Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   anti skid service required message (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=303175)

stegreg Feb 3rd, 2020 16:17

anti skid service required message

"anti skid service required" message on dash, with"amber" triangle lit......has flashed on/off a couple of time in the last 3 months, but after a drive, next time I start the car, all is normal. BUT ive had same error message for 3 trips and not clearing. ive checked diag with normal obd2 reader but no codes stored it seems. is there a common sensor fault I can look towards, or would "vida" be more accurate in identifying the issue. ?

V70, D5 geartronic awd. 2002my. 166k, drives ok, no loss of power, brakes ok and brake boost assist still appears to operate too.

JoeNinety Feb 3rd, 2020 18:05

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=303062

stegreg Feb 3rd, 2020 20:47

Thanks for the link, but my "abs" light is not on, only the amber triangle, I have read this thread previously, but being as it was about the "brake assist" I didn't think it was related system.

VivaLaVolvo Feb 5th, 2020 11:05

When I had this issue it was the Yaw Rate Sensor.

Located under the driver's seat. Ideally need to remove the seat (four bolts - seat doesn't need to come out completely, just lifted enough for access).

I got a used part from a breaker (evolve parts in Preston) and it fixed the issue.

stegreg Feb 5th, 2020 16:40

thanks for reply, it sound feasible to be something as silly as, so to speak. I will have to lift the seat and get the part number off the original one, as Volvo dealers reluctant to divulge part numbers over the phone. but what they did say was that if fitting a replacement unit, it requires a download to, to get it to work.....£36 + 1/2hr labour to do download, er plus £248 for a yaw sensor [new price].

CharlesStevenson Feb 5th, 2020 17:38

stegreg " ... er plus £248 for a yaw sensor [new price] ...".

Ouch!

stegreg Feb 5th, 2020 18:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by CharlesStevenson (Post 2597050)
stegreg " ... er plus £248 for a yaw sensor [new price] ...".

Ouch!

yep, sure is !
but I always like to check out the gen new prices, before sourcing alternatively, well you never know, could be as cheap to buy new [well everyone can have a dream]. :)

The Landshark Feb 5th, 2020 21:20

No point in loading the 16" Naval Gun with parts yet.
Mine had the same message when I bought it.
The hydraulic pump on the haldex has failed. It also had a faulty pressure sensor.
Without vida you are wasting your time and money unless you hit the fault by pure luck first go.

stegreg Feb 5th, 2020 21:38

very true Landshark, I do appreciate your comment, there is loads to check and yes, im in the process of acquiring a vida system, so I can do some investigation, but do take all comments and suggestions on board, .....but do like to price up the suggestions at the same time. ive a feeling it could be as simple as a pressure sensor, where is that located as would like to try the connector plug on it as a first check, could need cleaning. :)

The Landshark Feb 6th, 2020 00:05

The pressure sensor is on the haldex unit on the differential, as is the pump.
There is a lot to check, but it's worth checking to see if the pump is running. The brushes wore away on mine at about 250,000kms.

Nick45 Feb 6th, 2020 20:48

I've got the same message.
DeanH of this parish very kindly came out and read my codes for me. I'll update my thread on this with pics of the codes on Vida shortly but it has thrown up both yaw sensor and 'communication with the differential electronic module missing' as suspects.

stegreg Feb 6th, 2020 21:09

Thanks Nick45, ive just ordered a vida system, so I can interrogate mine too. I do really appreciate all the replies as to what others have found at issue with theirs, as it opens up the field as to exactly all the components that get "involved" in getting the "DSTC" to function. heres silly innocent me thinking it only picked up signals off the wheel sensors, ha ha. :)......but yes, still reading different things on the subject.

stegreg Feb 7th, 2020 11:46

UPDATE : Ive just been out in the car, not travelled more than 4 miles, but driven over a couple of Wolverhamptons most finest of road surfaces [big joke], and the dam warning message and light has CLEARED ! got back home, switched off, left a few minutes and started again, no message.

Yes, ive placed an order for a vida system, so will endvour to do a diagnostic to see if any fault codes stored, but its now making me think that its possibly a dry/corroded connection, possibly on the dem module, being as that's so low down and in the firing line for grot.
So will order a can of electrical cleaner and then get underneath and check the connections, plus whilst im at it, do an oil/filter change on the unit.

yes, will keep you all updated as to what I find, just so weird the fault cleared, but kept the warning message for over 5 days? nowt as funny as electrics I tell you, LOL. :)

The Landshark Feb 7th, 2020 13:40

Prime suspect would be worn brushes in the pump. Bumps can knock them into contact with the commutator again. It's easy to feed 12v to the pump if it fails again to see will it run.

