Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   700/900 Series General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   What would you replace your 940/960 Estate with? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=324072)

Skyedriver Mar 9th, 2022 17:00

What would you replace your 940/960 Estate with?

I've had 740/940/960 Estates for the last 18 years, the current 940 for the last 7 years or thereabouts. Has a few mods, goes well, no rust, 200K miles.
Wife keeps suggesting we sell it and TBH at times we could do with something even more capacious. Thought about the XC60 & V90 but there's less carrying space in them. Considering a Ford Galaxy but they're boring and a Range Rover but not sure about their reliability record.
If you were selling your 940 what would you buy? VW T5 Transporter?
Budget: lets say £10K.

Familyman 90 Mar 9th, 2022 17:25

I had owned mine from new and replaced it with a new P2 V70. In some ways very similar, in some ways quite different, but it did much the same job and did it very well. There are still some excellent examples about that would give you years of service and massive change from your budget.

If you want to step outside of the latge estate car formula then you'll need to be a little more specific about your requirements. A Range Rooney and a Galaxy are very diffetent beasts from each other, never mind from a traditional large estste.

lynns hubby Mar 9th, 2022 17:46

We had been through the 240 940 route and were looking for something to take its place.
Wife always had eyes for the XC70. That was about 5 years ago.
We managed to get a 2006 D5 and have been over the moon with it. The advantage with the XC70 over the V70 for me is that being a little higher off the ground, with me not being as young as I once was, its a bit easier to get in and out of :) The handling does not seem to be effected by the wee bit of extra height and its a pleasure to drive.
You do need to be prepared for "Lap top" stuff if you have any issues. Service messages can be reset with a key sequence but that's about all with out a laptop and the software.
We love it though.

Forrest Mar 9th, 2022 18:10

I currently own three 940 estates and a Mk1 V90 and it is my intention to keep at least one 900 series estate for a long time to come.

Van-like people carriers do have a lot more space though. I and a friend with a Ford Galaxy helped another friend move house a few years ago and I was shocked how much more we could get in the Ford than the Volvo.

I have also been tempted by a Range Rover, primarily for the 4WD capability, but it would have to be an older one, not one of the new ones that looks like the back end has been sat on by an elephant.

Other cars that I have seriously considered owning, for various reasons, over the years are:

Morris Minor Traveller
VW Beetle (original)
MGB GT
MG TF
Chrysler 300C Estate
Chrysler PT Cruiser
Vauxhall Carlton Mk1 Estate (my father did own one of these in the 80s)
Mercedes W123 Estate
Jaguar XJ6

However, the only other cars I have owned are a couple of MK2 Cavaliers and a Scirocco Mk2 which I still use as a summer car.

I am not currently minded to own anything new, electric or hybrid. I tend to keep cars longer than the batteries are likely to last.

john.wigley Mar 9th, 2022 18:13

Likewise, we'd had our '87 745GLE for 18 years when it finally expired in '16.

We replaced it with a late '00 Ph. 1 V70 and hope to keep that one going for a few years yet! It seems slightly smaller inside than the 7/9 series estates, but what we miss most is the steering lock of the earlier cars; that of the FWD V70 is huge by comparison!

With a budget of £10K, you will have a much wider choice, 'Skyedriver'; our V70 cost less than one, and values seem to be remaining firm - maybe even appreciating a little in line with current trends.

Regards, John.

griston64 Mar 9th, 2022 18:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skyedriver (Post 2812394)
I've had 740/940/960 Estates for the last 18 years, the current 940 for the last 7 years or thereabouts. Has a few mods, goes well, no rust, 200K miles.
Wife keeps suggesting we sell it and TBH at times we could do with something even more capacious. Thought about the XC60 & V90 but there's less carrying space in them. Considering a Ford Galaxy but they're boring and a Range Rover but not sure about their reliability record.
If you were selling your 940 what would you buy? VW T5 Transporter?
Budget: lets say £10K.

Might be interested when or if you sell :teeth_smile: Based in Glasgow / Dunoon

Skyedriver Mar 9th, 2022 19:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Forrest (Post 2812416)
I currently own three 940 estates and a Mk1 V90 and it is my intention to keep at least one 900 series estate for a long time to come.

Van-like people carriers do have a lot more space though. I and a friend with a Ford Galaxy helped another friend move house a few years ago and I was shocked how much more we could get in the Ford than the Volvo.

