Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   Events and Meetings (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   oxford meet? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=28574)

minesa240x3 Dec 10th, 2006 01:11

oxford meet?

anyone know if there is going to be an oxford meet soon?there was a suggestion but i think it faded away due to distance,can't keep cleaning the car in case,well alright i can just because i want to.i also would like to meet some volvo nuts as my workmates are fed up with all my conversations ending up talking about my 240.also i have modified the grill big time and would like some feedback,be gentle with me though.

mikecrox Dec 17th, 2006 19:23

Hi guys

Ive just phoned the trout inn at Wolvercote theres no problem meeting up in there car park But the place is getting a refurb in there restaurant in January so the place wont be open until march 23rd 2007.

CTCNetwork Dec 17th, 2006 19:38

Hi,

There must be another pub or location close to food that has ample parking facilities which they wouldn't mind us using..?
Any locals that know of somewhere?

Also, it doesn't have to be Oxfodr, perhaps a town nearby like Kidlington or Bicester perhaps?

Des. . . ;)

pzorb Dec 17th, 2006 19:46

How about the Perch Inn, down Botley Road by Port Meadow? It has a lovely beer garden, but has recently changed hands so I can't comment on the food.

The car park is of medium size, maybe half the size of the Trout's. It's usually more than half full at the weekend, as people park up to walk the dog etc. For a few cars I suspect it shouldn't be a problem.

There are a few nice pubs up in Cumnor too, but I can't think of the names at the moment. If needs be I'll drive up and do a rekky :)

IC Dec 17th, 2006 20:16

Sounds good Martin, it would be a good idea to post a calendar of meets of the first couple of months of next year so that there are no conflicts. I will post an advance Crooked Billet calendar. What we will be offering in the New Year is a Castle Comb track day which will be priced so that everybody can have an opportunity to take their car out on a decent racetrack with all the safety aspects taken care of. Mike it sounds like you are taking care of the Oxford meet - Martin it would be good if you were to have a look at the Perch Inn and anywhere else and let everybody know what it's like - good to meet you this afternoon!

Hi Flyer437 Dec 17th, 2006 20:51

MX-5 OC used to (still?) use The Longwall; it's a Beefeater (:() but just off of the southern bypass at the Cowley turn, so handy and easy to find. Big car park too.

As the Trout's shut, there's always the Rose Revived just south of Standlake on the A415.

CTCNetwork Dec 17th, 2006 21:25

Hi,
Quote:

Originally Posted by IC (Post 181063)
Sounds good Martin, it would be a good idea to post a calendar of meets of the first couple of months of next year so that there are no conflicts.

In fact, it would be an idea if there was a calander function available for vB to have it installed.
Accessable to Admins/Moderators only to add proposed meets so that we know they will not conflict and could pick and choose the meets to attend.. :)

A big carpark, would be hanndy, as knowing Sundays these pubs have a tendancy to fill up for sunday dinners..

So long as the spot is easily accessable, there should not be too much worry, although outside the main city area would be best, me thinks...

Des. . . ;)

mikecrox Dec 17th, 2006 21:28

Hi guys

I havent picked a date yet but is a saturday ok with every one as des says sunday can be busy.

S60-MBS Dec 17th, 2006 21:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikecrox (Post 181122)
Hi guys

I havent picked a date yet but is a saturday ok with every one as des says sunday can be busy.

Staurdays counts me out ..i could never get a day off...

timway Dec 17th, 2006 22:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by S60-MBS (Post 181135)
Staurdays counts me out ..i could never get a day off...

Ohhh... poor Mo... :(:cry_smile: :dude_hug:

S60-MBS Dec 17th, 2006 22:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by timway (Post 181147)
Ohhh... poor Mo... :(:cry_smile: :dude_hug:

Unless the Saturday falls on my rostered days off ..lol Timmy i'll make a special effort to attend if your there just so that i can irritate you..:Banane59:

timway Dec 17th, 2006 22:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by S60-MBS (Post 181159)
Unless the Saturday falls on my rostered days off ..lol Timmy i'll make a special effort to attend if your there just so that i can irritate you..:Banane59:

awwww you'd never irritate me Mo! :wub::rose::kiss:

IC Dec 17th, 2006 22:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by CTCNetwork (Post 181121)
Hi,

In fact, it would be an idea if there was a calander function available for vB to have it installed.
Accessable to Admins/Moderators only to add proposed meets so that we know they will not conflict and could pick and choose the meets to attend.. :)

A big carpark, would be hanndy, as knowing Sundays these pubs have a tendancy to fill up for sunday dinners..

