Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   General Volvo and Motoring Discussions (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   #### Around the world in a T5#### (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=47731)

Stefanfed Nov 16th, 2007 22:58

#### Around the world in a T5####

Hi i know this sounds crazy so please no messages telling me im an idiot or that i can never do it.
I am going to travel the world in my 850 T5 and was wondering if there is anyone who knows how to make this trip cheaper by sponsorship (what companies) or any other ideas all ideas welcome many thanks.

steve39 Nov 16th, 2007 23:01

you could try mybrain as fried.com

Stefanfed Nov 16th, 2007 23:04

HaHa we have our first comedian welcome

scottishvolvo Nov 16th, 2007 23:27

Your an idiot and you can never do it.
But where would we be if people didn't rise to challenges.
Good luck, hope you do it. This might appeal to a certain Mr Branson, fuel company or even Volvo.
Chris

Stefanfed Nov 16th, 2007 23:32

Thanks for the reply i was thinking of trying volvo as i work for them anyway. petrol company would come in handy lol.

NUR71V Nov 17th, 2007 03:31

Of couse it can be done... Hasn't anyone seen Long Way Round!
PS Let me be your Co-Driver - (I'm Serious)

Stefanfed Nov 17th, 2007 10:10

Your welcome to come if you want i have pm'd you

charlesboya Nov 17th, 2007 10:43

Great idea, good luck and I wish I could do it !

Stefanfed Nov 17th, 2007 13:08

Thanks for the support

James_N Nov 17th, 2007 13:56

Travelling around europe is easy. not so sure about the rest of it, like australia and stuff, but fair play to you if you do it!

Bear in mind not all roads will be as good as european ones. Look at Jack Osbournes mongol rally that was on recently. Eastern block roads are completely non existant.

When are you planning to set off? for how long? have you worked out a route to drive and costs?

good luck to you :) Interesting to hear more details!

Viking V40 Nov 17th, 2007 19:28

Hey - sounds great to me - very best of luck!

What about contacting some of the spare parts suppliers, the likes of Nordic and so on? Any local dealerships you are friendly with?

I think it would be a fantastic adventure. I've driven a little bit in Europe including the Czech Republic (through Prague really late at night - lost :)), Slovenia and Croatia. I'd love to drive around the World!!

A Round The World trip will be awesome!

shimon340 Nov 18th, 2007 14:10

I think this sounds cool and I'd definately recommend some Volvo sponsorship.

I'd ask car parts companies, oil companies basically anyone and I'd try to contact some magazines to get some coverage of he event. companies would like to see how they will get clear advertising

I'd take a boot load of spare parts and if you arent a mechanic yourself, get one to come with you. Get the car fully serviced and comprehensively checked before you go so there are "it wore out" problems eg bushings etc

Given the poorer roads you might encounter, I'd consider raising the car up on its suspension.

If the car behaves I dont see why you wont make it. What kind of mileage total would it be?

Volvo sponsored an American chap to drive a new XC70 round the world a few years ago.

I'll try to see if I can find a link or press article about that.

I'm watching this post with interest

For volvo to get involved, they would prob want a good condition 850 rather than a tired one.

S

Stefanfed Nov 19th, 2007 21:36

Yeah if you could find me that article it would be a great help thanks

JIM C Nov 21st, 2007 08:19

A once in a lifetime opportunity. Sounds like a great experience. Please keep us all posted.

Georgey dee Nov 21st, 2007 16:57

Let us know when you set off and we can all follow you to the ferry!!!:Banane32:call it a forum see off and good luck