I have also been tempted by a Range Rover, primarily for the 4WD capability, but it would have to be an older one, not one of the new ones that looks like the back end has been sat on by an elephant.

Plan was to keep this 940 lpt (with mods) for ever but times move on and while Wife says she doesn't like driving it, I can't see her driving a Galaxy, RR, or whatever. Neighbour has an XC90, there doesn't seem as much room in it as the 940 and things like the later V90, XC60 etc are definitely smaller inside.
Main use would be a mix of local shopping and collecting son of bus where a little car would do (I do have a lotus Excel & a Caterham) but also holiday trips (Me, wife 16 year old lad, two dogs in cages and too much luggage!) and if I could use it for an overnight stay at a motorsport event (hence the Galaxy or VW T5) then so much the better. Needs to be capable of towing.

volvo always Mar 9th, 2022 23:26

For me another 940! Practical, easy to maintain and reliable.

Tempted by a Lexus RX 300/400h but expensive to buy, insure.

Have a 2015 Auris Hybrid estate, practical, but not as big as the 940. Also don't think you can tow anything with a hybrid.

Toyota Estima, Previa etc?

James

Laird Scooby Mar 10th, 2022 00:43

With that kind of budget Tony, i'd look seriously at a Honda Odyssey or better still, Elysion. If you really want 4x4 capability, some Elysions are available with this and with a huge load deck and removal rear seats at the back (leaves middle row in place) sounds like it would fit your criteria.

Early versions have a 3.0V6 VTEC engine and auto box generally (the auto box is essentially a hydraulically shifted, electronically controlled manual with a lock-up torque converter so no worries about loss of efficiency through the box), later ones had a 3.5V6, many versions have a system that drops 3 cylinders out for light cruising enhancing fuel economy which can be exceptional (for the size of car/engine) on a run although round town you're looking at low-mid 20s.

The downside is they're import only so come equipped with a JDM spec ICE/Sat-Nav unit that most people change for a UK spec ICE and stand-alone sat-nag or phone. Many also have roof mounted DVD players (only rear passengers can see them i believe) as well and multi-zone climate control as well.

That said i'd just keep the Volvo in the first place and only replace it if some clumsy oaf wrote it off or it suffered terminal tinworm.

Skyedriver Mar 10th, 2022 07:06

Thanks everyone, some interesting suggestions there Laird S, 4x4 not a necessity and not sure I really want an auto TBH.
Keep the 940 is the most popular option amongst this board and my wallet too.
I'll keep you posted, thanks.

TurnipSpeed Mar 10th, 2022 08:59

While waiting for my 940 to get fixed(no, I’ll never get rid of it until it dies), we bought a Honda CRZ Hybrid.
No reason, not practical, but different and a bit mad, but totally irrational.
But we won’t be getting constant requests from family(Dad, can you take me/pick this up/move this).
Win,win.

loki_the_glt Mar 10th, 2022 09:05

Second-generation Mondeo estate, 2000-2006? Has a decent loadspace and handles well.

The third-generation isn't as space-efficient even though it's within inches of the 7/900-series cars.

Laird Scooby Mar 10th, 2022 09:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by loki_the_glt (Post 2812508)
Second-generation Mondeo estate, 2000-2006? Has a decent loadspace and handles well.

The third-generation isn't as space-efficient even though it's within inches of the 7/900-series cars.

Now i'm confused!!! The Mondeo was first launched in 1993/94 time and looked like this :

https://www.hagerty.co.uk/wp-content...onal-Ford6.jpg

Then in ~1996 had a facelift and became :

https://www.hagerty.co.uk/wp-content...onal-Ford4.jpg

What i always thought was the thrid gen Mondeo aka Mk3 came along in 2000 :

https://cdn-csnetworkstock.s3.amazon...mondeo_1_l.jpg

Either people in general are classing the ~1996 "facelift" as still being the Mk1 or first gen or they've completely forgotten about the real first gen as often happens when there are several incarnations of a model. For example, i've seen many Mk2 Vauxhall Carltons advertised on fleabay as being "Mk1" which they certainly weren't as they were launched in ~1979 and the Mk2 appeared in 83/84 time, first ones just about getting a "new" A-prefix registration but most were B reg.

Alternatively i'm counting the facelift in 1996 ish on the Mondeo as being the second gen when i shouldn't although in ~2003 i drive many brand new Mondeos and the people selling them called them the Mk3 at the time.

Whichever way you look at it, the 2000-2006 were great cars, went well, economical, handled well and had a fairly large load space in estate version. Wouldn't challenge a 7/9xx for load space but similar to a V70 of a similar age.

