Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   General Volvo and Motoring Discussions (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Decent Spanners (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=85663)

OldBlueVolvo Dec 11th, 2009 18:31

Decent Spanners

Here's a question for you. Is it possible to buy metric spanners with close tolerances? I've recently removed some brass components from my car but couldn't find suitable spanners. I have now measured these components with a micrometer and found that I was actually using the correct size spanners even though they were a little bit loose. Of course, using a loose-fitting chrome vanadium spanner on brass causes damage to the brass. One of the components measured as 11.00mm and the other as 19.00mm (cold), so they are precision made components. My 19mm spanner is about 19.3mm, measured with vernier calipers. I have a similar problem with sockets.

William

keithyboy Dec 11th, 2009 19:03

I've got various different msakes of spanner from cheapies to dearies and suspect that there is a degree of tolerance in the manufacture of them. Halfords kit is pretty good. Why not take your caliper down there and have a measure?

kenny Dec 11th, 2009 19:33

i bought a full set of snap-on spanners years ago when i was working full time on the tools and they have been great, never slipped broken or damaged a nut or bolt unless they were really rusty.
they were very expencive at the time but well worth it.
leave your number with your local garage and the sales rep will contact you.
mac tools are just as good some would say better.

Oilydad Dec 11th, 2009 19:36

Best Spanners

I've got a very large selection of tools built up over the last 40+ years. Some are good ones I've picked up at Car Boots and Re-cycling centres, some I've paid good money for. I've probably got over 300 spanners alone in all shapes and sizes, rings, open ended, obstruction, ratchet, angled, curved, splined, you name it. Never buy cheap (bargain shop type rubbish) tools though. Not worth the money.

For brass components, I nearly always use a set of Draper Mini spanners that come in a set of 10. Haven't seen them around recently, but they are very very good, and I've used them absolutely loads of times.

One way to get round your problem is to use an older slightly smaller than you need open ended spanner, and gently grind or file the jaws, to get an exact fit. I've had to do this on a couple of occasions. It's not ideal but can prevent damage to brass or other soft metal components which, generally, won't need a lot of force to remove. With care you can get an exact fit.

The question really is.........how often are you going to use/need such tools, and are they worth the outlay? Are they just for a one off job, or for a job that you will do quite frequently?

That's a question that only you can answer.

OldBlueVolvo Dec 11th, 2009 20:15

Thanks for the good replies chaps. Most of my spanners are the expensive chrome vanadium ones from halfords and they seem to be good for most things. But, some of the engine & fuel system components get rounded off using these spanners. I'll do as keithyboy suggested and measure the spanners before buying. Also, I'll shop around. I'm sure I'll find some good spanners if I look hard enough but I bet they'll be very expensive. I have just thought: I have a second-hand tool shop near me in Worthing so I might give them a try first - I've never been in there before. If they have what I need they're bound to be cheaper than buying new tools.

Cheers,
William

tigtog Dec 12th, 2009 00:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldBlueVolvo (Post 597276)
Thanks for the good replies chaps. Most of my spanners are the expensive chrome vanadium ones from halfords and they seem to be good for most things. But, some of the engine & fuel system components get rounded off using these spanners. I'll do as keithyboy suggested and measure the spanners before buying. Also, I'll shop around. I'm sure I'll find some good spanners if I look hard enough but I bet they'll be very expensive. I have just thought: I have a second-hand tool shop near me in Worthing so I might give them a try first - I've never been in there before. If they have what I need they're bound to be cheaper than buying new tools.

Cheers,
William

try ebay for snap on stuff some goes nice and cheap

Hinckley Dec 12th, 2009 11:01

I have a Stahlwille 19mm spanner that measures 19.15mm and my Stahlwille 1/2"d socket measures 19.12mm both have had a fair ammount of use, if the nut is exactly 19mm you could try wrapping masking tape or similar around it - the masking tape I have measures 0.15mm thick. I have in the past taken up a small gap because I didn't have the correct spanner by using a feeler gauge between the nut and the spanner.

Cheers,
Pip

Trekker Dec 12th, 2009 11:44

snapon, britool both very good.

James_N Dec 12th, 2009 13:26

Just bought one of these:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...egoryId_165572

Very good for the money, and lifetime guarantee too :)

OldBlueVolvo Dec 12th, 2009 13:38

I like your idea Pip - thinking 'outside the box'. If I can't find suitable spanners I might just wrap some electrical tape or masking tape (whatever fits) around the part. The issue here is not the strength or 'quality' of the spanners/sockets but how snug the fit is. I'll still have a look for some better spanners first, but after Christmas when things might be a little cheaper.

William