Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   Washer system leak - fixed (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=326903)

RogerTo Aug 3rd, 2022 19:24

Washer system leak - fixed

Thought I’d share…
Washer bottle draining as soon as filled. Folded back the wheel arch liner but all seemed good there with the pump and hose.

Had a think, and not wanting to remove the bumper (done that before!), I took off the fog light cover, and there was the leak. Hose split where it feeds the headlight washer. Removed fog light for access, removed blue plastic clip holding nozzle that the hose fits on.

Cut off the split end of hose. Slid on a length of heat shrink tubing for final security. Heated up (in a cup of water) some aquarium tubing that I had left over from my VW T25 washer renewal, and bridged the nozzle and the end of the hose. Slid over the heat shrink (some of the tubing near the join looks a bit fragile!), and refitted the nozzle and blue clip. Well pleased! 90 mins in total.

Pidgeonpost Aug 3rd, 2022 22:29

Now that's a coincidence - I'm just going through the same business on our V70 and posted elsewhere on the forum. I too have checked out the wheel arch area and was lined up for taking the bumper cover off tomorrow. I may still do so, but if it can be fixed without disturbing too many fragile 15 year old fasteners I'm up for that. Wonder if it's the same layout on V/XC models.

RogerTo Aug 4th, 2022 08:21

Worth a try. Instructions for popping off the fog lamp cover in owners manual under bulb replacement

Pidgeonpost Aug 4th, 2022 14:14

Thanks. Looked it up in the book and the cover can be removed by 'pressing in the clips and pulling straight out'. The gap between the grill and the bumper cover is virtually zero, but I managed to get a couple of trim removal tools in there. I worked my way along L to R and slowly the grill came away. Clearly someone had been in there before as at least one clip was broken, and I managed to break another, sod it.
I took the fog light out, put a pint or two of water in the bottle, and sure enough it began running out. I had look with a torch, but no sign of where the leak is.
I'm afraid I gave up at this point and booked it in with my indie. I'd have been tempted to go for the bumper off experience, but I need the car available, and I don't have any more spare time at present. I hate giving up but there comes a point...

RogerTo Aug 6th, 2022 12:05

That’s a shame. At least you have a good indie

Pidgeonpost Aug 6th, 2022 13:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by RogerTo (Post 2838310)
That’s a shame. At least you have a good indie

Thanks - they're new to me, as is Volvo, so I'm hoping to build a relationship based on routine servicing rather than frequent repairs. :regular_smile::regular_smile: