Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   Volvo Car Press Releases (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=111)
-   -   No more 5 cylinders from Volvo (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=134272)

Stefanfed Sep 17th, 2011 20:39

No more 5 cylinders from Volvo

Not sure if this has been mentioned but there will soon be no more 5 cylinders being developed by Volvo :(

850Chris Sep 17th, 2011 21:24

The end of an era started by the 850T5 :(. 5 cylinder turbo engines are amazing and have powered some awesome cars over the years. The sound they make is so distinctive. Always thought it a shame that the latest V70 doesn't have a super powerful 5. Also, the fact you can only get the T6 (twin turbo straight 6) as an auto is a sign of the way Volvo are moving. A sad day indeed!

Daim Sep 17th, 2011 21:33

I never liked the 5 cylinders... Always thought they sounded broken and had no benefits compared to equal sized 4/6 cylinders.

My Mum's S80 2.0T (B5204T8) runs more rough, than my 2.0l 4 cylinder. It doesn't have the exhaust note (stock) which my (stock) engine has.

Also, I never thought of the I5 as a Volvo engine. Volvo engines have 4 or 6 cylinders (my opinion) and had a smoothness, which was hard to beat at the time of development (i.e. as the redblocks came).

t5_monkey Sep 17th, 2011 22:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daim (Post 987003)
I never liked the 5 cylinders... Always thought they sounded broken and had no benefits compared to equal sized 4/6 cylinders.

My Mum's S80 2.0T (B5204T8) runs more rough, than my 2.0l 4 cylinder. It doesn't have the exhaust note (stock) which my (stock) engine has.

Also, I never thought of the I5 as a Volvo engine. Volvo engines have 4 or 6 cylinders (my opinion) and had a smoothness, which was hard to beat at the time of development (i.e. as the redblocks came).

Try upgrading your hearing aid!

5 cylinders sound AMAZING!! audi Quattro rally car anyone ??

Stefanfed Sep 17th, 2011 23:02

How can you not like the 5 cylinders I have never known anyone not like them

Jim760 Sep 18th, 2011 06:35

allways loved the noise, but the 6 pot 24v whiteblock can sound simular to them. my isue with the 5 cyl was how tight to work on it was for me (this is not going to improve with the way of modern cars) and the fact that they were fitted to FWD or AWD cars only. :loser:

what it is, some people may just not apriciate that sound,and are more suited to the casual waftign of a 6 or a 4, an odd number may even sound popsterous!

heres a jazzed up I6 (960, x90 series) lovely nosie off the 5 or that one!

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

t5_monkey Sep 18th, 2011 09:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim760 (Post 987136)
allways loved the noise, but the 6 pot 24v whiteblock can sound simular to them. my isue with the 5 cyl was how tight to work on it was for me (this is not going to improve with the way of modern cars) and the fact that they were fitted to FWD or AWD cars only. :loser:

what it is, some people may just not apriciate that sound,and are more suited to the casual waftign of a 6 or a 4, an odd number may even sound popsterous!

heres a jazzed up I6 (960, x90 series) lovely nosie off the 5 or that one!

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Did I hear Blow off Valve on that 6 ????

Jim760 Sep 18th, 2011 10:11

correct tis a turbo'd 3.0 24v in the states, it can be heard ideling 1/4 of a mile away.

more sexy noise from it
+ YouTube Video

*shivvers* i think i came.

RUTV70 Sep 18th, 2011 11:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim760 (Post 987214)
correct tis a turbo'd 3.0 24v in the states, it can be heard ideling 1/4 of a mile away.

more sexy noise from it
+ YouTube Video

*shivvers* i think i came.

LOL...Not surprised.!!!......great sound.!
...and another vote FOR the 5 cylinder engine...has such a distinctive note..!

Neil

Daim Sep 18th, 2011 11:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by t5_monkey (Post 987058)
Try upgrading your hearing aid!

5 cylinders sound AMAZING!! audi Quattro rally car anyone ??

