Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   Temp gauge? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=226779)

volvoski Mar 30th, 2015 19:37

Temp gauge?

Just bought a 2010 xc70. Picking it up later this week and don't have the manuals here. I noticed the car didn't have a visible temp gauge in the dash? I'm sure it's possible to see it somewhere? Any information how please?

GrantA Mar 30th, 2015 19:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by volvoski (Post 1884270)
Just bought a 2010 xc70. Picking it up later this week and don't have the manuals here. I noticed the car didn't have a visible temp gauge in the dash? I'm sure it's possible to see it somewhere? Any information how please?

There is no temperature gauge - plain and simple - "not fitted" and hasn't been fitted on Volvos for a number of years.

volvoski Mar 30th, 2015 19:59

Thanks for the fast reply.How do you know if it's running hot or cold?

cheshired5 Mar 30th, 2015 20:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by volvoski (Post 1884295)
Thanks for the fast reply.How do you know if it's running hot or cold?

In their wisdom, Volvo obviously feel owners are no longer interested in such trivialities. :)
I'm sure the coolant temperature is still sensed for engine management and controlling the cooling fan so maybe invest £5 in a ELM327 Bluetooth dongle connected to an Android phone.
It will also show lots of other useful info.

volvoski Mar 30th, 2015 20:28

Would such a thing work on an I phone 6 please? I can't believe monitoring the engine temp isn't considered important these days! I still mourn the passing of oil pressure and volts on most cars.......my 911 has those and I feel they are an aid to monitoring the condition of the car. How do you know it's warmed up enough to give it the beans?

Clan Mar 30th, 2015 21:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by volvoski (Post 1884332)
Would such a thing work on an I phone 6 please? I can't believe monitoring the engine temp isn't considered important these days! I still mourn the passing of oil pressure and volts on most cars.......my 911 has those and I feel they are an aid to monitoring the condition of the car. How do you know it's warmed up enough to give it the beans?

If the temperature goes high you get a warning message , if it fails to warm up due to a faulty thermostat i daresay it tells you too , even the old V70 from the 1990's logged a fault code if the engine didnt warm up properly . Temperature gauges on volvos are boring they stay Exactly on the half way point for decades over 100,s of thousands of miles ...:thumbs_up: the digital TFT dash has a temperature gauge ..

cheshired5 Mar 30th, 2015 21:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 1884366)
. Temperature gauges on volvos are boring they stay Exactly on the half way point for decades over 100,s of thousands of miles

Exactly!
So the second it doesn't do that, you can get busy fixing long before getting a high temp warning.
I don't want to know it's overheating, I want to know it's going to overheat.
It's good to hear it's made a return for the nice new dash.

It just leaves sense to return on a physical oil dipstick. :)

cheshired5 Mar 30th, 2015 21:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by volvoski (Post 1884332)
Would such a thing work on an I phone 6 please?

Sorry I don't know. I don't do Apple.
Maybe another member can help or failing that Google or YouTube.

volvoski Mar 30th, 2015 21:17

When driving I make it a habit to scan the gauges. You don't actually take readings but you do notice if one or more is reading in a different area. It seems that manufacturers have decided the car knows better than the driver.

cheshired5 Mar 30th, 2015 21:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by volvoski (Post 1884381)
When driving I make it a habit to scan the gauges. You don't actually take readings but you do notice if one or more is reading in a different area. It seems that manufacturers have decided the car knows better than the driver.

Well in the same way that manufacturers have integrated other brands and standards like Bluetooth, Apple connectivity, Garmin and TomTom on their cars, maybe one day a Torque Pro setting could feature.
Even if you haven't got a clue what all the dials mean, they look great.