Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   Performance Volvo Cars (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Big brakes. (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=19128)

g-wagon May 2nd, 2006 16:36

Big brakes.

Hello all. I'm sure a lot of you reading this section have modified oyur brakes. I was just wondering though, if I was to by a big brake kit for an 850R, would the abs still work? I know that you might need hangers to extend the calipers a bit, but would the abs sensor be affetced or anything like that?

Is there anything else that I should know, like do you need an extented brake hose?

These may be stupid sounding to some, but, no harm in asking.

Thanks people.:)

bobcat May 2nd, 2006 17:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by g-wagon
Hello all. I'm sure a lot of you reading this section have modified oyur brakes. I was just wondering though, if I was to by a big brake kit for an 850R, would the abs still work? I know that you might need hangers to extend the calipers a bit, but would the abs sensor be affetced or anything like that?

Is there anything else that I should know, like do you need an extented brake hose?

These may be stupid sounding to some, but, no harm in asking.

Thanks people.:)

abs will be fine, it uses a pickup on the driveshaft.

Simon Linton May 5th, 2006 08:26

Various brake options

The Gold Standard for the big brake boys is the AP kit which includes absolutely everything you need to convert including all the shims, washers, brake fluid etc.
It is bloody expensive however, and there are lower cost options, which deliver some if not all of the benefits.

The best value option for the 850 owner is a pair of caliper brackets and the 302mm discs from the 70 series models.

You will need longer hoses - Goodridge or other braided ones for preference - and you have a dizzying choice of discs and pads to replace the stock items.

Under no circumstances go for any new calipers that are for race use; they have no dust seals and will need either frequent rebuilding or very early replacement under road conditions.

In all cases ensure that the discs and pads are properly bedded in according to the maker's instructions, otherwise they will crack or warp.

For all big brakers, 18" rims are the minimum and only the Titan, Pegasus and Volans Volvo wheels will hold the AP kit without spacers.

I don't recommend cheap big alloys as they will bend in use.

Simon Linton May 5th, 2006 08:27

Oops

I meant 17" rims as minimum, sorry.

g-wagon May 5th, 2006 12:59

Thanks for that.

I don't think my budget will be able to extend to the AP racing. Heard good things but unfortunatly wont be able to afford them.:emoticon_U:

I'll have a dig about the good old tinternet and have a look.

Quote:

1.The best value option for the 850 owner is a pair of caliper brackets and the 302mm discs from the 70 series models.

2.You will need longer hoses - Goodridge or other braided ones for preference - and you have a dizzying choice of discs and pads to replace the stock items.
Could you please clarify:

1. Is that the discs and caliper brackets form a v70R? or is it upgraded caliper brackets and upgraded discs that can be used for the v70 and the 850(Aftermarket stuff i mean)?
Will this need longer hoses too?

2. How much do these hoses cost (just roughly)?

Thank you.:cyclops:

iGGy May 5th, 2006 17:23

Standard Volvo brake disc sizes are 280 and 302MM. The caliper is the same regardless and only a different caliper bracket is needed depending on the disc diameter used. As standard quipment the 302's can be found on the 70 series, but not all 70's.

The brake lines are slightly longer with the the 302's due to increased distance of the caliper from the strut and the need to keep the desired loop routing of the brake hose. Goodridge kits can be found around £60 or you can get some made up if you have a local agent.

Simon J May 5th, 2006 21:46

In relation to the effect of big brakes on ABS, the key issue is for the effective piston area of the calipers to remain the same as, or close to, the standard brakes as the ABS makes assumptions about fluid volume which is obviously dependent upon piston size. The AP kit uses a four pot caliper (although I believe that a six pot one may also be in the pipeline) but the effective piston area is the same as (within a few square millimetres) the standard single pot caliper. Hence the ABS is unaffected. The other alternative of the Volvo Performance Brake Kit uses the same size (single) pistons as the standard caliper so it likewise has no effect on ABS.

However some of the 'fancier' kits may well have different effective piston areas and so would affect the ABS. There is an informative article on the subject at http://www.teamscr.com/bigbrakekits.html

g-wagon May 5th, 2006 22:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by iGGy
the need to keep the desired loop routing of the brake hose.

Could you please explain what that means? Do you just mean that the hose needs to be held in place at the same postion as before?

:cyclops:

bobcat May 5th, 2006 22:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by g-wagon
Could you please explain what that means? Do you just mean that the hose needs to be held in place at the same postion as before?

:cyclops:

im guessing he means so that when at full lock the hose isnt "drawing" a straight line from the caliper fitting to the hose bracket.you need the longer hose so when at full lock the hose still makes a nice curve and you dont get kinks at the fittings.

g-wagon May 5th, 2006 22:25

Gotcha.:cyclops: :Banane44: