Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   S40 (New) Engine 2.0D : EGR Valve (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=40613)

Valhalla Jul 14th, 2007 21:35

EGR Valve

I have a 05 Volvo S40 2.0d SE, I have had nothing but trouble with it from day one. I have allegedly had a new EGR valve (Exhaust Emmision Control Valve) fitted due to sudden and unexpected power loss, and now the car seems to have developed the same fault again and is going to the dealers next week.

Has any one had a similar problem and should Volvo be recalling the cars to have these changed as a matter of course, or has there been a general recall that the dealers have not complied with.

Any thoughts. Would I buy another Volvo ? not a chance.

Clan Jul 14th, 2007 21:54

yes it can happen twice as the valve and software has been modified .
Its a Ford problem inherited by Volvo , stick with it you should be looked after ...

MarkE Jul 14th, 2007 22:10

Mine was reflashed with the new software, which fixed the problem.

Later on, the valve itself was replaced for the new version.

Over 12 months on, no more problems. Periodically, it's a bit jerky and rough for a bit but I suspect that's the car doing its DPF thing.

chf Jul 15th, 2007 23:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valhalla (Post 263618)
I have a 05 Volvo S40 2.0d SE, I have had nothing but trouble with it from day one. I have allegedly had a new EGR valve (Exhaust Emmision Control Valve) fitted due to sudden and unexpected power loss, and now the car seems to have developed the same fault again and is going to the dealers next week.

Has any one had a similar problem and should Volvo be recalling the cars to have these changed as a matter of course, or has there been a general recall that the dealers have not complied with.

Had the same problem with my Alfa GT. Exhaust Gaz Recirculation was changed and problem happened again within days. Dealer then changed the Air Flow Meter and problem was cured. You may want to suggest this replacement !

Northview Jul 16th, 2007 15:45

Yes, I've had the same problem with my 2006 2.0D SE.

I reported the problem, they blamed the EGR valve (although there were no fault codes recorded in the computer), and did a software update. The fault recurred.

I reported the problem again, they blamed the EGR valve (although there were no fault codes recorded in the computer), and 'recalibrated' it. The fault recurred.

I reported the problem again, they blamed the EGR valve (although there were no fault codes recorded in the computer), and replaced it. The fault recurred.

The saga continues...

All I can suggest is that you keep on at your dealer until they do what it takes to fix the problem and get you off their backs.

Valhalla Jul 17th, 2007 17:08

EGR valve

I took the car over to the dealers today, and asked if there was a problem with the EGR valve on the diesel engine, they said there was, and the new valves have been upgraded.

If the problem turns out to be the EGR valve they said that they would change it, but I have a loan car until Thursday at the earliest

Valhalla Jul 20th, 2007 21:03

EGR Valve

Problem turned out not to be the EGR valve, but a Pressure control valve in the fuel pump, so under the warranty the dealer has changed the fuel pump. They suggested that the EGR valve had been upgraded already, but I have decided if the vehicle breaks down again it goes, and I will go back to a different make of vehicle.

Thanks to all of you who replied and made suggestions as to the way forward.

Clan Jul 20th, 2007 21:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valhalla (Post 266166)
but I have decided if the vehicle breaks down again it goes, and I will go back to a different make of vehicle.

just make sure its not a Ford , Citroen or Peugeot as they all use this engine with this pump and EGR valve ! To be fair once its sorted its generaly reliable afterwards in the engine department .

mjcourtney Jul 24th, 2007 15:49

My 2004 model 1.8 Petrol S40 also developed a fault with the EGR valve after 22,000 miles. Dealer replaced it under warranty and no problems since. :)

Darren_ni Jul 27th, 2007 16:18

I had the same problem on my 05 S40 2.0D and the EGR valve was replaced by the dealer last Thursday. The car drove perfect for two days and then I lost power again.

Went back to the dealer on Monday morning who took the car in for the day. They acknowledged there is a problem and a fault is showing up on the computer but don't believe it is the actual EGR value but perhaps wiring which is either degraded or been nipped/cut at some point and is sending false signals to the computer.

Their plan is to take the car in and trace back all the wiring to see if they can identify if this is the problem. Unfortunately this will not be until next Thursday and they won't provide a car in the meantim so I have been driving for a 80mile round trip each day with limited power - not much fun and has certainly capped my overtaking ability!