Don't think so. I've never liked the noise. Can't beat a 6 cylinder with the right settings nor a 4 cylinder with fuel economy... ;)

Btw.: Audi only built 5 cylinders in their older cars, because they couldn't fit a 6 cylinder and then invented the myth of a 5 cylinder having the power of a 6 but the economy of a 4 cylinder engine ;)

+ YouTube Video

That is my C30 with a 2.0l non turbo 4 cylinder... Exhaust is stock... Reved only to 2.500 rpm - no need for more...! I like that grunt more than...:

+ YouTube Video

Which is a T5... When on tick over, then that Duratec has a deep grunt...

I just really don't like the sound of a 5 cylinder. It has no "specialty" anymore and just has too much inside friction to be as economic as a modern 4 cylinder engine. Thrus, the sound can easily be edited... Ford even tried to remove the 5 cylinder sound in their Focus STs to make them sound more "Ford'y".

850Chris Sep 18th, 2011 18:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daim (Post 987269)
Don't think so. I've never liked the noise. Can't beat a 6 cylinder with the right settings nor a 4 cylinder with fuel economy... ;)

Btw.: Audi only built 5 cylinders in their older cars, because they couldn't fit a 6 cylinder and then invented the myth of a 5 cylinder having the power of a 6 but the economy of a 4 cylinder engine ;)

+ YouTube Video

That is my C30 with a 2.0l non turbo 4 cylinder... Exhaust is stock... Reved only to 2.500 rpm - no need for more...! I like that grunt more than...:

+ YouTube Video

Which is a T5... When on tick over, then that Duratec has a deep grunt...

I just really don't like the sound of a 5 cylinder. It has no "specialty" anymore and just has too much inside friction to be as economic as a modern 4 cylinder engine. Thrus, the sound can easily be edited... Ford even tried to remove the 5 cylinder sound in their Focus STs to make them sound more "Ford'y".

Sorry. Don't mean to upset you but I reckon my grass strimmer sounds more throaty than your 2.0l 4 cylinder ;) (this is all meant in good spirits by the way).

This is how a car should sound;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYqbMO_3zcE

Daim Sep 18th, 2011 18:56

No worry, I call my car's engine a lawn motor engine... So I can see the fun side ;)

But I seem to be the only one on the world, who doesn't like the sound of a 5 cylinder engine. I really just don't like it. Like some people don't like the noise of a big slow reving V8... And I think all cars shoud sound like this :D

+ YouTube Video

But everyone has their own taste and the saying goes:

"To each their own" :)

T240 Sep 18th, 2011 20:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daim (Post 987003)

Then I would venture that your mum's car is knackered!

As much as I love my 240, the fives are smoother any day (though the sixes are even more so), and the normally aspirated 2.5 20Vs' in particular have a wicked exhaust note, personally, I think better than the turbos - very reminiscent of a Cosworth BDA,

As for not having advantages, you're wrong there too: they save weight and size over a six, and give you more bang for your buck over an equivalent four.

The engines may have some inherent weaknesses, or bits of design that could have been done better; but there are very few engines that don't, and few that can take power increases the way the fives can - remember most of the guts of the 2.3 turbo are the same as the n/a 2.5 20v; and that very understressed motor gives 170bhp. In turbo form with basically just smaller diameter, lower compression pistons can go to 350 bhp with generally the same internals - and reliably, not noticeably compromising service life.

And if that's not a good motor overall, then bite me!

'Nuff said

Cheers,

T

Daim Sep 18th, 2011 20:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by T240 (Post 987538)
Then I would venture that your mum's car is knackered!

As much as I love my 240, the fives are smoother any day (though the sixes are even more so), and the normally aspirated 2.5 20Vs' in particular have a wicked exhaust note, personally, I think better than the turbos - very reminiscent of a Cosworth BDA,

As for not having advantages, you're wrong there too: they save weight and size over a six, and give you more bang for your buck over an equivalent four.

The engines may have some inherent weaknesses, or bits of design that could have been done better; but there are very few engines that don't, and few that can take power increases the way the fives can - remember most of the guts of the 2.3 turbo are the same as the n/a 2.5 20v; and that very understressed motor gives 170bhp. In turbo form with basically just smaller diameter, lower compression pistons can go to 350 bhp with generally the same internals - and reliably, not noticeably compromising service life.

And if that's not a good motor overall, then bite me!