PS - all images shamelessly "borrowed" from various online sources...........:tongwink:

Moomoo Mar 10th, 2022 09:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by TurnipSpeed (Post 2812507)
While waiting for my 940 to get fixed(no, I’ll never get rid of it until it dies), we bought a Honda CRZ Hybrid.
No reason, not practical, but different and a bit mad, but totally irrational.
But we won’t be getting constant requests from family(Dad, can you take me/pick this up/move this).
Win,win.

When I was at uni, (mature student), I was told people laugh at Volvo drivers. The only V70 in the car park!

I said we laugh at wardrobes hanging precariously out of Euro-boxes!:tongwink:

Laird Scooby Mar 10th, 2022 09:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moomoo (Post 2812521)
When I was at uni, (mature student), I was told people laugh at Volvo drivers. The only V70 in the car park!

I said we laugh at wardrobes hanging precariously out of Euro-boxes!:tongwink:

We also laugh at Euroblobs that think they're faster and then find they're not!

Clan Mar 10th, 2022 10:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by skyedriver (Post 2812394)
i've had 740/940/960 estates for the last 18 years, the current 940 for the last 7 years or thereabouts. Has a few mods, goes well, no rust, 200k miles.
Wife keeps suggesting we sell it and tbh at times we could do with something even more capacious. Thought about the xc60 & v90 but there's less carrying space in them. Considering a ford galaxy but they're boring and a range rover but not sure about their reliability record.
If you were selling your 940 what would you buy? Vw t5 transporter?
Budget: Lets say £10k.

2004 v70 d5

Moomoo Mar 10th, 2022 10:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 2812528)
2004 v70 d5

Best car I ever had!:teeth_smile:

griston64 Mar 10th, 2022 10:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moomoo (Post 2812529)
Best car I ever had!:teeth_smile:

Funnily enough my 2004 V70 D5 was by far the worst car I have ever owned:shocked:

Moomoo Mar 10th, 2022 10:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by griston64 (Post 2812531)
Funnily enough my 2004 V70 D5 was by far the worst car I have ever owned:shocked:

C’est la vie, as we say in Derbyshire!:teeth_smile:

Rversteeg Mar 10th, 2022 11:00

940lpt

What is the right time to replace a faithful 940? I used to push the decision ahead by thinking: "let's first hit the half a million kilometer mark". When it finally happened it was quite uneventful and the obviousness made me forget my contemplations. Meanwhile she is now approaching 700K km and I am no longer thinking of replacing it on the short term. It passes the yearly MOT without major issues, I have parts replaced that need replacing and stopped thinking if it is still economical to do so. Just a few weeks ago I met another 940 owner who already passed one million kilometers, which will take me at least another 12 years....
When on holiday I sometimes drive a rental car, such as the latest V60 or XC40. Very enjoyable to drive and you can feel very well the results of 30 years of vehicle development. But...., when I come home and step into my 940 again. It fits like a glove, no electronics but me back in full control again, wide view around and the pleasant feeling of somewhat standing out of the crowd. Turning the key not only cranks the engine but also puts a smile on my face!
I intend now to keep it running as long as possible. My wife has sort of accepted it and grants me my pleasure!

griston64 Mar 10th, 2022 12:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moomoo (Post 2812535)
C’est la vie, as we say in Derbyshire!:teeth_smile:

'That's just the way it is'..............

T5R92011 Mar 10th, 2022 12:30

+1 on a 2004 V70 D5.

They (P2 models) are serious cars in my opinion. Perhaps the last generation of Volvo that was truly designed for epic mileages.

And the simplicity of the Euro 3 D5 engine is a beautiful thing.
Go and watch any video of anybody trying to work on a BMW diesel engine and look at how many things have to be removed in order to do anything.

On these D5 engine, even something that you rarely need to replace (such as high pressure fuel pump) is very easy to do.

nemesisthewarlock Mar 10th, 2022 19:40

1 Attachment(s)
It's easy buy another 960 heck a low mileage very clean Japanese import would be around £8 to £10k :regular_smile:

I wouldn't be without fat slag #1 and would buy another in a heartbeat...

Attachment 140362

Indeed given how well she's running atm I have promised her a clay bar and probably and underseal sometime this year...