Is there anything else it could be as I am starting to loose confidence and am starting to see this as something that will run on and on.

The car was serviced by a non volvo dealer prior to me purchasing it so they have also alleged that it may have been something the person who serviced it has done and they won't stand by the car. I am worried that I will get landed with a sizable bill.

Not sure if anyone has any suggestion that I can ask the dealer to investigate...

PS sorry to hog this post, just didn't want to start another on an EGR valve...

lescar200 Aug 7th, 2007 06:47

I have just had the same problem with my S40 2.0D SE, this happened first in France on the motorway and when I took it to the dealers they first said nothing was wrong with and had it in for a week. Initially they said they couldn't give me a car so we rang the head office and complained , lo and behold a car was suddenly found. Eventually after a week they replaced something that talks to the egr valve (an actuarier or something) and said this had sorted it. I week later it happened again so took it to my normal dealers who had for just over half a day and replaced the egr valve and delivered the car back to my house. So hopefully its sorted now! Fingers crossed. Interesting to see it seems to be a fairly common problem which makes me frustrated that the first dealer had it for so long....and said there was nothing wrong with it..

Chooch Aug 14th, 2007 21:29

Hi Guy's,

This is my first post and sadly it's a tale of dismay too...
I am a car enthousiast, but bought my Volvo out of reliability and safety reasons. However Since Christmas my 55 plate S40 2.0D SE has suffered 3 EGR failures and one or two EGR coolers among other faults. As a result I have contacted Volvo customer services, who have been no use.

Customer services did an investigation into my car, but I'm not allowed to see/hear the results! Customer services offered a member from technical services to view my car, but when I accepted the offer, I was informed my car was fine! I have requested information on the EGR failures and whether or not a recall was in progress.

Today my car went in for a service and got the most up to date flash program. Lets hope that cures things as I'm sure these EGR valves are not up to much or the service procedure is in adequate to rectify the problem.
My courtesy car was an S60 D5, which had a completly different engine / driving experience, it sounded really nice and drove well too.. My engine sounds like an older generation diesel, with clatter and possibly piston slap...

If anyone has any advice on future action to take, please advise. I have written to the Customer Services Manager and Technical Services Manger. I was intending writing to Sweeden too or contacting trading standards / watch dog.

Cheers

Chooch

P.S. Has anyone heard of a fault with sump plug? My car's got to go into the garage again on Saturday for a new sump plug as they've rounded it off, but don't carry them in stock!!!

Clan Aug 14th, 2007 23:05

Unfortunatly the Ford/ Citroen 2.0 D or its control system isnt in the same league as the Volvo D5 . However once teh EGR fault is sorted it should be reliable again
the only problem with the sump plug is that if it is overtightened it will crack the sump and leak ...

Chooch Aug 16th, 2007 20:40

Slightly off topic, but I believe the main dealer had over tightened the plug at the last service, so the rounded it off to remove it this time. I didn't think that there would be a fault with a sump plug.

Are you sure the EGR valve will be okay? I've already had 3! This leads me to think there is something inherent with the design that is the problem. Am I correct in saying that the EGR system was an after thought to permit Volvo to meet the EURO IV emmissions?

Cheers

Chooch

Clan Aug 16th, 2007 21:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chooch (Post 276589)
Slightly off topic, but I believe the main dealer had over tightened the plug at the last service, so the rounded it off to remove it this time. I didn't think that there would be a fault with a sump plug.

Are you sure the EGR valve will be okay? I've already had 3! This leads me to think there is something inherent with the design that is the problem. Am I correct in saying that the EGR system was an after thought to permit Volvo to meet the EURO IV emmissions?

Cheers

Chooch

If the sump is cracked there isnt much alternative than to have a new one .
There are two versions of the EGR Valve perhaps your first ones were the early version which had a spring to shut it and a motor to open it . The later ones use a motor to open and shut the valve as carbon soot gets up past the valve stem and can make it stick .
Not an afterthought , the EGR valve was first around on the 940 TD well over 10 years ago . All diesels these days have them to pass any kind of emission law .. The euro 4 's main asset is the particulate trap, the tail pipe stays clean and shiny inside ...

Chooch Aug 17th, 2007 19:35

Hi Clan,

Do you know if the P/N changed between the two different designs?