'Nuff said

Cheers,

T

The car is everything else than knackered. With only 60k miles (past 100.000 km a few weeks ago) and top compression rates, it just seems to "rattle". To compare a redblock though (the roughest of rough 4 bangers) with modern 4 cylinder is - as the German would say (translated) - like comparing apples with pears.

About the mentioned advantages, no is saying anything against them, but to say it has the smoothness of a I6 (which no volvo I5 can have, as the crank has an uneven balance) and the economy of an I4 (like Audi claimed in their old 80ies/90ies/100ies/etc.) is just no right... Most modern 4 cylinders run so smooth, that you can't feel it (example my engine). Where as a brand new T5 will still have a little "rumble" when running.

I'm not saying it is a bad engine. If it was a bad construction, it would be long gone from Volvo's list of engines. And as it is now in it's 20th year (first 5 cylinders in mass-produced Volvos were made 1991) it can't be bad. But as downsizing is hitting all models from all makers, they (like the I6 engines!) are going to die out.

Look at Mercedes. The current S-Class is available for the first time ever, with a 4 cylinder diesel (2.1l with 204 hp). BMW will be following soon. The compact class (Golf, Focus, Astra) will soon be standard with 3 cylinder engines (VW is planning on bringing in the 1.2l 3 cylinder TSI as the base engine, Audi is already not far from doing so). Of course a certain "tradition" will be going a miss. The same happend 1998 as the last 940 Turbo left the bands in Gent/Gothenburg with a Redblock engine or the last 960 in 1991/1992 with the PRV V6. Ends of an era... But not of a marque. :)

noscralc Sep 18th, 2011 20:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daim (Post 987489)
No worry, I call my car's engine a lawn motor engine... So I can see the fun side ;)

But I seem to be the only one on the world, who doesn't like the sound of a 5 cylinder engine. I really just don't like it. Like some people don't like the noise of a big slow reving V8... And I think all cars shoud sound like this :D

+ YouTube Video

the v8 does it for me too! try a TVR or some of the yank tanks or even a triumph stag on song hmmmmm

RobbieH Sep 18th, 2011 21:02

Quote:

+ YouTube Video

Yeuck, that sounds like a bucket of scrap metal :shocked:

My D5 sounds smoother :laughing-smiley-018

Stefanfed Sep 18th, 2011 22:51

The only vibrations you get from a 5 cylinder are end to end of the crank, unlike a 4 cylinder which has alot more vibrations due to the pistons moving up are going at a different speed to the pistons moving down, this is vertical movement. A general rule is the more cylinders the smoother the engine. Sorry if that bored you lol

AcidicDavey Sep 18th, 2011 23:58

Quote:

+ YouTube Video

You completely contradict yourself here in this thread mate.
You state that you don't like the way 5s sound 'rough' or 'broken' yet you think all cars should sound like the stupidly unrefined engine configuration that is the V8!

Don't get me wrong though I love your car and what you've done with it but it's just a plain and weazy 4 which hardly makes a noise at all!
I like V8s and 6s(especially BMWs) etc.

But you can never and I mean NEVER bet the sound of a 5cyl in my opinion! Just that deep down roar when you set off and the total change in note when you get about halfway round the revs is just fantastic!

I've never heard of anyone ever who hasn't liked the sound of my V70, and to be honest I didn't think I ever would!
Well until now lol!

popuptoaster Sep 19th, 2011 10:41

i hate the sound a 5 pot engine makes, they sound busted to me (mind you so do those bloody subaru engines with the unequal length headers) theres nothing like a rumbly V8 or a high revving 4 pot, people always go on about the sound of the audi engine, but it was a really horrible car to drive with a peaky, tempremental engine when its was tuned.

Most turbo cars sound dodgy, the turbo ruins the engine note, nothing beats the sound of an old NA Ford BDA at 10,000rpm.

Daim Sep 19th, 2011 11:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by popuptoaster (Post 987870)
i hate the sound a 5 pot engine makes, they sound busted to me (mind you so do those bloody subaru engines with the unequal length headers) theres nothing like a rumbly V8 or a high revving 4 pot, people always go on about the sound of the audi engine, but it was a really horrible car to drive with a peaky, tempremental engine when its was tuned.

Most turbo cars sound dodgy, the turbo ruins the engine note, nothing beats the sound of an old NA Ford BDA at 10,000rpm.

