Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   New Toy - 1998 V70R (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=322937)

CosmicBike Jan 20th, 2022 08:27

New Toy - 1998 V70R

Always fancied an R ever since my first Volvo, a 1998 V70 2.5 over 20 years ago. Picked up a Nautic Blue FWD auto just before Christmas, not without it's issues, but a solid honest car with lots of history. What is missing is any cambelt history beyond 50k, so that's in the post, along with the aux belt etc. Currently in bits on the drive as I replace the PCV, it had the original fitted so I reckon at 137k it's overdue, the one I've removed is very blocked along with the PTC valve, so all getting a good scrub.
Whilst that's all out the old, perishing vacuum hoses are being replaced with Samco silicone throughout, and the ABS module I pulled yesterday and did the usual fix as the speedometer was intermittent and I've had some ABS/TRACS codes (no lights though, even on telltale so I suspect lamps removed...).
Big pile of bits in the garage for a decent service, maybe one day I'll get to drive her, but for now the '93 240 continues to do me proud as a daily.

Fazat Jan 21st, 2022 13:39

ooh nice. I really like the metallic Blue colour of that V70Rs.

Get some pictures up please, even if it is in bits:D

Rich850R Jan 22nd, 2022 06:42

Hope you’ve caught the PCV in time. That’s a long long time to be on the original

RollingThunder Jan 22nd, 2022 08:57

The V70R is quite a smooth, punchy car, you'll enjoy it. Sounds like you're doing all the stage 0 work first, which I commend. Its a very wise move IMHO. I hope the rear main seal is ok - check for oil leaks and if you do find any, try and trace them to source - they may be just cam seal leaks, but you might be unlucky if the PCV is that badly blocked.

As mentioned ^^^, lets see some pics :)

NB I had a V70R in nautic blue, which I bought from Seb many years ago - but I don't think your car will be my old one as I sold it to a guy in Germany :D

CosmicBike Jan 22nd, 2022 20:03

1 Attachment(s)
Hopefully pic attached.

I hope I caught the PCV, I completed the replacement yesterday. There was a very faint puffing from the dipstick. There was a good coating of oil down the back of the block when I bought it, and I spent quite some time cleaning that so I can pin down likely sources when I start driving it. There was evidence of oil leaking from the filler cap, under the sparkplug cover and running down the block. The filler cap seal was rigid and snapped away, so new one fitted. The PTC was completely blocked, now its pristine. Once started no more puffing from dipstick, so we'll see.
Cambelt kit arrived today, if I get time I'll fit tomorrow, and then I'm happy to drive it. Then decision time, keep the 240 or not.....

RollingThunder Jan 23rd, 2022 09:50

1 Attachment(s)
Looks like a good starting point. This is my old blue V70R at a classic car show - we just went to visit but we were directed into the display area :D

Luxobarge Jan 23rd, 2022 10:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by RollingThunder (Post 2801938)
we just went to visit but we were directed into the display area :D

Quite right too. Sweet!

CosmicBike Jan 23rd, 2022 12:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by RollingThunder (Post 2801938)
Looks like a good starting point. This is my old blue V70R at a classic car show - we just went to visit but we were directed into the display area :D

Very nice. In time perhaps for mine....

CosmicBike Jan 23rd, 2022 16:21

Interesting day spent largely under the bonnet. Cambelt, tensioner etc all replaced, along with the aux belt. Somewhere between the Volvo service with cambelt at 50k it's had another belt done since the one removed was a Gates effort, which I presume Volvo wouldn't fit. A first for me doing a twin cam, I'm used to SOHC engines like the Ford Pinto in my Capri or the B200 in my 240, so a little more care taken.
A short run out to warm things through then oil and filter change. Whoever last serviced it used a trained gorilla to tighten up the oil filter, had to resort to the big screwdriver hammered through it technique, never like to do that but so long as you stay at the bottom of the filter you stay clear of the mounting threads, messy though. Shell Helix 10/40 has gone in, the last service indicated 0/30 which is a bit too thin on a high mileage engine.
That's the basics done, plugs etc can wait as they all look OK and were done last year, now she just needs a good clean and a bit of TLC from the dent man to smooth out a couple of car park dings. And some decent tyres that are the right size.

amazondean Jan 24th, 2022 06:38

"Somewhere between the Volvo service with cambelt at 50k it's had another belt done since the one removed was a Gates effort, which I presume Volvo wouldn't fit."

I think a Gates cam belt kit is a decent replacement part. They have a good reputation.