On 30/12/06 I had the following fitted:
EGR Cooler P/N 8653691
EGR Valve P/N 30777384
Software download 36001
11,077 miles

On 02/05/07 I had the following fitted:
EGR Cooler P/N 8653691
EGR Valve P/N 30777384
Tube P/N 30757238
Pipe P/N 8653692
Software download 36004
14,014 miles

On 12/06/07 I had the following fitted:
EGR Cooler P/N 8653691
EGR Valve P/N 30777384
Software download 36002
14,704 miles

I believe that they are all the same part. My car is currently on software download 36004 with ECM diesel upgrade 30668281 with DIM upgrade30668196.

Also I believe that my dealers technicians were in competent and rounded off the sump plug by over torquing / using incorrect tools. As far as I know my sump is intact, just need to teach the apprentice how to set / use a torque wrench!

Cheers

Chooch

Marmoset Aug 18th, 2007 10:11

I had trouble getting the sump plug out of mine - it seems slightly oversized so the allen key just rounds it out - I had to hammer an oversize torx bit in to get it out - also had to order a plug in before I did this (I can't beleive that parts like that aren't just in stock)

Clan Aug 18th, 2007 10:25

Just pop in your Ford dealer they should have one :speechless-smiley-2

hitachi Aug 19th, 2007 20:21

possible new volvo owner

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 277221)
Just pop in your Ford dealer they should have one :speechless-smiley-2

Hello you guys. I am new to this site, Been a test drive in a s40 2.0 litre diesel today am thinking of swapping my passat. It seems a good car the volvo.Is this a good move ! And is there anything in particular to look out for. It will probably be a 2004/2005 model. many thanks.

Chooch Aug 21st, 2007 22:16

Hey Hitachi,

If you want to do a deal let me know! As you can see my car's had plenty of maintenance, and otherwise is imacluate. I'm thinking about going passat 4motion tdi....(among others)

D5 would be my recomendation and inside an S40 is one of the nicest interiors I've seen....

Chooch

VeeFourTee Aug 22nd, 2007 13:51

Mine's getting a new EGR valve next week. Suffered from sudden power loss on acceleration from stand-still and slow speed.

Dealer has been very helpful however.

Chooch Aug 24th, 2007 22:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by VeeFourTee (Post 279162)
Mine's getting a new EGR valve next week. Suffered from sudden power loss on acceleration from stand-still and slow speed.

Dealer has been very helpful however.

I suffered the same problem, on my worst EGR failure, mostly it's just been me compalaining about how the car is running. Mine went to limp mode in rush hour traffic, when the lights went to green. I was less than amused...

Chooch

shimon340 Sep 21st, 2007 04:15

hi there

The EGR valve on the petrol 4 cylinders is a different to that on the diesels

The EGR issue on the 2.0 diesel is now solved with new software and also an upgrade valve.

due to the working environment of the valves, it isnt uncommon on any car for them to jam either open or closed... usually after a decent mileage though

im currently aware of the following manufacturers with unsolved EGR issues, hesitation, judder concerns

Honda (all diesels)
Mitsubishi
Renault
Nissan

shimon340 Sep 21st, 2007 04:27

ah.. one other thing....

Im aware of at least three manufacturers where a jammed open or closed EGR valve doesnt log a fault code. there isnt a feedback system to check the "EGR open" request is actually followed by "EGR open sensor response"

its a harsh environment inside the exhaust so the only sensors there are lambda/oxy sensors.

im thinking volvo also hasnt got the valve position sensor/fault code etc given that symptoms dont give any fault codes

if you have a dealer who overly relies on the diagnosis codes you may have a frustrating situation (unfortunately) getting them to admit there is a fault

if you have a dealer who overly relies on the computer codes etc, write to customer service stating your concern about that dealer. letter complaints are logged in a better manner to incoming calls. if they get enough of those sort of complaints.... volvo uk will move to reassess some trainng at that dealer.

here is another non-fault code scenario

not a volvo involved in this one

automatic 4 year old car keep stalling when on full lock. chat with customer shows it happens on left or right lock in both drive and reverse

if you keep away from full lock the car wont stall

car went to the garage 4 times and was sent away with "there are no codes present"

the actual fault??? a failing power steering pump which when operating on full load was struggling to spin properly and was stalling the engine

there is a problem with modern mechanics overly relying on the diagnostic system....

