checked the web site and also the product itself.

Clan Jul 10th, 2011 22:34

perhaps they only supply to volvo now , it has to be A5/B5 for the 18000 service interval ... Time will reveal all i guess.

Jay Jul 11th, 2011 09:50

Some small local dealerships have switched brand from Castrol and are using the correct oil i.e. 0w30 & A5/B5

Mobil 1 Fuel Economy 0w30 ACEA A5/B5 or the Evolution oil meeting the exact ACEA rating.

Fellow members please check when you service car that your dealership is meeting the ACEA rating ‘cos one dealership was selling one litre bottles of Castrol Edge 0w30 with A3/B4 ACEA on the bottle and when i questioned that it was wrong he said it is the same as in the workshop only a packaging change another dealer was selling the old SLX and will switch to Edge he also said it was a packaging change.

According to Castrol web site Edge 0w30 is not A5/B5. Either Volvo are producing a specific oil with rating A5/B5 at a cost hence the reason why dealerships are switching brand btu does not explain why some dealers are stoking the wrong ACEA rating. I also spoke to a big Volvo part supplier who was unsure what Castrol will supply to them waiting to sell the old stock of SLX.

I am happy to switch to Mobile ‘cos it meets both requirements 0w30 and A5/B5 as per the mobil web site.

Jay Jul 11th, 2011 10:53

spoke to Castrol customer service

they do supply a range for workshop and dealers only and it is packaged as Edge PROFESSIONAL he said it was a business decision not to supply to the general retail and assured me it was a different product to retail meeting volvo specification

the rating is 0w30 & A5 (includes A1/B1/A5/B5) however please check when you buy the one litre top-up or service oil change that they are using the PROFESSIONAL range. some dealers were offering the retail product and said only a packaging change.

tommyweaves Jul 11th, 2011 17:24

Had my 18K service today on my 2011 D3

The service receipt says they used Castrol Longtech Professional complying with A5/B5 along with a bit of blurb abouit it being specially developed with Volvo blah blah blah. Doesn't mean they actually used it though!

Clan Jul 11th, 2011 17:46

of course they did , they wouldnt risk court action over something so relativly minor . As i said above SLX is still being delivered in 205 litre drums...
until stocks are gone i guess.

S60-MBS Jul 11th, 2011 19:15

try here for longtec
http://mapodo.de/castrol-slx-prof-lo...m_store=german

Jay Jul 11th, 2011 22:03

Longtec is the old SLX range 0w-30 and A4/A5 which is for longer servive interval.

I find it hard to believe that castrol have produced an oil only for volvo workshop and it is not available to the retail even as a top-up which was confirmed by a dealer - they offer a free top-up if you have your car serviced. apparently you can mix up to 20% of the A3 to the A5 but the technician said this is all new to us so can't say anymore.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommyweaves (Post 944559)
Had my 18K service today on my 2011 D3

The service receipt says they used Castrol Longtech Professional complying with A5/B5 along with a bit of blurb abouit it being specially developed with Volvo blah blah blah. Doesn't mean they actually used it though!

oilman Sep 26th, 2011 09:44

Castrol Edge 0w-30 is now A5/B5

Hi folks,

Castrol have relaunched the Castrol Edge range with some new formulations. The good news is that the Edge 0w-30 is now available as an ACEA A5/B5 especially for Volvo owners!

We're just waiting for some of it to come in from Castrol and should have it within the next 10 days. Pricing to be confirmed, but shouldn't be much (if any) different from the existing Edge range.

oilman

oilman Sep 26th, 2011 09:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay (Post 944777)
Longtec is the old SLX range 0w-30 and A4/A5 which is for longer servive interval.

I find it hard to believe that castrol have produced an oil only for volvo workshop and it is not available to the retail even as a top-up which was confirmed by a dealer

Yes, that's exactly what Castrol have done! They've done it with BMW motorbikes for a 10w-50 oil and with Ford Focus RS II owners too, for a 0w-40. After a period of time, as vehicles start to come out of warranty, they release a suitable product for the retail market.

Rufe Sep 26th, 2011 14:06

We have seen it here, this new Castrol Edge Professional does state 'For Volvo Cars' on the front of the containers.

Here at FRF Volvo, for over the counter/mail order sales, we always supply the Volvo packaged oil. These always meet Volvo recommendations of course (as they are classed as a genuine Volvo item), and clearly show the specific ratings on them Just for the record, we supply it in 1L and 4L containers, and they look like this:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...v6/1161711.jpg

Simon :)

micky1uk May 25th, 2014 15:18

oil search

Hi I too have been searching for the correct spec oil & I found that Valvoline synpower full synthetic FE 0w-30 as acea A5/B5 & volvo recomendations on there spec chart check there specs here @ there addy https://www.valvolineoilshop.com/Car...-0W-30-1L.html regards mick

oilman May 27th, 2014 09:01

Hi

There is the Edge 0w-30 A5/B5 now, http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-69391-ca...ngine-oil.aspx, as well as other 0w-30 A5/B5 oils

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-803-acea-a5b5.aspx#Filter=[EntityIDs=@%2850%29@*ava=0]&

Cheers

Tim

SonyVaio May 27th, 2014 18:10

Nothing like a 3 year thread revival.

