Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   B18 Alternator position (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=338996)

RCHunt Mar 26th, 2024 12:25

B18 Alternator position

Having blown the B18 engine in my 142 I have a fully rebuilt B18 from an Amazon to replace it. However I have discovered that the lugs which are cast into the block near the timing cover to which the lower alternator bracket attaches are not there. I understand that earlier Amazons had the dynamo on the left of the engine near the exhaust manifold. This would be an undesirable location for an alternator so I presume this was the reason to switch to the right of the engine. Is there a kit/modification available so that I can fit the alternator in the usual 140 position on the right? Many thanks

Ron Kwas Mar 26th, 2024 14:33

RC;

"...dynamo on the left of the engine near the exhaust manifold. This would be an undesirable location for an alternator so I presume this was the reason to switch to the right of the engine..."

...this location is no less desirable than the Dynamo/Generator location of the earlier cars...in fact, even the early RHD cars also had their Dynamo located on the Manifold side, so there must have been room (maybe it was just "tight")... but this begs the question: How was there room for the Dynamo, but not the Alt on RHD cars (which I cannot answer...maybe OD of a Dyn is less than OD of an Alt...someone with a RHD Amazon can chime in with some pix). I thought a major reason that the Alt was moved to the Distrib side was to clear the Steering Box on RHD chassis, but this was clearly not absolutely necessary...I accept the minor advantage of cooling.

If you are going to use the B18 and must locate the Alt on the Distrib side, you will need a custom support bracket fabricated (I expect this might be involved and expensive)...but given the above with respect to there being adequate room on the Manifold side, an alternate solution would be to fit one of the retrofitted Alt brackets available (which add the Alt pivot to a similar location as shown below), onto the three OE Dynamo bracket holes. This might be a simpler, less costly solution than having the custom bracketry designed and fabricated for the Distrib side. ...hope that helps...

https://www.sw-em.com/B18-20_Gen_Alt_mountings.jpg
Source: https://www.sw-em.com/altkit_additio...n_B18_and_B20s

Good Hunting!

RCHunt Mar 26th, 2024 15:55

Hi, Thanks, I'me beginning to think I may have to go with the alternator on the manifold side, I believe I have heard of a kit being available to mount on the distributor side but having no success in finding one.
The alternator has a greater OD than a dynamo and also I believe that alternators are more likely to be damaged by heat soak than dynamos but I have no experience either way.

old fart Mar 26th, 2024 17:29

Alternator

1 Attachment(s)
There is room for an alternator in place of the dynamo, a Lucas one fits a treat
(the wires aren't as close to the exhaust as they look in the photo). You can modify the existing bracket or use spacers and a suitable length bolt.
I've had one in a similar position on a Triumph for years without any problems.
There was a kit for the other side of the engine which uses a bracket that uses 3 of the timing cover bolts.

Rustinmotion Mar 26th, 2024 17:47

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by RCHunt (Post 2942395)
Hi, Thanks, I'me beginning to think I may have to go with the alternator on the manifold side, I believe I have heard of a kit being available to mount on the distributor side but having no success in finding one.
The alternator has a greater OD than a dynamo and also I believe that alternators are more likely to be damaged by heat soak than dynamos but I have no experience either way.

This small alternator fits no problem even with the 4 branch manifold

RCHunt Mar 27th, 2024 11:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rustinmotion (Post 2942417)

Hi, Thanks, I don't particularly want to get another alternator but from your photo I see that there is plenty of room to clear the steering box for my existing one. Trouble is engine and car are currently in different places and it is difficult to assess how things will fit!

RCHunt Mar 27th, 2024 11:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by old fart (Post 2942412)
There is room for an alternator in place of the dynamo, a Lucas one fits a treat
(the wires aren't as close to the exhaust as they look in the photo). You can modify the existing bracket or use spacers and a suitable length bolt.
I've had one in a similar position on a Triumph for years without any problems.
There was a kit for the other side of the engine which uses a bracket that uses 3 of the timing cover bolts.

Hi, thanks, I am trying to source the kit/bracket to fit to the timing cover bolts. Brookhouse Volvo tell me they last did them 15 years ago and I cannot contact Amazon Cars.

Rustinmotion Mar 27th, 2024 15:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by RCHunt (Post 2942516)
Hi, thanks, I am trying to source the kit/bracket to fit to the timing cover bolts. Brookhouse Volvo tell me they last did them 15 years ago and I cannot contact Amazon Cars.

If you converted to electrical fuel pump I’m sure the two 5/16 bolts would be strong enough to hold an alternator, the bracket would have to be a fuel pump delete blanking plate and alternator bracket

RCHunt Mar 27th, 2024 20:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rustinmotion (Post 2942562)
If you converted to electrical fuel pump I’m sure the two 5/16 bolts would be strong enough to hold an alternator, the bracket would have to be a fuel pump delete blanking plate and alternator bracket

I have electric fuel pumps and a blanking plate where the fuel pump was, I had thought of running a bracket from there but I think it would be easier off the timing cover bolts.

Bracpan Mar 28th, 2024 10:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rustinmotion (Post 2942417)

That looks perfect the manifold is lagged and heat rises, was it a kit ?