7050man Sep 27th, 2007 20:42

Just to add my unhappy experience this week.
My 2 yr old E4 2.0D V50 had similar symptom this week. Scenario was this:
Driving on motorway at just under 60 waiting to go past an HGV which was overtaking another. When road clear to go immediately noticed that car didn't feel right (no response), so a bit more throttle and car lost power.
Clutch in and rev engine - would not rev freely and definately not above 2500 revs with foot flat on floor.
Ok to drive at no more than 60 but struggles above that. Stopped at next services- car idles fine, stop engine and restart with no problems, but problem still apparent. Stop and wait 15mins before restarting and fault not there anymore.
Now take car to dealer with engine still working fine at this point. Diagnostics indicating fault code and pointing to sensor on top of engine next to battery that I'm told samples air before and after cat filter in exhaust and has some bearing on egr system (not sure of name). Technician said that this was full of water and would need replacing.
Does anyone know what this thing might be and are they prone to condensation? It does sound slightly suspect to me as I've never had this before and car was dry, warmed up and A/C was not on. Car has again failed but I I'm awaiting this part to be fitted so I'll let everyone know the result.

Clan Sep 27th, 2007 20:56

Its a differential pressor sensor , measures the pressure drop across the particle filter so the system knows when it is blocking and when to run the regeneration process ... It comes with the two pipes . Nothing to do with the EGR system this time...

7050man Sep 27th, 2007 21:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 295971)
Its a differential pressor sensor , measures the pressure drop across the particle filter so the system knows when it is blocking and when to run the regeneration process ... It comes with the two pipes . Nothing to do with the EGR system this time...

Thanks Clan. Any thoughts on how it might have been full of water, bearing in mind that car was warm, weather was dry and no A/C on?

Clan Sep 27th, 2007 21:10

well with every gallon of fuel burned a gallon of water goes out the exhaust , just condensation , perhaps the sensor failed allowing gas to pass up one tube and down the other and the water vapour condensed in the cold stainless steel pipes ...

7050man Sep 29th, 2007 07:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 295991)
well with every gallon of fuel burned a gallon of water goes out the exhaust , just condensation , perhaps the sensor failed allowing gas to pass up one tube and down the other and the water vapour condensed in the cold stainless steel pipes ...

Thanks again for reply. I'll have a look at the failed sensor on Monday, as that's when it's being replaced.

Morrisav Oct 21st, 2007 15:01

S40 power loss

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valhalla (Post 263618)

We thought we were the only ones with this problem! Our SE Sport 2006 model has been back 4 times in the last 5 weeks and it is still not right. We had a new EGR valve 12 months ago and everything was fine until now. The garage keep downloading 'software' to fix it but it doesn't! So it's going back again tomorrow, another 50 mile round trip and we still feel it will come back the same. We have only power up to 2000 revs in first 4 gears then if you get into 5th it's fine.

7050man Oct 22nd, 2007 22:10

Further to my post on 27th Sept., I can feed back that car has been absolutely fine since the pressure differential sensor was replaced.

I'd also add that it has been a lot smoother and responsive than before. I suspect that cleaning the pipes going to and from this sensor may have had a lot to do with it (pipes were cleaned by mechanic at time of sensor replacement as recommended by Volvo).

If anyone has any running problems with their car and have read a bit about egr failure, consider that this sensor may be a problem. From what I've read here symtoms may be very similar.

Northview Nov 2nd, 2007 13:15

Good to hear you've got it working right. It's still a bit worrying, though, that it falls to owners discussing the problem on a forum to find a solution - surely that's what Volvo-trained servicing engineers are for?

shimon340 Nov 3rd, 2007 18:58

hi there

so in fact the problem was a blocked diesel particulate filter which wasnt detected by the ECU due to a faulty pressure sensor

reading this post again the symtoms do add up, it was like having a blocked exhaust in that the car lacks power and wont rev. I recently replaced a friends 340s exhaust due to a collapsed back box and at work we have a have a number of cars failing to rev past 2000-3000 rpm and lacking power due to block dfps

glad your car is sorted

paul g Nov 4th, 2007 08:43

EGR but also particulate filter

Morning,

I reviewed this thread when my car was not responding very well. i.e 3000r.p.m and twenty miles an hour in second gear. Just about got it up to 60 on the A12!