So long as the spot is easily accessable, there should not be too much worry, although outside the main city area would be best, me thinks...

Des. . . ;)

Des, the calendar on VB won't work as it isn't suitable - we've looked at this and there are certain data that is automatically loaded that we don't want. I'll start a calendar soon so that we can start planning.

IC Dec 17th, 2006 22:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikecrox (Post 181122)
Hi guys

Mike, meets have been traditionaly on a Sunday - it doesn't mean that there cannot be a change...

pzorb Dec 18th, 2006 00:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hi Flyer437 (Post 181093)
As the Trout's shut, there's always the Rose Revived just south of Standlake on the A415.

That's a really good idea. The roads getting to there can be pretty spirited too.

CTCNetwork Dec 18th, 2006 00:46

Hi,

Don't mind a Saturday in principle...

But would miss out on a laugh with Mo and that just wouldn't be cricket.. :D

If the location is Ok and the owner/proprietor doesn't mind?
Best check with the landlord to make sure I think...

Des. . . ;)

mikecrox Dec 18th, 2006 19:00

Hello guys

Ive just phoned the longwall in cowley Oxford and there is no problem useing thier car park and useing thier restaurant so im going to set a date and it is

21st January 2007

is this date ok with everyone

Mike

CTCNetwork Dec 19th, 2006 01:41

Hi,

Never think that far in advance me.. :)
Should be Ok as on the above principal the diary is empty for that day.. :D

Des. . . ;)

minesa240x3 Dec 24th, 2006 02:02

hi mike the 21st sounds great to me,looking forward to meeting some of you.one thing though,am i the only 240 nut who is coming? if so will i be able to park next to all those ultra new shiny cars without looking like an antique,come on all you 240 owners lets see if we can keep up numbers,

Alec Dawe Dec 24th, 2006 04:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by minesa240x3 (Post 183396)
hi mike the 21st sounds great to me,looking forward to meeting some of you.one thing though,am i the only 240 nut who is coming? if so will i be able to park next to all those ultra new shiny cars without looking like an antique,come on all you 240 owners lets see if we can keep up numbers,

If I can, I'll try to make this meet and bring 'Bertha' my 240GLT, so you'll have a battered 240 to park next to! Not sure about the date tho, might be the day that my wife is going away (school trip) so I might be looking after the kids at home

mikecrox Dec 24th, 2006 09:02

Hi minsa240x3 million only joking

Please bring your 240 along im looking forward to seeing it, if you know any body else with a classic or modern they are more than welcome to bring it along, im going to ask my friend if he wants to take his pv to Oxford if not i will take my car, lets hope it not raining or blowing a gale on the day see you soon guys.

Mike :)

CTCNetwork Dec 24th, 2006 09:43

Hi,
Quote:

Originally Posted by minesa240x3 (Post 183396)

Mike, you can always park next to my "not quite so new" V90, they are of a similar heritage, after all... :)

Des. . . ;)

pzorb Dec 24th, 2006 11:56

Two words you wouldn't use to describe my 850 are shiny and new. It went off-roading in the fog to rescue a van that didn't bother slowing down for an icy 90 degree bend, and the 186,000 miles on the clock often confuses new service staff at the dealership when they see that the normal service sheets don't go anywhere near that high.
Though it has recently got a new Magic Tree.

Alec Dawe Dec 27th, 2006 18:29

Damn!!! Just checked the diary, and I can't make the 21st. My wife is going away with 48 school children on a field trip (she's braver than me) and I have to take her to the pick up point.
Saturday 20th is out too, I'm crawling about inside a steam boiler that day (actual paid work would you believe), so looks like I'll have to miss this meet.