Skyedriver Mar 10th, 2022 20:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by nemesisthewarlock (Post 2812645)
It's easy buy another 960 heck a low mileage very clean Japanese import would be around £8 to £10k :regular_smile:

I wouldn't be without fat slag #1 and would buy another in a heartbeat...

Attachment 140362

Indeed given how well she's running atm I have promised her a clay bar and probably and underseal sometime this year...

That's pretty,
TBH I always looked at the 940/960 as just a box but over the last couple of years I've come to appreciate the styling and it's actually become the car you park and look back at when you walk away....

classicswede Mar 10th, 2022 20:23

I binned my S80 a good few years ago and gave my brother my V70 D5 and upgraded to 960's as the daily cars. I doubt I will ever go with a car newer than the 960/V90 but never know what will happen in the next 20-40 odd years

nemesisthewarlock Mar 11th, 2022 02:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by classicswede (Post 2812657)
I binned my S80 a good few years ago and gave my brother my V70 D5 and upgraded to 960's as the daily cars. I doubt I will ever go with a car newer than the 960/V90 but never know what will happen in the next 20-40 odd years

i bought a S80 v8 as my backup volvo but the 960 is my goddess and the s80 my loud expensive obnoxious fat slag #2

loki_the_glt Mar 11th, 2022 08:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skyedriver (Post 2812654)
That's pretty,
TBH I always looked at the 940/960 as just a box but over the last couple of years I've come to appreciate the styling and it's actually become the car you park and look back at when you walk away....

And they stand out in a crowded car-park; if you can look over the SUVs and soft-roaders that everyone seems to use these days. Or is to make sure that some unscupulous individual that covets it hasn't stolen it?!

tofufi Mar 11th, 2022 08:46

I crossed Finland in an XC60 yesterday.

It was a lovely place to be until you settle in for a while - the ride and seats were too firm. My back is not comfortable today...

Skyedriver Mar 11th, 2022 09:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by tofufi (Post 2812727)
I crossed Finland in an XC60 yesterday.

It was a lovely place to be until you settle in for a while - the ride and seats were too firm. My back is not comfortable today...

Interesting.
Before I bought the current 940 and after I scrapped he last one I bought a Jaguar X-Type. Quick, handled well, looked nice but could only get one dog cage in the back but worst of all the seats! Half an hour max and you were crippled.
On a long journey I'd be stuffing coats and jumpers in between me and the seat. My wife borrowed it for a 30 mile trip one Saturday. Didn't want to get back in the car to drive home. That quickly went to be replaced by the current 940. I'm cautious of making a similar mistake again.

Re the 960: there seems a lot of love here for the 6 cylinder car. I've had one, nicer trim inside but was pretty rusty underneath (bought unseen of ebay) so sold it on. My 940 is an lpt but with MBC, strut brace, chassis brace, 960 front ARB and doubled up rear ARBs and HD springs and rear bilsteins. Also Galaxies improve the look as well as the handling and road holding. Would a decent low miles 960 be worth looking at?
(Giving up on the Range Rover idea, even RR owners are trying to dissuade me with tales of woe!).

Laird Scooby Mar 11th, 2022 11:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skyedriver (Post 2812740)
Interesting.
Before I bought the current 940 and after I scrapped he last one I bought a Jaguar X-Type. Quick, handled well, looked nice but could only get one dog cage in the back but worst of all the seats! Half an hour max and you were crippled.
On a long journey I'd be stuffing coats and jumpers in between me and the seat. My wife borrowed it for a 30 mile trip one Saturday. Didn't want to get back in the car to drive home. That quickly went to be replaced by the current 940. I'm cautious of making a similar mistake again.

Re the 960: there seems a lot of love here for the 6 cylinder car. I've had one, nicer trim inside but was pretty rusty underneath (bought unseen of ebay) so sold it on. My 940 is an lpt but with MBC, strut brace, chassis brace, 960 front ARB and doubled up rear ARBs and HD springs and rear bilsteins. Also Galaxies improve the look as well as the handling and road holding. Would a decent low miles 960 be worth looking at?
(Giving up on the Range Rover idea, even RR owners are trying to dissuade me with tales of woe!).

Thanks for putting me off the X-Type Tony, it was on my short-list as potential replacements if something ever happens to my 760 but it makes the list shorter again at least! Down to one again in fact which for me is a 5th Gen Honda Accord Aerodeck - but it has to be the right colour, engine and transmission.

As for whether you should change your 940 for a 960, that's only a decision you can make. I'd suggest test driving a few with a view to a potential purchase and see if they fit what you want.

