Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   140/164 Series General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   finally own a 164 TE (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=99584)

garth elder Jul 6th, 2010 11:26

finally own a 164 TE

picking her up this weekend previous owner bought it 20 years ago and stored it with ideas of using it to tow his 242 race car the project was never started and the car sat until i enquired after it the price he asked for it was very reasonable in fact i suspect a new tyre for it will cost me more will be extracting it from its hed this weekend and photos will be taken as the project happens. its a 1974TE model code 115 paint. metallic blue/green

john h Jul 6th, 2010 19:05

Mmm, excellent. Another blue/green 164!

Sounds like you got a good deal. I'm looking forward to seeing the photos!!

John

lyron Jul 6th, 2010 19:21

nice one, looking forward to seeing photos

Audrey Old Jul 6th, 2010 21:30

Welcome to our Forums - beat you this time, johnh!

I love the blue/green all British 164TE's were - it was the colour that attracted me to mine, although I currently drive an insipid pale blue 164E. One day my TE will be on the road again....

When mine was last on the road (about 3 years ago) it was reputed to be the only one currently legal. However last year we met a guy whilst on the VOC stand at the Beaulieu spring autojumble who has two (I think he said!), and of course there's Marks immaculate one that was at the NEC last December, so they are almost common now..... (joking of course!).

Perhaps we ought to do a survey of the number of known 142s now: I have a blue '68 one and had a yellow one that has moved twice since me but I know its current owner. Any more over here?

Paul

john h Jul 6th, 2010 21:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Audrey Old (Post 700641)
Welcome to our Forums - beat you this time, johnh!

Look above, Paul...

J

Mike B Jul 7th, 2010 09:01

Te

Quote:

Originally Posted by lyron (Post 700540)
nice one, looking forward to seeing photos

Good one !!
Regards
Mike B

garth elder Jul 9th, 2010 08:39

attempt 6

5 Attachment(s)
this uploadings posing a problem getting heaps of pop ups and strange behaviour from the site hope youve got strong stomachs a 20 year shed stored car isnt a pretty sight having said that the motor runs very nicely

garth elder Jul 9th, 2010 13:16

did find interesting bits underneath it though

1 Attachment(s)
someones cared for it in the past judging by the new parts underneath it

Steve and his 244 Jul 9th, 2010 16:04

Thats an anti roll bar! They didnt come with an anti-roll bar IIRC, so someone has definitely been enthusiastic about it!

john h Jul 9th, 2010 16:32

Fascinating, and very nice!

The 74/75 164 has 240 rear suspension, so a rear ARB might have been standard, but that looks to be an aftermarket item anyway. And it looks like uprated springs, unless someone's been busy with the yellow paint.

If it has a larger than standard front anti-roll bar fitted (quite likely, I would say, given other mods), then you already have the single most beneficial and important upgrade that a 164 can get.

Automatic, I presume?

And it's not Swedish. The RHD wiper pattern means it is a Australian or South African built car; probably the former judging by the number plate. Very interesting!

If you're lucky, and the shed wasn't too damp, you may find it still has good hot-climate bodywork that's never seen salt. The indications seem good from these photos (e.g. the seam below the left rear light looks good, and foglamp reflectors are not rusty).

Do you know any more about its history? I'm looking forward to seeing more of this. In fact, I might have to drive up and see it in the flesh (if you don't mind!)

John