Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   XC90 '02–'15 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Have they put the correct oil in? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=282952)

Forest Simon Jun 14th, 2018 12:49

Have they put the correct oil in?

Hi, just had the car serviced, my2010 d5 xc90 and I have been told they used castrol gtx professional 5w-30 semi synthetic. Is this the correct oil? Cheers, Simon.

4x4 Jun 14th, 2018 13:15

Volvo recommend 0W-30 A5/B5 spec and it looks like you have A1/B1 spec so the wrong oil

Tannaton Jun 14th, 2018 13:52

Any semi-synth is the wrong oil.

Semi-synth is usually a mineral base with synthetic additives.

AndyV7o Jun 14th, 2018 14:18

Double check what they have put in, you dont generally get 5w30 in a semi, it could be they have written it down wrong.
Theres a slim possibility, very unlikely however, that the tech is being pedantic, many current synthetics could not have been called synthetic 20 years ago as they start life as mineral oil, not molecularly constructed from scratch, rather the mineral oil is stripped back to its purest most uniform arrangement then 'put back together' using the resultant 'new' highly uniform relatively pure base oil combined with an appropriate additive pack and some polymers. As such it is now considered to be engineered enough at a molecular level to be classed as synthetic, though it would originally be considered only semi due to its mineral origins.

Forest Simon Jun 14th, 2018 14:23

Thanks for the replies, a bit worrying as it was done by a local recommended (by forum members) indie. Guess a phone call is in order.

jtaw45 Jun 14th, 2018 15:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndyV7o (Post 2414200)
Double check what they have put in, you dont generally get 5w30 in a semi, it could be they have written it down wrong.
Theres a slim possibility, very unlikely however, that the tech is being pedantic, many current synthetics could not have been called synthetic 20 years ago as they start life as mineral oil, not molecularly constructed from scratch, rather the mineral oil is stripped back to its purest most uniform arrangement then 'put back together' using the resultant 'new' highly uniform relatively pure base oil combined with an appropriate additive pack and some polymers. As such it is now considered to be engineered enough at a molecular level to be classed as synthetic, though it would originally be considered only semi due to its mineral origins.

5w30 semi synthetic is my best selling oil in my small motor factors, it's hugely popular.

AndyV7o Jun 14th, 2018 16:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtaw45 (Post 2414221)
5w30 semi synthetic is my best selling oil in my small motor factors, it's hugely popular.

Jeezus... I dread to think whats going through peoples minds... So very very few vehicles on the road use semi synthetic these days, so obviously a lot of folk are downgrading!
Not calling you btw, you're just selling the stuff! (Though maybe better advice to customers might not go amiss)

volvoid Jun 14th, 2018 17:03

cost saving.
Prob ok for cars that get frequent oil changes. Not ok for the 20,000+ users who never lift the bonnet and cant understand why its broken down.

5w30 ford, vaux spec oils are cheap, fully synth, why use anything less ?

AndyV7o Jun 14th, 2018 17:20

So long as the Ford spec is only used in vehicles requiring A5/B5(A1/B1)!
Dexos2 spec would amply protect almost everything between 2004 and 2011 tbf (though correct specs are a wiser choice)

Tannaton Jun 15th, 2018 12:16

The issue with Semi Synth is mainly in Turbocharged engines where the oil is exposed to much higher temperatures. The mineral base is prone to "cooking" and leaving deposits that restrict or block oilways which can kill turbo's and top ends.

Petrol cars run at higher temperatures but the turbo's are usually water cooled. On diesel turbos most rely only on oil cooling for the bearings so the slippery stuff doesn't necessarily get an easier life.

Semi Synth is fine in most non-turbo engines.