CTCNetwork Dec 27th, 2006 18:31

Hi,
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alec Dawe (Post 184220)
Damn!!! Just checked the diary, and I can't make the 21st.

Bugger.....
No way out at all??? :hissyfit:

Des. . . ;)

IC Dec 27th, 2006 18:38

I don't think I can make it either, I've got a meeting on Saturday evening and Sunday morning, shame as it's only a 150 mile 'round trip for me rather than the 340 miles 'round trip of Stoke. If I can make it I will try - all depends when the meeting finishes in the morning.....

Alec Dawe Dec 27th, 2006 18:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by CTCNetwork (Post 184221)
Hi,

Bugger.....
No way out at all??? :hissyfit:

Des. . . ;)

Doesn't look like it. I have to drive Marion to load the kids at 11.30 in wildest Norfolk, so getting from there to Oxford for the meet at that time is most unlikely, plus I would have teenage daughter to look after as well, and she hates the 240 so much that she almost refuses to ride in it, and hides in the footwells if we pass any of the er, "friends" if I pick her up from school in it!

CTCNetwork Dec 28th, 2006 09:15

Hi,

Shame... And Iain too... ;(

Ohh well.. Will have to make do with out you... :mumbles:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alec Dawe (Post 184224)
and she hates the 240 so much that she almost refuses to ride in it, and hides in the footwells if we pass any of the er, "friends" if I pick her up from school in it!

At least there is room in them for her to hide.. Not in some new fangled cars...!

Des. . . ;)

Pedro Fandango Jan 8th, 2007 19:45

1 mikecrox
2 CTCNetwork
3 minesa240x3
4 pzorb
5 MissD with Mildred (her first meet)
6 pedro fandango

come on folks theres got to be more coming than that, & has someone got a full address for the pub please

CTCNetwork Jan 9th, 2007 09:37

Hi,

Given we have 2 topics on this we should cut one and use the other as the main topic for the meet?
Linky....

And make minds up on which pub it is?

Des. . . ;)

mikecrox Jan 9th, 2007 11:23

the meeting is at

Beefeater restaurant and pub
longwall
bussiness park
cowley
Oxford

21st January 2007:)

mikecrox Jan 9th, 2007 11:29

Mo is going aswell so thats 7 people lets try and make double figures lads come on we can do it, i think cavey is going aswell so thats 8

Mike

Pedro Fandango Jan 9th, 2007 19:29

1 mikecrox
2 CTCNetwork
3 minesa240x3
4 pzorb
6 pedro fandango
7 S60 MBS
8 cavey

pzorb Jan 9th, 2007 23:47

Question: what time - 12.30 or thereabouts I assume?

CTCNetwork Jan 10th, 2007 00:51

Hi,
Quote:

Originally Posted by pzorb (Post 190293)
Question: what time - 12.30 or thereabouts I assume?

Should be Ok, but just to let you know I will be picking up some wheels in/around Reading on the day too.. :)

Des. . . ;)

Rbphot Jan 10th, 2007 10:25

Add me to the list, is only about 45min out from london, hey pedro it will be nice to see you again it's been a while since you managed a crooked billet one.

Ray

Pedro Fandango Jan 10th, 2007 15:41

1 mikecrox
2 CTCNetwork
3 minesa240x3
4 pzorb
6 pedro fandango
7 S60 MBS
8 cavey
9 Rbphot

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rbphot (Post 190413)
Add me to the list, is only about 45min out from london, hey pedro it will be nice to see you again it's been a while since you managed a crooked billet one.

all the moneys been going into more mods for the car than petrol lately but yeh be good to see everyone again

morsing Jan 11th, 2007 14:22

1 mikecrox
2 CTCNetwork
3 minesa240x3
4 pzorb
6 pedro fandango
7 S60 MBS
8 cavey
9 Rbphot
10 Morsing

There, double figures :)

S60-MBS Jan 11th, 2007 14:29

Has anybody asked on the VPCUK wether any of their guys would like to come over too?...

Pedro Fandango Jan 11th, 2007 15:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by morsing (Post 190881)
There, double figures :)

excellent lets try for triple figures now lol