Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=187)
-   -   xc60 oil level check (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=202576)

rogspen Apr 3rd, 2014 19:43

xc60 oil level check

just bought a 2010 xc60 how do I check the oil level it is the one with no dipstick thanks rog

Mytholmroyd60 Apr 5th, 2014 17:27

You could check the manual! This will tell you the following:

1) get in the car, insert the key
2) without pressing the brake (or clutch in a manual) press "start" (the engine won't start)
3) cycle through the info using the left hand roll switch
4) you'll get to the oil level dipstick.

Hth

Westyman Apr 5th, 2014 21:14

Or, if you want grazed knuckles and scratches in your arm, there is a real dipstick hidden away down the front……..

wimorrison Apr 5th, 2014 21:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mytholmroyd60 (Post 1619321)
You could check the manual! This will tell you the following:

1) get in the car, insert the key
2) without pressing the brake (or clutch in a manual) press "start" (the engine won't start)
3) cycle through the info using the left hand roll switch
4) you'll get to the oil level dipstick.

Hth

I suggest that we assume people HAVE checked the manual and found it deficient which is why they ask the question here.

In the case of the 2010 manual there was an addendum page explaining how the
Oil Level should be read as the manual was wrong in several of the English prints and it was not as clear as you succinct message.

Mytholmroyd60 Apr 6th, 2014 19:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by wimorrison (Post 1619553)
I suggest that we assume people HAVE checked the manual and found it deficient which is why they ask the question here.

In the case of the 2010 manual there was an addendum page explaining how the
Oil Level should be read as the manual was wrong in several of the English prints and it was not as clear as you succinct message.

Then the op has my apologies to go with my explanation!

DerekJJ May 17th, 2014 17:36

I have an XC60 SE Lux Nav D4 Geartronic, FWD April 2014, model year 14.5. The electronic oil level reading is always greyed out and I cannot find a normal dipstick. I have read the manual, any ideas or is it an item for the 3 month check?

Flux May 17th, 2014 18:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mytholmroyd60 (Post 1619321)
You could check the manual! This will tell you the following: 1) get in the car, insert the key 2) without pressing the brake (or clutch in a manual) press "start" (the engine won't start) 3) cycle through the info using the left hand roll switch 4) you'll get to the oil level dipstick.Hth

Thanks for that explanation. I hadn't got a clue how to take an oil level reading as it is always greyed out and wondered what was going on. Tried as you suggested although you have to keep start button pressed until all the warning lights come on first and then you can do it.

Hopefully will help some others who might have been wondering........ .

DerekJJ May 17th, 2014 22:46

Thank you, I shall try again tomorrow.

DerekJJ May 18th, 2014 07:58

Flux,

Thank you for that, it worked perfectly! Why can't the handbook say 'hold the start/stop button down until the warning lights appear'?

Derek

Flux May 18th, 2014 15:32

Seem to be quite a few things Volvo omit from their literature or just forget to add!

Because I couldn't get a reading I had assumed all was well - clearly not the case as it would have remained greyed out util I followed the correct procedure..