stegreg Feb 8th, 2020 11:31

Well, its certainly messing up.
Friday night, went out in the car and the warning message came up the moment I powered up the ignition....stayed on for the whole journey of approx. 5 miles.:confused_smile:
Saturday morning, powered up the car, no message on ignition, started the car....no message. :regular_smile:

did 3 miles, switched off, did shopping, came back to car....powered up....warning back on.:confused_smile:

drove 3 miles, switched off, did a bit more shopping, came back out, powered up....message off.:teeth_smile:

No, still waiting for vida to arrive, just hope this now intermittent fault will leave a trace log....fingers crossed.

stegreg Feb 16th, 2020 15:26

update 15/2/20.

ive now got a Vida system, have cleared the diagnostics memory, driven for a couple of days and read the diag for a second time.

I now have a fault code for this error I believe: BCM-0015.
communication fault with the rear diff dem module if im not mistaken?

is it safe to presume its just a general dem module failure due to age/wear, or could I be really jammy and it just needs the electrical connectors cleaning ?

Nick45 Feb 16th, 2020 21:39

Hope it's the latter for you pal. Post up a couple of pics of the process if you DIY please.
Fingers crossed.

stegreg May 7th, 2020 19:43

Ok so had to start somewhere, so ive replaced the "steering angle sensor", being as this is a circuit board, set inside the rear of the column switch assembly, I replaced the complete item, switches, SAS and clock spring cable.

so now the bad news [inevitable really] still have the error codes, still has the "anti skid service" message on the warning panel.

now when running a diagnostic, can anyone put any light on these codes?

bcm- 0111 communication between control units SAS tolerance not yet completed......how do you do this>?

bcm-a031 communication between control units tolerance control for SAS not run.? again....how do you do this check?

bcm -0094 communication between control units communication problems with DEM.?

sorry for the questions, but I work in a hospital and have little spare time currently, as I hope you can appreciate, so any advise would be greatly appreciated, as usual guys:)

marcb May 7th, 2020 20:33

I think you need to get it calibrated or set with dealer software. I don't think you can do it with VIDA.

At least that's what I've seen for a 2005 model, which ours is - yours is 2002 so may not need it?

I've not bothered to fix it as it's not an MOT fail and doesn't affect the car's performance (as far as I can see).

stegreg May 7th, 2020 20:38

thanks for reply, I didn't realize that this error code would still pass an mot, especially as it put the "warning triangle" in to "amber", that's a bit of good news, but may give dealers a call to see how much they would charge to do a check/calibrate. :)

marcb May 7th, 2020 20:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by stegreg (Post 2626598)
thanks for reply, I didn't realize that this error code would still pass an mot, especially as it put the "warning triangle" in to "amber", that's a bit of good news, but may give dealers a call to see how much they would charge to do a check/calibrate. :)

You need to do some investigation on your model first and whether you have fitted the clock spring properly. Did you buy a new one?

I should add that ours doesn't give the warning triangle - just the anti skid service required message, which I can stop seeing by pressing the stalk button. It's no more annoying to me than a fill washer bottle message.

stegreg May 7th, 2020 21:58

yes I did check the position of the clock spring before installation, as it actually only turns 2.1/2 times each way from centre [I counted], the seller had put a cable tie round it before shipping, but I did want to check myself before installing. :)

I also presume that the steering angle sensor also connects to the separate circuit board behind the clock spring, as the rotation signal is used by different systems on the vehicle. that's why I changed the complete assy, including the bit with this circuit board in.

unfortunately, as of 2002/2003, the warning message also flags up an amber colour to the warning triangle.

do I presume [and hope] so long as this remains "amber" it would be an "advisory" on an mot, I do appreciate that if the warning triangle had changed to a red led it would most definitely.....fail. :)

stegreg Jan 19th, 2021 21:52

anti skid service message----FIXED!

Well guys this is going to sound really wird, BUT logical. Ive been living with the warning message for anti skid service for quite a while, been trying on and off the resolve with Vida, but to no avail. however, I replaced the fuel filter a week ago as it was due....then as i was cranking the engine over to kick the air out, the warning message left the screen, then as the engine fired up.....no message. Now i can only presume this was due to an "under volt" issue with the can bus. so as i was cranking the battery voltage pulled down and caused a reset on the system....internally, something not really possible on vida. but its cleared, ive run it for a week now and no further appearances......now...thinking back....when it first appeared, i had a tired battery, which i replaced, but after the anti skid message came up....perhaps i should of put the old battery back on, LOL......but, just to let you know, this is another "consideration" if having issues with can bus faults....its free, no costs involved, no parts to buy.....but maybe worth preventing the engine from firing, and cranking the engine for a minute or so to get the voltage down....rather than making sure the battery is fully charged.