Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Opinions on C70 (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=302048)

david480 Jan 2nd, 2020 17:05

Opinions on C70

Possibility of getting this C70 at the weekend:

https://www.adverts.ie/car/volvo/c70...to-run/6759877

I've never had a C70 before and was wondering what they are like to run daily? This one has LPG so I'm hoping decent economy. It also has a recent MOT and seems mechanically well sorted.

I was wondering if the saffron colour will make it more or less desirable as the years roll on? Does the colour really stand out in the metal as it does in pictures ? (Have never seen it up close)

DaveNP Jan 2nd, 2020 18:31

Not had a C70, but on the basis that it shares most/a lot of its running gear with the V70 I'd expect it to be all right, although that one has the lpg and remap which would need to have been done properly.
Colourwise, I personally like the Saffron, don't know about the desirability in future but it was associated with the V70R which made it seem special to me.

ITSv40 Jan 2nd, 2020 19:43

Not sure if the car in the add is the very car you are possibly purchasing as when I open the link it shows the add has expired and listed four years ago.

Perhaps it is the same car, but an old add.

I've owned Volvos for 45 years, starting with a 145S and without doubt my C70 is the best and nicest model I have owned. Superbly put together and just has a quality feel about every aspect. The five pot growl is to die for. Whether coupe or convertible very capable cruisers and good ones are bomb proof.

The saffron colour was only produced on the '98? model - so quite rare and dates the car. Personally not my favourite choice but colour is very personal.

The car in the add has been extensively modified and not one I would be interested in - I prefer 'bog standard' factory spec. I would go for a 2.4 or T5 in standard spec, but again personal choice.

If the car appeals, go for it, C70's really are superb and very overlooked.

Dibble Jan 3rd, 2020 21:24

I have a 2003, T5 convertible, 126,000 miles. Brilliant car but don't know how it would compare with the coupe. Extremely comfortable front seats (not been in the back). I am led to believe that they were almost hand built in a different factory in Sweden from Gothenburg. Performance and sound of the T5 is superb and, according to the info it managed an easy 33mpg. The car is manual.
A bit of scuttle shuttle but I have just replaced the front springs and shocks and considerable improvement.
Absolutely delightful machine.

Pete940 Jan 3rd, 2020 22:32

I do enjoy my C70 coupe. The only point I'd raise is to frequently check over the LPG system. Considering that it has also been remapped, everything will need to be working perfectly or you'll have some expensive problems!

ITSv40 Jan 3rd, 2020 22:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dibble (Post 2585918)
I have a 2003, T5 convertible, 126,000 miles. Brilliant car but don't know how it would compare with the coupe. Extremely comfortable front seats (not been in the back). I am led to believe that they were almost hand built in a different factory in Sweden from Gothenburg. Performance and sound of the T5 is superb and, according to the info it managed an easy 33mpg. The car is manual.
A bit of scuttle shuttle but I have just replaced the front springs and shocks and considerable improvement.
Absolutely delightful machine.

Yes, all hand built in a dedicated purpose built factory at Uddevalla Sweden in partnership with Pinninfarina. When Ford took over Volvo they left C70 production alone, therefore the quality remained without Ford's cost cutting effects. The later Focus based Mk2 C70 was also built there.

Bashy Jan 4th, 2020 00:51

I had the T5 GT (auto) in the saffron gold colour, only thing i found was the handling a bit boaty, the Volvo OEM strut brace helped a little but i think my suspension was a bit tired. was a nippy car, my mates scooby couldnt leave me, i had to keep backing on on power, he wouldnt move over either. As for a p reg AMG 55, dont even bother entertaining lol :eek::rolleyes::cool:

happy diver Jan 4th, 2020 09:37

2.0L quite underpowered you'd wonder why they bothered installing gas

Don't buy cars from fiddlers, especially if they have installed K&N filters!

classicswede Jan 5th, 2020 17:07

The 2ltr is a turbo engine and does go plently well enough.

I think they are a very underated car and not undertand why they are so unpopular.