Anyway called Chelmsford Lookers and they booked it in straightaway but informed me that earlier this year - when the 'have engine checked' light came on - they had replaced the EGR and upgraded the software! In between times the car responded fine again. Picked the car up yesterday and the guy told me they had identified a particulate filter error which again has been changed/upgraded.

Hope this stays okay.

7050man Nov 5th, 2007 10:44

[QUOTE=shimon340;313397]hi there

so in fact the problem was a blocked diesel particulate filter which wasnt detected by the ECU due to a faulty pressure sensor

No I'm not sure that the particulate filter itself was actually blocked, but possibly just the take off pipes that feed the sensor. My car actually was generating an error that flagged the sensor as the problem (it was found to be full of water when checked, from possible lack of drainage/condensation)
I suspect that if the cpu detects an error/invalid signal by this sensor, then the car will go into some type of limp home mode.

Perhaps a Volvo trained chap can give us a better explaination of the system logic.

Chris_S40 Oct 12th, 2008 09:45

Could EGR valve cause hesitation at 1800 to 2200 rpm

I have recently purchased a 2005 2.0 D and have only experienced the total lack of power once on m62 at 60mph ! but i have an annoying hesitation at 1800 to 2200 rpm on light throttle. I also get diesel knock when engine cold, this may be normal, it is my first s40, so i don't know.

7050man Oct 12th, 2008 12:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris_S40 (Post 413499)
I have recently purchased a 2005 2.0 D and have only experienced the total lack of power once on m62 at 60mph ! but i have an annoying hesitation at 1800 to 2200 rpm on light throttle. I also get diesel knock when engine cold, this may be normal, it is my first s40, so i don't know.

Interesting that you describe this symptom.

My 55 plate 2.0D exhibited the same symptom recently, although noticeable only when engine cold.

If driving slowly along as in traffic with a constant throttle position in say 3rd or 4th gear, the car would change from pulling well to pulling as if the turbo wasn't assisting. Revs were commensurate with turbo kicking in.

I wouldn't worry about the car being noisier when cold. They all are to some degree.
The car was serviced last week, and has been fine since.

skudmissile Oct 26th, 2008 21:40

Interesting thread.

I have a 2005 55 reg 2.0d with 56kmiles.

Ive had the car for 4 months now. And the car has developed a very strange hesisitation.

It first does it from cold in second under light throttling. like a Kangaroo!

The every now and then whilst driving I feel an every so slight loss in power.

In my eyes it doesnt feel right..... Is this what other people have been experiancing?

cheers

John

Biker1968 Dec 22nd, 2008 10:06

You guys don't wanna know the amount of drama I've had with my volvo. It's also a 2.0d from 2005... as I'm in Europe it's called the summum model... top of the range etc.

Anyway, after many many problems, I apparently got a new engine put in the bloody thing with only 72,000km on the clock! They tell me it got a new engine but it certainly didn't feel like it.

Now I'm at 97,000km and it started spewing thick black smoke like a james bond defence mechanism and lacking power and not starting.

New EGR valve needed, so the dealer said. I said, that's the 3rd one isn't it... he said, yeah, you've had a few problems with this one haven't you...?

That's putting it mildly!

This is about the 15th major problem that I've had with this car, and I can tell you I wouldn't have another volvo if they paid me to drive in the damn thing!

Worse car I've ever had!

Smigger Nov 12th, 2009 21:27

Bought my first Volvo yesterday.

Got to say loving the interior and finish etc, one of the nicest I've ever seen!!

1st day driving to work experienced what sounds to be described very well in this thread.

Unexpectedly when I was trying to pull out on a round-a-bout this morning, car was gutless. Like trying to set off in 2nd without any rev's being given to the engine, despite the accelerator pedal being firmly pressed!!! Happened on my way home to. Symptoms do seem to be when the car has been idling and when at low revs and accelerating away.

Bought the car for the safety and reliability and as our first family car, honestly feeling as though my better half and baby may not be as safe as initially thought.

Booked in to the dealer for Monday, just glad I stumbled across this thread before I dropped it off. Still under warranty so hopefully this will be all sorted.

Paul