This thread is just 'Old News' now and was just at the interim period of Castrol switching from SLX to Edge.

:star-wars-smiley-01

CJL May 27th, 2014 18:58

But they still sell Edge and Edge Professional. Both are 0W-30 A5/B5 and may or may not be the same thing.

SonyVaio May 27th, 2014 22:56

Exact same, just the Professional one has a UV die in it and meant to be for business use (Garages, Dealers, Motortrade etc..).

clivea May 28th, 2014 07:27

What's the UV dye for? If a car is serviced by date or mileage a garage won't see it unless it has a problem. I guess the garage could do a quality check on the oil in case its diluted or sludged due to failed regenerations or too much town driving/ short journeys.

CJL May 28th, 2014 15:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by SonyVaio (Post 1656734)
Exact same, just the Professional one has a UV die in it and meant to be for business use (Garages, Dealers, Motortrade etc..).

Ahhhh, but they are different according to Castrol themselves....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay (Post 944346)
spoke to Castrol customer service

they do supply a range for workshop and dealers only and it is packaged as Edge PROFESSIONAL he said it was a business decision not to supply to the general retail and assured me it was a different product to retail meeting volvo specification

the rating is 0w30 & A5 (includes A1/B1/A5/B5) however please check when you buy the one litre top-up or service oil change that they are using the PROFESSIONAL range. some dealers were offering the retail product and said only a packaging change.

Seriously though, I'm sure they are the same and it's just a way of charging more for it. Call it Edge at £10/L and everybody will buy it at Halfords. Call it Edge Professional and you can get £16 for it.

eosfan May 29th, 2014 19:19

This is what I use - it's 0-30, A5/B5, says its for Volvos

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

CJL May 29th, 2014 20:21

That's the regular Edge that is probably exactly the same as the Edge Professional minus the UV dye. Opie Oils sell that and regularly have sales.

Last A5/B5 oil I bought happened to be the Professional from moto-oils

http://moto-oil.co.uk/castrol-edge-p...ional-a5-0w-30

GrantA May 30th, 2014 21:44

Just to put my 2 pence worth into the debate, I had my car serviced at the local Volvo Indie a couple of weeks ago and he uses Valvoline Durablend FE 5W-30. He said he uses it all the time and it complies with the Volvo specs. I've looked at the Valvoline website and sure enough it is ACAE A5/B5 but only semi-synthetic so now that he has started to use it guess I'll continue when I do my own servicing.

SonyVaio May 30th, 2014 22:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrantA (Post 1659249)
Just to put my 2 pence worth into the debate, I had my car serviced at the local Volvo Indie a couple of weeks ago and he uses Valvoline Durablend FE 5W-30. He said he uses it all the time and it complies with the Volvo specs. I've looked at the Valvoline website and sure enough it is ACAE A5/B5 but only semi-synthetic so now that he has started to use it guess I'll continue when I do my own servicing.

Your car was designed to use fully synthetic and I would take the car back and have them replace the oil at their expense! I'd be getting rid of that semi synth asap.

clivea May 31st, 2014 08:49

Quote:

Grant,
surely using 5-30 will affect cold start economy and warm up as the oil is slightly more viscous and where you live the cold starts may be a bit more taxing than for us in the south! I am not sure that the semi-synth/synth difference is that significant for most running, but would expect the synthetic to last better if you go the full distance between oil changes.

Clan May 31st, 2014 09:03

Quote:

Wrong Oil ! Should be 0w/30 for the 18000 service interval from 2006 model year .. 5w/30 is ok for the older D5 up to 2005 ..

GrantA May 31st, 2014 09:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 1659442)
Wrong Oil ! Should be 0w/30 for the 18000 service interval from 2006 model year .. 5w/30 is ok for the older D5 up to 2005 ..

Thanks for the advice SonyVaio, Clive and Clan, it is because of this Thread that I asked the question yesterday about what oil the Indie was using. The "invoice" actually states the oil is fully synthetic which is another reason to question the oil he uses. I don't believe the Indie is deliberately trying to deceive me (and others) he has been in business for a number of years and, from what he says, has been using Volvoline Durablend as the specification of oil recommended by Volvo - I believe he just missed the change post 2005.

