Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   700/900 Series Wants (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=177)
-   -   intermittent missing. (E10?) (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=326953)

volvulus Aug 6th, 2022 10:51

intermittent missing. (E10?)

Hi all,

My 1991 940 2ltr non turbo estate has started missing again, I rebuilt the top end after the timing belt failure and put new Bosch leads on.

Engine ran perfectly for about 600 miles. (belt re tensioned at 550ish)

It's started missing again, as this occurred since using the E10 petrol, I wondered if anybody has had problems with it.

E10 petrol is supposed to be compatible with our engines.

Coincidence with fuel change or my plugs or new bosch leads already gone west?

Water in the tank (E10) ???

Thought I'd ask before changing components.

I had a go at the earth leads last week but made no improvement.

Thanks in advance Ken

360beast Aug 6th, 2022 11:21

One easy way to find out is to fill up with E5 and see what happens, I recommend Esso as if you check their website they say most of the country gets ethanol free 99 octane fuel, Tesco use Esso fuel but I'm not sure off the 99 at Tesco is ethanol free.

volvulus Aug 6th, 2022 11:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by 360beast (Post 2838303)
One easy way to find out is to fill up with E5 and see what happens, I recommend Esso as if you check their website they say most of the country gets ethanol free 99 octane fuel, Tesco use Esso fuel but I'm not sure off the 99 at Tesco is ethanol free.

Thanks, Surprised I got a reply.... I posted it in the wanted section. Duh!

How do I put it in the general or where it's best suited? Can I do that or is it an admin task?

I will try the E5 when this tank is empty but if the E10 induces water in the tank the problem will still be there.

I generally use ESSO.

Ken.

940volvoman Aug 6th, 2022 13:27

Water in the petrol tank???

volvulus Aug 7th, 2022 09:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by 940volvoman (Post 2838327)
Water in the petrol tank???

Hello volvoman,

Are you agreeing that water in the tank is the reason. I'm not sure what your reply means, sorry.

I wish I knew how to put this post in the general section.

I've ordered another set of spark plugs, if that doesn't fix it I'll see about removing the tank drain plug to look for water.

Is E10 compatible the red block engines?

Ken

360beast Aug 7th, 2022 15:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by volvulus (Post 2838459)
Hello volvoman,

Are you agreeing that water in the tank is the reason. I'm not sure what your reply means, sorry.

I wish I knew how to put this post in the general section.

I've ordered another set of spark plugs, if that doesn't fix it I'll see about removing the tank drain plug to look for water.

Is E10 compatible the red block engines?

Ken

E10 is meant to be compatible but we are seeing a few posts about issues running on it, mine runs on it but I can tell it is much happier on 99 octane, yes water in the tank can also cause this issue. Dave (Laird Scooby) will be along shortly I'm sure to tell you what ratio of meths etc to use in the tank to clear it out if you don't fancy losing your fuel for it to potentially not be the fault.

volvulus Aug 7th, 2022 15:34

Thank you, that’s helpful.
Dave warned me when I bought the Bosch leads they don’t last like the proper jobs.
It needs an aircraft style poppet valve under the tank where a nozzle on a bottle is pushed in the valve. Water drains test. Done in a daily inspection. Maybe all cars will have it eventually.
Wishful thinking. Stupid boy pike.
Ken

940volvoman Aug 7th, 2022 16:28

360 beast

No, I wasn't agreeing that water in the fuel tank might be the problem, but I cant imagine it would do any good.

Sorry for the misunderstanding I may have caused,Im gobsmacked that there may be water in the fuel,hence the "water in the fuel lines?" surprise

Shaun

360beast Aug 8th, 2022 05:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by 940volvoman (Post 2838535)
360 beast

No, I wasn't agreeing that water in the fuel tank might be the problem, but I cant imagine it would do any good.

Sorry for the misunderstanding I may have caused,Im gobsmacked that there may be water in the fuel,hence the "water in the fuel lines?" surprise

Shaun

Ethanol attracts water to it so yes there can be water in the tank caused by the extra ethanol content and it could cause a misfire.

That's why you can actually remove the ethanol from petrol by using water!

Othen Aug 8th, 2022 07:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by volvulus (Post 2838518)
Thank you, that’s helpful.
Dave warned me when I bought the Bosch leads they don’t last like the proper jobs.
It needs an aircraft style poppet valve under the tank where a nozzle on a bottle is pushed in the valve. Water drains test. Done in a daily inspection. Maybe all cars will have it eventually.
Wishful thinking. Stupid boy pike.
Ken

I think water in the tank attracted by ethanol will be a red herring Ken. The partial pressure of even 70% saturated air (at ground level) is only 1.6 kPa - so about 1.6% by mass. Unless you have been storing your gas in an open topped vat in the tropics the ethanol cannot have attracted many water molecules. If (like me) you store your petrol in the enclosed fuel tank of your motor car with the cap closed the opportunity to absorb water molecules across the surface membrane will be negligible.

I don't know about aircraft practice, but I suspect the risk of water contamination of fuel is greater because the machine will be working at lower air pressures and colder temperatures, and so there will be a greater chance of water molecules in the void above the fuel condensing.

I suspect the problem will lie elsewhere.

Good fortune,

Alan