As for the Range Rover, the only ones worth looking at are what is now known as the "Classic" Range Rover, the original shape. Fuel economy is horrendous, even with the V8 EFi (the most economical because the engine is best suited to the bodyshell) but most are going to be 30+ years old and good ones carry a £££ premium, bad ones will cost even more in rust repairs, driveshaft repairs and so many other things.
An alternative would be a Jeep Cherokee, again the 4.0HO version is juicy but if converted to LPG as many were, surprisingly economical to use, even on long runs. The seats are ok for long runs too. Rear leaf springs go weak and a popular upgrade is to fit the rear leaf springs from the 2.5TD variant as they are a fair bit stiffer to start with. A Grand Cherokee gives a bit more luxury and slightly longer wheelbase on later models but avoid 1998-2002 straight 6 models as they had weak cylinder heads/cooling systems.

Forrest Mar 11th, 2022 11:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skyedriver (Post 2812740)

I bought a Mk1 V90, essentially the same as a 3.0 960 estate, unseen off a member on here last year. I've been really pleased with it and in most respects I prefer it to my 940s. The driver's seat is very comfortable but seems slightly more cramped due, I suspect, to the electric controls and the obligatory sunroof.

Although, so far, all mine has needed is a bit of gentle fettling I get the feeling some DIY maintenance tasks could be harder/different on the 960. Things I've noticed so far:
  • Removing the instrument panel requires more dismantling
  • There are six rather than four spark plugs to check/replace!
  • The rear axle and gearbox are hard to access - possible minor leaks on mine
  • A late V90 uses genuine OBD2 hence needs a code reader
  • Changing the belts looks harder - I left this to the garage
However, with experience of both now, if having to choose in the future I would go for a 960 over a 940 any day.

TonyS9 Mar 11th, 2022 11:43

When I'm a billionaire next year or so, I'll buy an EV, probably a basic Long Range Tesla or the Polestar, properly restore the 940 and convert it to electric.

Laird Scooby Mar 11th, 2022 12:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by TonyS9 (Post 2812760)
properly restore the 940 and convert it to electric.

Isn't that an oxymoron? To properly restore the 940 would mean keeping it as the factory intended - i.e. with a proper petrol engine.

However i suspect you really mean you'd restore everything properly except the engine/transmission and then convert to electric. There are units around now (i think it might have been you that alerted me to them) where you remove the OE back axle and bolt in a new unit complete with motor, brakes, diff etc all built together as a unit.
Batteries and cooling etc in the engine bay and Bob's your aunties live-in lover. :thumbs_up:

Most of those units are bespoke to particular models although i think they do universal models.

It's a way of future-proofing your 940 for at least a decade or so until the various powers that be around the planet realise they've screwed up royally by putting all their energy eggs in one basket and plundering the planet for other minerals to create the batteries for the BEVs so the mines for cobalt and other things all collapse inwards and the planet implodes.

It'll be Dieselgate all over again, once more the various governments including ours were told in the early/mid 80s diesel was NOT clean and environmentaly friendly and would cause health problems among many other things.
People keep saying BEV batteries will be recycled but as of now, nobody seems to know HOW! :nah:

Will we have no-go areas because too many BEV batteries have been dumped awaiting recycling and have contaminated the environment causing animal mutations and other horrible realities?

Too many unanswered questions surround BEVs for me to buy-in to the idea at the moment. Our electrical infrastructure can't withstand a few storms without serious power outages, it will be much worse when everyone and his dog are charging their BEVs overnight and Storm Englebert comes along and wipes out the power grid. What if Putin deploys EMP blast weapons? Won't matter what fuel you run on then, the only cars left running will be those without semiconductor control for the fuel and ignition so most cars before ~1980 on petrol and mid-late 90s for diseasel.
All cars with modern EFi and umpteen computers to control everything including things like wipers, interior lights as well will be expensive garden ornaments.

360beast Mar 11th, 2022 13:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laird Scooby (Post 2812773)
Isn't that an oxymoron? To properly restore the 940 would mean keeping it as the factory intended - i.e. with a proper petrol engine.

However i suspect you really mean you'd restore everything properly except the engine/transmission and then convert to electric. There are units around now (i think it might have been you that alerted me to them) where you remove the OE back axle and bolt in a new unit complete with motor, brakes, diff etc all built together as a unit.
Batteries and cooling etc in the engine bay and Bob's your aunties live-in lover. :thumbs_up:

Most of those units are bespoke to particular models although i think they do universal models.

It's a way of future-proofing your 940 for at least a decade or so until the various powers that be around the planet realise they've screwed up royally by putting all their energy eggs in one basket and plundering the planet for other minerals to create the batteries for the BEVs so the mines for cobalt and other things all collapse inwards and the planet implodes.

It'll be Dieselgate all over again, once more the various governments including ours were told in the early/mid 80s diesel was NOT clean and environmentaly friendly and would cause health problems among many other things.
People keep saying BEV batteries will be recycled but as of now, nobody seems to know HOW! :nah:

Will we have no-go areas because too many BEV batteries have been dumped awaiting recycling and have contaminated the environment causing animal mutations and other horrible realities?

Too many unanswered questions surround BEVs for me to buy-in to the idea at the moment. Our electrical infrastructure can't withstand a few storms without serious power outages, it will be much worse when everyone and his dog are charging their BEVs overnight and Storm Englebert comes along and wipes out the power grid. What if Putin deploys EMP blast weapons? Won't matter what fuel you run on then, the only cars left running will be those without semiconductor control for the fuel and ignition so most cars before ~1980 on petrol and mid-late 90s for diseasel.
All cars with modern EFi and umpteen computers to control everything including things like wipers, interior lights as well will be expensive garden ornaments.

Atleast those of us in the section will have very good looking garden ornaments :D

Skyedriver Mar 11th, 2022 17:06

Can't say all X types are like that, that one has black leather "sports" seats, at least I think they were "sports". Crippling more like. The car itself was obviously a far newer design than the 940, driving, steering, handling much more like a modern car and with close on 200bhp was quite nippy.
It was that car that made me update the next (current) 940 to bring it into the 21st Century.

Laird Scooby Mar 11th, 2022 19:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skyedriver (Post 2812836)
Can't say all X types are like that, that one has black leather "sports" seats, at least I think they were "sports". Crippling more like. The car itself was obviously a far newer design than the 940, driving, steering, handling much more like a modern car and with close on 200bhp was quite nippy.
It was that car that made me update the next (current) 940 to bring it into the 21st Century.

I remember test driving a new one about 20-22 years ago (when i could have afforded it) and the seats seemed ok to me then. However that was a short test drive and i was comparing it to my 10-12 year old XJ40 which was good on a long journey.

That said my back was still relatively ok at the time unlike these days! :err:

Skyedriver Mar 11th, 2022 19:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laird Scooby (Post 2812852)
I remember test driving a new one about 20-22 years ago (when i could have afforded it) and the seats seemed ok to me then. However that was a short test drive and i was comparing it to my 10-12 year old XJ40 which was good on a long journey.

That said my back was still relatively ok at the time unlike these days! :err:

Yes I had a test drive of about 15 minutes around the local streets, seemed OK. On a test drive I tend to look more for brakes pulling to one side, clutch slip, steering shake, all electrics work etc., not look for the nearest Chiropractor.

Laird Scooby Mar 11th, 2022 20:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skyedriver (Post 2812856)
Yes I had a test drive of about 15 minutes around the local streets, seemed OK. On a test drive I tend to look more for brakes pulling to one side, clutch slip, steering shake, all electrics work etc., not look for the nearest Chiropractor.

Likewise although my test drive was more like 20 minutes but he wouldn't let me go on the motorway for some odd reason.
As it was new, for me it was more about how it drove, performance, handling etc than the usual faults to knock the price down.

As for my nearest chiropractor, she's about 1/4 mile away these days although i've not visited her yet.

940volvoman Mar 11th, 2022 23:35

For me, it would have to be practical at both ends. My 940 Celebration has an excellent turning circle, which is perfect for all the mini roundabouts here. (my wife's Peugeot 208 just can't match it), and the massive boot space.

I dont think I'll change it yet, though.....

Shaun

loki_the_glt Mar 12th, 2022 08:57

I looked at an X-Type estate as a daily driver before acquiring my 14-plate Mondeo estate; very nice luxury car with the bits I needed - manual gearbox and diesel engine.

BUT - cream leather interior so not a great idea when your work clothes are navy blue and black; a load area that was beautifully trimmed so vulnerable to scuffing when putting camera cases/model train stock/bags of compost and other gardening materials into it; relatively confined loading aperture.

The Mondeo I ended up with was a 1.6 Titanium X Business Edition (the badging was too long to fit on the tailgate!) with all the bits I needed and some toys that I didn't.