Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=201)
-   -   Potential new XC60 owner (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=295658)

candell Jun 12th, 2019 14:23

Potential new XC60 owner

Hi all

I have never owned a Volvo before but I am due a change and the XC60 or V60 has caught my eye. I'd be looking at new or nearly new, is there anything I should be aware of?

IIRC the XC60 has been around for a while now, is there a facelift planned in the near future?

Also, I couldn't see a relevant area to post similar questions about the V60, should I use > 11?

Thanks

Wizzpop Jun 12th, 2019 15:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by candell (Post 2528055)
Hi all

I have never owned a Volvo before but I am due a change and the XC60 or V60 has caught my eye. I'd be looking at new or nearly new, is there anything I should be aware of?

Also, I couldn't see a relevant area to post similar questions about the V60, should I use > 11?

Thanks

Depends whether you are considering a current (2019) V60 or the previous model. Here for the current version.
I'm very happy with mine. Comfortable, quiet and enough space for 5 if needed.
I went for the Momentum Pro T5 to keep under the £40k RRP

candell Jun 12th, 2019 15:45

Thanks for the reply, I currently have an A4 Avant 2016 but the new facelifts coming soon aren't doing it for me, hence the move.

I'm going to pop down to my local Volvo dealership on the weekend to take a look at the different versions they have, the website provides very little info on what you actually get with each.

I saw a review on youtube that the auto engine is rather laggy, have you found that? Although there are those on the Audi forums who complain about lag but mine doesn't have that problem and if I want more performance, just shift the gear in to S and it goes well. Does the V60 have anything similar?

Wizzpop Jun 12th, 2019 16:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by candell (Post 2528082)
I saw a review on youtube that the auto engine is rather laggy, have you found that? Although there are those on the Audi forums who complain about lag but mine doesn't have that problem and if I want more performance, just shift the gear in to S and it goes well. Does the V60 have anything similar?

I don't tend to drive like Lewis anymore! So I find the T5 and auto box quite sufficient. It is quick when you floor it. I guess there is a bit of lag as it drops a gear, but there would be with a manual shift.
Personally I wasn't keen on the previous V60.

candell Jun 12th, 2019 17:41

True, me either, it's more of a relaxed pace but I do like to tease the idiots in the wrong lanes trying to get the jump on you lol.

Are there any 'must buy' options? For me on my previous A4 I went for the virtual cockpit (Audi speak for digital dash), tech pack (keyless entry, wireless phone charging pad, bigger screen), Bose sound (standard sound was awful) but also wanted the fancy matrix headlights even though I hardly drive in the dark, even in winter :confused_smile:

MattDell Jun 12th, 2019 18:50

I think it comes down to the individual, but my must-haves were Xenium (for the sunroof) and Intellisafe Pro (for the Pilot Assist). I also went for the Winter Pack (for the heated steering wheel) and the Harman Kardon (for Apple Car Play and marginal extra cost for upgraded sound), but I could probably live without those.

techwatcher Jun 12th, 2019 19:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by candell (Post 2528122)

Are there any 'must buy' options?

For me it would be the 360 degree camera, which gives you a view as if from a drone above the car. It is really helpful when parking and manoeuvring in tight spaces.

Its better value when purchased as part of the Xenium Pack.

warwick Jun 12th, 2019 20:30

I have a D5 for towing and find it has more umph than the previous Merc GLC I had, very satisfied with it so far, like the Sensus Nav over Mercs Garmin and overall find the tech side easier to get the hang of.

jonnyu Jun 13th, 2019 11:01

I'm also an old Audi customer that moved to Volvo and I'm very happy with the move.
Audi is simply not reaching out to their current customers so most of them are moving away from the brand.

From my experience regarding both cars, the first thing you have to decide is weather you want a SUV or not.

1st advice:
If you want an SUV with drive feel of a sedan, then you have to go for the active dampers (Four-C). If you dont want to pay that price tag, stick with the V60 option.

2nd advice:
If you have the budget and the conditions to have your car charged at home, go for the T8. If not, there will be mild-hybrid options for both diesel and gasoline engines (B engines).

3rd advice:
Dont choose the Momentum trim. It's too standard for a Volvo. Decide between the R-Design or the Inscription. If you compare an Audi A4 or A6 to a momentum trim from Volvo, you will be disappointed.

4th advice:
If you choose a diesel engine and want similar sporty gearbox and acceleration performances as your current car, opt for the Polestar upgrade. It's worth it and it will get rid of the laggy acceleration issues.

5th advice:
The price of extra equipment in Volvo is much cheaper than Audi. Sometimes in a new car configuration with Audi, we tend not to include some options because they are very expensive. In Volvo that's not the case, so do review all the options available because their price is not high at all. For example, UK has the Pro option for every trim (Inscription VS Inscription Pro). If you look at it, it might be expensive but the extra equipment it comes with, it's worth the investment.

candell Jun 13th, 2019 13:10

Thank you again for the replies, some good information there.

I've not had a car with a sunroof since my old Rover 220, boy I loved that car. I guess speccing one would introduce lots of light in to the otherwise very dark interior I usually opt for.

It's interesting about the prices of the extras, they do indeed easy add up on an Audi so it'll be fun to see what is there to add on the Volvo.

Looking on the configurator, all of the models are Plus, not sure what that means.

I'm thinking that the R Design suspension may be a little stiff for me, I had to choose the Sport on my A4 over an S Line as the S Line gave me a stiff back as it really did feel every bump in the road.