Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S40 / V40 '96-'04 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   S40 V40 Cars: Cooling system problem (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=299086)

dtm Oct 1st, 2019 19:27

Cooling system problem

Hello all,

I have a problem! It seems my cooling system is no recirculating the liquid.

Last Friday (2019-09-27) the radiator in my 2000 T4 broke.

I replaced the radiator last Monday (2019-09-30) and today proceeded to go about my business, only to find out the car was over heating.

When I replaced the radiator I thought I had removed all the air in the system, and apparently I did. It was overheating and it was not being able to cool down.

After a few minutes I realised the car was not sending hot air through the vents.

I tcheked to see if there was a blockage inside the heater core but no, there was none.

Just in case, I bypassed the heater core , and there was no change, the car is still overheating and not able to get the temperature down. It starts climbing and I eventually have the turn the engine off.

After this a proceeded to testing the thermostat, and it opens, but just in case I removed it.

Has expected, the car took longer to get up to temperature, and after the fan kicked in, the temperature kept raising, although it was hovering at around 101ēc longer then before, but it might have been ambient temperature related.

I tcheked for air and I pretty sure there is none.

The lower radiator hose is cold witch could make sense if the cooling circuit is from the upper radiator hose to the lower one, although with temperatures above 100ēc I would assume the hose would be hot, although less hot then the upper one.

Do any of you have any ideas??
I'm puzzled and don´t now what else to do.
It is has if the circuit is not circulating.

Help please

emtor Oct 2nd, 2019 19:09

Try massaging the coolant hoses. -Do they get warm?

dtm Oct 2nd, 2019 22:03

Tried it already. the top one gets very hot, the bottom one does not.

I have tried flip the radiator upside down, but the result was the same, no coolant circulation.

The water pump flows normally (I would assume) because when I rev the engine there is a surge of coolant escaping from the expansion tank.

I since have also tried an old radiator from a V70, and with that one there was circulation, so I am deeming the radiator faulty.

I'm calling the parts store tomorrow and asking for a replacement radiator.

Will post an update after installing it.

Cheers,

gatos Oct 3rd, 2019 10:07

From the sounds of it. it seems that the radiator may have a faut. Have you tried removing it and using a hose to pump water in one end and see how fast or how easy it comes out the other way?

magnuz Oct 3rd, 2019 15:19

Some car owners in warm countries don't always use strong enough anti freeze/ coolant, or renew it often enough, resulting in a build up of corrosion & blockage ?
As well as flushing or renewing the radiator, flush the whole system through !

dtm Oct 4th, 2019 06:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by gatos (Post 2559301)
From the sounds of it. it seems that the radiator may have a faut. Have you tried removing it and using a hose to pump water in one end and see how fast or how easy it comes out the other way?

I did, and it did come out the other end but considerably slower then it got into the top. After all the water ran out from the bottom hose, if I where to flip it upside down more water would run out from the top.
It did if fact appear to have some sort of blockage.

Should be picking up a replacement radiator today or tomorrow.

dtm Oct 4th, 2019 06:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by magnuz (Post 2559392)
Some car owners in warm countries don't always use strong enough anti freeze/ coolant, or renew it often enough, resulting in a build up of corrosion & blockage ?
As well as flushing or renewing the radiator, flush the whole system through !

The system has been flushed.