The reason I am sort of defending him is he was recommended to me by a family friend who worked with him at the local Main Volvo Dealer for a good number of years before he branched out on his own as an Indie. I know he has a vast knowledge of the Volvo Marque but perhaps in isolation from Volvo he hasn't kept up with the changes in oil quality and specs that the latest cars need to keep running at peak efficiency. Because of my friendships I am reluctant to go banging on his desk and demand my money back but in future I will do the servicing myself starting with changing the oil to the correct specification. I will however inform him that he needs to update himself on the latest changes (and older ones he may have missed) on Volvos specs for oils etc.

Rossi-fan May 31st, 2014 10:08

Carlube R 0W/30 is A5/B5, and could be a cheaper alternative for those who think Castrol is overly expensive.

younger06 May 31st, 2014 13:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rossi-fan (Post 1659469)
Carlube R 0W/30 is A5/B5, and could be a cheaper alternative for those who think Castrol is overly expensive.

What type of money is 5ltrs of the Carlube R ??

clivea May 31st, 2014 14:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrantA (Post 1659457)
Thanks for the advice SonyVaio, Clive and Clan, it is because of this Thread that I asked the question yesterday about what oil the Indie was using. The "invoice" actually states the oil is fully synthetic which is another reason to question the oil he uses. I don't believe the Indie is deliberately trying to deceive me (and others) he has been in business for a number of years and, from what he says, has been using Volvoline Durablend as the specification of oil recommended by Volvo - I believe he just missed the change post 2005.

The reason I am sort of defending him is he was recommended to me by a family friend who worked with him at the local Main Volvo Dealer for a good number of years before he branched out on his own as an Indie. I know he has a vast knowledge of the Volvo Marque but perhaps in isolation from Volvo he hasn't kept up with the changes in oil quality and specs that the latest cars need to keep running at peak efficiency. Because of my friendships I am reluctant to go banging on his desk and demand my money back but in future I will do the servicing myself starting with changing the oil to the correct specification. I will however inform him that he needs to update himself on the latest changes (and older ones he may have missed) on Volvos specs for oils etc.

I understand your position. The various garages that we have used including a Volvo dealership are very good and accept me bringing my own oils. The cynics might say that they keep them and just put anything in but I've never found either of them wanting and most well established businesses are keen to do right by their customers. The local that does the Pajero and Note could not believe the low price that I buy my oils for. I either get them on line or from the local farmers outlet. And these are all quality lubs such as Total, Shell, ***hs etc. I notice I have been censored by using a well known German brand named after the Antarctic explore, but its Titan oils.

RoyMacDonald Sep 27th, 2014 20:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJL (Post 1656475)
But they still sell Edge and Edge Professional. Both are 0W-30 A5/B5 and may or may not be the same thing.

I checked a few years ago and according to Castrol's technical sheets they had slightly different additive packages then.

The latest tech sheets don't give like for like comparisons though so they are being more cagey possibly about the additive package.

The 2014 V40 Volvo handbooks just says use an A5/B5 oil 0W-30

An under bonnet sticker says they recommend Castrol oil.

Just to add a warning, I believe the new 4 cylinder diesel uses 0W-20.

ascott1 Dec 8th, 2015 18:02

Referenced in VOC "Volvo Driver" mag, December 15

Bob Isaac's "Chairman's Chat" column, p6 of the "Volvo Driver" VOC magazine for December 15, mentions that Volvo dealers are now using only two types of oil, one for petrol engines, one for diesel, and that the petrol engines get Castrol Edge FST, with the Chairman's car getting 0w-30 A5/B5 though other grades may be used for other vehicles. This isn't a technical review, but it prompted me to investigate Edge FST before my next service. FWIW.

flatstick Jul 3rd, 2016 15:40

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Comma-Volt...4AAOSwj0NUcHzZ

Clan Jul 3rd, 2016 16:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by ascott1 (Post 2023631)
Bob Isaac's "Chairman's Chat" column, p6 of the "Volvo Driver" VOC magazine for December 15, mentions that Volvo dealers are now using only two types of oil, one for petrol engines, one for diesel, and that the petrol engines get Castrol Edge FST, with the Chairman's car getting 0w-30 A5/B5 though other grades may be used for other vehicles. This isn't a technical review, but it prompted me to investigate Edge FST before my next service. FWIW.

There are no oils for just petrol or just diesels in a volvo dealership .
volvo need 3 oils now to cover the range from 2005

5w/30
0w30
0W/20

The latter 0w/20 must be to volvo's own specification VCC RBSO-2AE

Micajah May 10th, 2017 18:18

Oil_Labelling_Explained PETROL

http://wiki.seloc.org/a/Oil_Labelling_Explained#PETROL

This is the best info I could find on the ACEA specs.

oilman May 11th, 2017 08:43

If you want ACEA spec info, here you go.

http://www.oilspecifications.org/acea.php

The one on SELOC is pretty old now

Cheers

Tim