Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=187)
-   -   D4 VEA 'check engine' light / EGR fault thread (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=221555)

craigv60 Jan 12th, 2015 10:44

D4 VEA 'check engine' light / EGR fault thread

I thought it might be useful to have a single thread for those that have had the 'check engine' light pop up on their D4 VEA-engined car because of EGR valve problems.

Please post roughly how old the car was from new, and how many miles it had done when the light popped up.

For me: V60 D4 manual, 'check engine' light came on after 5 and a half months and about 6,000 miles from new. Going into the supplying main dealer this week to have a new EGR valve and EGR cooler fitted, which the dealer tells me is the recommended fix.

Harvey1512 Jan 12th, 2015 12:41

XC60 D4 Manual. 5 1/2 months old, 7,500 miles from new. Booked in for standard change, as described, on 28th Jan.

The good news is the dealers are not blanking this. They know the issue, I think they are expecting this to become a full recall.

Arianne Jan 12th, 2015 19:19

Can't remember exactly when but about 3-4mths into ownership and with perhaps 5-6k on the clock. Dealer reset it on first attempt and then replaced it completely at the second visit (within days).

spaceman2844 Jan 12th, 2015 21:56

XC60 D4 FWD Geartronic: Engine warning light came on at approx 7500 miles, 9 months old. EGR replaced by dealer. No problems since.

craigv60 Jan 13th, 2015 11:39

Just had a call from my dealer telling me not to bring my car in on Friday - it seems Volvo HQ is advising them not to fit the new EGR valves they have been shipping, but to wait for a newer revised valve which will be shipping soon. Apparently the EGR cooler is fine, but the valve is being updated again.

If your car is booked in for this work, probably worth contacting your dealer.

volvorocks Jan 13th, 2015 12:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by craigv60 (Post 1825636)
Just had a call from my dealer telling me not to bring my car in on Friday - it seems Volvo HQ is advising them not to fit the new EGR valves they have been shipping, but to wait for a newer revised valve which will be shipping soon. Apparently the EGR cooler is fine, but the valve is being updated again.

Do you know if the 'new revised' valve will be fitted at the factory to new build cars customers are waiting for to be delivered, or will cars on order be shipped with the current faulty one?

Regards

craigv60 Jan 13th, 2015 12:47

@Volvorocks - no idea, I'm afraid.

As far as I can work out (and this is just my opinion), this EGR problem isn't a full factory recall as yet: Volvo is just gearing up its dealers to replace the components under warranty if the customers' cars get a 'check engine' light.

I do not know if they plan to fit the new components when the cars are in for routine servicing, even if the owners don't report a problem, or what they will do about new cars being built or at dealerships ...

RoyMacDonald Jan 14th, 2015 00:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by volvorocks (Post 1825669)
Do you know if the 'new revised' valve will be fitted at the factory to new build cars customers are waiting for to be delivered, or will cars on order be shipped with the current faulty one?

Regards

Normally revised parts are fitted as soon as parts are available. There will be a "from chassis no." at some point. Dealer can probably tell you.

volvorocks Jan 14th, 2015 01:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoyMacDonald (Post 1826334)
Dealer can probably tell you.

I lack faith in dealers. One suggested that the V60 Polestar was naturally aspirated - and had to go and check when I queried it!!

Regards

RoyMacDonald Jan 14th, 2015 19:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by volvorocks (Post 1826378)
I lack faith in dealers. One suggested that the V60 Polestar was naturally aspirated - and had to go and check when I queried it!!

Regards

Goodness!! I don't think Volvo have used any naturally aspirated engines for years and years. Find a better dealer. Clan might know when Volvo release the info.