I always thought I was alone and then you came. Thanks :)

V8 or high rever... Exactly my opinion! Thank you! :)

Daim Sep 19th, 2011 12:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by AcidicDavey (Post 987726)
You completely contradict yourself here in this thread mate.
You state that you don't like the way 5s sound 'rough' or 'broken' yet you think all cars should sound like the stupidly unrefined engine configuration that is the V8!

Don't get me wrong though I love your car and what you've done with it but it's just a plain and weazy 4 which hardly makes a noise at all!
I like V8s and 6s(especially BMWs) etc.

But you can never and I mean NEVER bet the sound of a 5cyl in my opinion! Just that deep down roar when you set off and the total change in note when you get about halfway round the revs is just fantastic!

I've never heard of anyone ever who hasn't liked the sound of my V70, and to be honest I didn't think I ever would!
Well until now lol!

A V8 'burbles' if goes 'Blub blub blub blub' with no kind of effort. It gas a very destinct exhaust note. Of course, if originated from the USA. Ever driven a 7.2l V8 automatic before? I wouldn't say so due to your answer ;)

fenton_jd Sep 19th, 2011 19:27

+ YouTube Video

!!!*(£&$*(£$£*($(£(!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!££*(£$£$£*$(! !!!! !!

mike norman Sep 19th, 2011 21:10

having driven the 850 T5 / V70 T5 & s60 T5 in anger they may not be as smooth as a six but they could move. It is sad that they are going sorry to them go

golly Sep 19th, 2011 21:21

I`ve got a V50 D4 5 cylinder it`s a great engine,also had a 5 cylinder turbo fiat coupe and that was a great too so it`s a sad day if Volvo stop making a 5 cylinder makes me wonder what my next car will be.

grainqey Sep 21st, 2011 18:19

audi have gone back to using 5 pot turbo engines in the TTRS and RS3? did volvo not basically buy the audi 5 pot to begin with hmm? ...so why couldnt they "buy" or develop the current 5 pot like audi probably did?
alex

Daim Sep 21st, 2011 20:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by grainqey (Post 989566)
audi have gone back to using 5 pot turbo engines in the TTRS and RS3? did volvo not basically buy the audi 5 pot to begin with hmm? ...so why couldnt they "buy" or develop the current 5 pot like audi probably did?
alex

The Volvo 5 cylinder is a Volvo developement based on the modular I6 found in the 960. The only Audi 5 cylinder is in the Tdi in the 850, V70, S70 and S80. Thrus the D20/D5 in the 240 for Italian buyers.

TheJoyOfSix Sep 21st, 2011 21:19

There was also an earlier D5 to be found in the 240 range (but not in the Uk) which was the venerable 2.0 5cyl version of the 6cyl D24/D24T/D24Tic VW engine used in the 240/740/760/940.

Daim Sep 21st, 2011 21:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheJoyOfSix (Post 989752)
There was also an earlier D5 to be found in the 240 range (but not in the Uk) which was the venerable 2.0 5cyl version of the 6cyl D24/D24T/D24Tic VW engine used in the 240/740/760/940.

Did I write different?

D20/D5 :) And omly 240. The 700 & 90 series only got the D24 - even in Luxury Tax Italy.

TheJoyOfSix Sep 21st, 2011 21:39

Yes, sorry, just clarifying what the D20/D5 was.

I believe it was also available in Finland for the Taxi market. It was badged as D5 although the engine code was D20. Likewise the 2.4 normally aspirated version in the 240 was badged D6. And as you say, the 240 didn't get the turbo, only the 740/early 760/940 got the turbo and the late760/early960 the intercooled turbo.

Palmer Sep 22nd, 2011 12:21

+ YouTube Video

I came.

Sounds so rough at idle but when hes on the loud pedal!!!!!

+ YouTube Video

Sex.

850Chris Sep 22nd, 2011 19:27

Hhmmmmm, not bad I suppose but this;

http://youtu.be/9DDPsey0JCk

or my earlier post are the sounds that do it for me. That 5 cylinder warble with the crisp raspy top end is just awesome.

