Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   D5 woes (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=285444)

mav1508 Aug 19th, 2018 12:30

D5 woes

I'm in need of a little advice from the members.....
I have 54 plate v70 d5 163 euro 3 automatic 161k . Since picking it up on Monday I felt that it was down on power, something didn't feel quite right.. So it has really good history, all belts changed, there was nothing obvious when I bought it.. When driving normally around town or the motorway it seems fine, but as soon as you put your foot down it lacks the punch it should have and randomly throws up engine service required, but no eml...
And then it goes into limp mode..
I've scanned but no messages stored..
When I first got the car i scanned it and got the two code's in the picture, but they haven't returned..
I have checked the injectors today and if I unplug number 1 injector this has no effect on the engine at all.. All the others make the car run rough...
Could this alone cause limp mode..?
Many thanks

mav1508 Aug 19th, 2018 12:34

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 114935 the code's originally pulled from the car..

reggit Aug 19th, 2018 13:27

Don’t know if it relates to the codes, but check the rubber pipe on the inlet side of the turbo. They tend to get soft with age and collapse under acceleration, starving the engine of air. They eventually split and you’ll hear a turbo whistle when accelerating.

MarvinMitt Aug 19th, 2018 14:01

Yeah also when air filter is clogged it will start to collapse this uppermentioned tube and will kill the power.

mav1508 Aug 19th, 2018 14:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by reggit (Post 2438990)
Don’t know if it relates to the codes, but check the rubber pipe on the inlet side of the turbo. They tend to get soft with age and collapse under acceleration, starving the engine of air. They eventually split and you’ll hear a turbo whistle when accelerating.

The codes in picture haven't returned, I have cleaned the turbo control valve and the boost control valve as per Cheshired5 video,
The pipe closest to the turbo is a little spongy and i did think this could be collapsing under load..
How much flexibility is acceptable for this pipe?
Thanks

mav1508 Aug 19th, 2018 14:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarvinMitt (Post 2439003)
Yeah also when air filter is clogged it will start to collapse this uppermentioned tube and will kill the power.

Air filter is brand new all pipes seem pretty much in good condition...
I'm generally at a bit of a loss with this one...

MarvinMitt Aug 19th, 2018 15:16

The active P0244 code you have is Volvo ECM-6805 DTC which is very common faulty air flow code.

It has it's own sticky thread in this subforum:
https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=132443

So inspection of the vacuum system, VNT geometry movement, air pipes/cooler, MAF/MAP sensor has to be done.

S60D5-185 Aug 19th, 2018 15:18

I would start with a new fuel filter.

Clan Aug 19th, 2018 16:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by mav1508 (Post 2438970)
I'm in need of a little advice from the members.....
I have 54 plate v70 d5 163 euro 3 automatic 161k . Since picking it up on Monday I felt that it was down on power, something didn't feel quite right.. So it has really good history, all belts changed, there was nothing obvious when I bought it.. When driving normally around town or the motorway it seems fine, but as soon as you put your foot down it lacks the punch it should have and randomly throws up engine service required, but no eml...
And then it goes into limp mode..
I've scanned but no messages stored..
When I first got the car i scanned it and got the two code's in the picture, but they haven't returned..
I have checked the injectors today and if I unplug number 1 injector this has no effect on the engine at all.. All the others make the car run rough...
Could this alone cause limp mode..?
Many thanks

you will need a vacuum gauge , check how much vacuum there is going to the turbo control valve , you can take a reading at one of the engine pad vacuum pipes on the control vale on the side of the air filter .. the reading should be well over 25 hg when idling .

mav1508 Aug 19th, 2018 16:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by S60D5-185 (Post 2439031)
I would start with a new fuel filter.

Getting one tomorrow..... Hopefully a cheap fix...