Daim Sep 23rd, 2011 14:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by 850Chris (Post 990290)
Hhmmmmm, not bad I suppose but this;

http://youtu.be/9DDPsey0JCk

or my earlier post are the sounds that do it for me. That 5 cylinder warble with the crisp raspy top end is just awesome.

Which not everyone enjoys ;)

Some people like an engine, which doesn't sound present all the time...
Some people like an engine, which doesn't need a chav exhaust to sound "cool"
Some people like an engine, which has an even number of cylinders ;)

Opinions... Nothing else but opinions... Btw.: a 3 cylinder two stroke gets more attention from me, than a 5 cylinder does ;)

Palmer Sep 23rd, 2011 16:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daim (Post 990762)
Which not everyone enjoys ;)

Some people like an engine, which doesn't sound present all the time...
Some people like an engine, which doesn't need a chav exhaust to sound "cool"
Some people like an engine, which has an even number of cylinders ;)

Opinions... Nothing else but opinions... Btw.: a 3 cylinder two stroke gets more attention from me, than a 5 cylinder does ;)

I wouldnt quite call it a chav exhaust.

Its not a series of baked bean cans held together and supported by, rope.

Daim Sep 23rd, 2011 18:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Palmer (Post 990808)
I wouldnt quite call it a chav exhaust.

Its not a series of baked bean cans held together and supported by, rope.

I'm not calling the mentioned exhausts here chav exhausts ;) I mean those "fart cans" who fit an exhaust, just to make their 2.0l 5 cylinder with 10V (126 hp! WOW!) sound faster... And who then complain, that it is rumbling too loud ;)

Palmer Sep 23rd, 2011 19:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daim (Post 990868)
I'm not calling the mentioned exhausts here chav exhausts ;) I mean those "fart cans" who fit an exhaust, just to make their 2.0l 5 cylinder with 10V (126 hp! WOW!) sound faster... And who then complain, that it is rumbling too loud ;)

:thumbs_up:

davebslater(uk) Sep 25th, 2011 12:59

the only engine that is perfectly balance apart from gas torque reaction is the inline 6 .....
a redblock is far superior in terms of strength , the only thing a 5 cyl whiteblock going for it is the efficiency and sound .

im getting the same MPG as my 940 turbo , for 50 hp less tho.........in a 20v 2.5

Daim Sep 25th, 2011 16:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by davebslater(uk) (Post 991907)
the only engine that is perfectly balance apart from gas torque reaction is the inline 6 .....
a redblock is far superior in terms of strength , the only thing a 5 cyl whiteblock going for it is the efficiency and sound .

im getting the same MPG as my 940 turbo , for 50 hp less tho.........in a 20v 2.5

Yeah, the effiency myth...

That is what Audi used to say: I6 smoothness paired with I4 economy...

Biggest myth going. The economy isn't there. A T5 isn't as economical as a equal powered T4 (or so). A 2.0l 5 cylinder will still use more fuel than a 2.0l 4 cylinder -> more friction will always result in higher fuel costs...

davebslater(uk) Sep 25th, 2011 16:44

thats more to do with the car its in , rather than the engine itself , add 8 psi to a 2.3 whiteblock engine and it makes 220-240 hp , the same redblock wouldnt make the same power , but in everyday driving youll use less since the whiteblock isnt making the same torque , in a heavier car to boot .

GTMaster Sep 25th, 2011 19:15

A 2 stroke 3 cylinder was mentioned... :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaTHK9hz-kI

Pity Volvo won't be making 5 cylinder engines anymore, they were unique and not a widespread engine arrangement which made it special. And the tuning capabilities... :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ew6YwIN2IQc
I think this has a tuned 5 cylinder but i reckon the 850 fans have seen this video before :)

Daim Sep 25th, 2011 21:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTMaster (Post 992102)
A 2 stroke 3 cylinder was mentioned... :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaTHK9hz-kI

Pity Volvo won't be making 5 cylinder engines anymore, they were unique and not a widespread engine arrangement which made it special. And the tuning capabilities... :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ew6YwIN2IQc
I think this has a tuned 5 cylinder but i reckon the 850 fans have seen this video before :)

Fantastic! Wartung 3 cylinder (a former DKW 2 stroke)... Lovely sound! Especially from inside... And when fully balanced, up to 12-13.000 rpm :D