Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   V40/XC '12>17 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=194)
-   -   XC and R-design just expensive bodykits? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=208845)

lancslad1985 Jul 1st, 2014 07:38

XC and R-design just expensive bodykits?

Hi Everyone. I'm considering a V40 for my next car (currently own a golf) and have to say it looks great. Having read a few reviews they all say that both the XC and R-design versions are just expensive bodykits like the Audi S-line with no improvement over the actual drive. Is this the case? I'm more interested in the R-design, but the reviews say it actually rides much worse with no benefit to it.

John_C Jul 1st, 2014 07:56

The XC has a higher ride height which makes it a little less likely to ground out on rough surfaces. R-design is exactly what you say, a trim level like S-line or M-sport.

NewVolvo Jul 1st, 2014 10:05

Wife has an R-Design and I find the following differences:

1. Seats are more more supportive than standard ones.
2. Suspension is bone breaking hard, even on std 17" R-Design Wheels.
3. Interior can be very dark if no sunroof is specced (due to black headliner).
4. I find the interior to be a bit more interesting in the R-Design due to (unique) blue colour on the TFT display (at least it was in 2013) and some other design details.
5. More sporting looking design than the standard car.

I am sure there are more, but these are the ones I can think of on top of my head.

The V40 Cross Country is for me just a simply, jacked up version with extra plastics bolted on. Same car and engines though.

tt82 Jul 1st, 2014 10:29

Most R-Design models feature lowered chassis and stiffer springs over the standards version, and I would be surprised if this was not the same with the V40.

I-S Jul 1st, 2014 12:27

I understand there are two chassis setups on the v40 R design - the normal one (whether that is lower/stiffer than the se I don't know) and the "dynamic lowered" chassis, which for some reason is only standard on the D2 R design.

I drove one of those, and concur with NewVolvo - it is utterly idiotic. I think the car would benefit more from the weight reduction of simply removing the springs and shocks and replacing them with a solid bar, as the ride would be comparable.

tristanhallett Jul 1st, 2014 13:45

There are quite a few additions to the R-Design, see page 5 on http://www.volvocars.com/uk/Document...-pricelist.PDF for the full list. I think most are cosmetic like lighting and LCD dash etc but there are some other goodies.

Please excuse the cut and paste job ;)

In addition to the standard features, the R-Design model benefits from the following;
Unique R-Design Lower Front Nose, Grille and Rear Diffuser
R-Design Sports Upholstery
R-Design Twin Exhaust Pipes
Charcoal Headlining
Lowered Sports Chassis (D2 Manual only)
R-Design Sports Floor Mats
Active TFT Crystal Driver's Information Display
R-Design Sports Pedals
Sliding Front Centre Amrest
Leather Steering Wheel with Chrome Trim and R-Design Logo
Rear Armrest and Cup Holders in Rear Seat
R-Design Silver Matt Door Mirrors
Illuminated Gear Knob
LED Day Running Lights
Autofolding Power Door Mirrors with Ground Lights
R-Design Aluminium Trim
17" Ixion Alloy Wheels with 205/50 (D2 only) or 225/45 (not D2) Tyres

And the Lux version

In addition to the R-Design, the Lux model benefits from the following;
R-Design Leather Sports Upholstery
Cruise Control
Rear Reading, Theatre and Front Door Side Step Illumination
Front Door Tread Plates
Height Adjustable Tiltable Driver Seat with Lumbar Support
Active Bending Xenon Headlights
Forward Folding/Height Adjustable Front Passenger Seat with Lumbar Support
Headlight Cleaning System
Rain Sensor - Automatic Windscreen Wiper Activation

lancslad1985 Jul 2nd, 2014 07:04

Thanks everyone. I was just curious if the R-design package containted anything that changed how the car drove such as a different engine map. As nice as they look with the R-design bodykit I think I'll stick to looking at the standard V40 as 25k miles a year might break my back!

scw Jul 2nd, 2014 07:58

Can't say I find the ride of our R-Design to be particularly hard on the back.
In fact, it's much smoother and more relaxing that the Fiesta it replaced.

Salesman did say the R-Design comes with a strut brace under the bonnet
whereas the regular V40 does not. I've not been able to check the accuracy
of that claim, but ours does have one.

don kalmar union Jul 2nd, 2014 08:31

Ford Focus as an alternative.

These current small Volvos are pretty much identical to the current Focus being based on the very same current extended Focus platform.

So with the Volvos you are just paying for some added, some might say vulgar styling options over the Focus. Most likely that the Focus will depreciate less than the Volvo and be cheaper to run. The Focus is also surprisingly not a particularly cheap proposition but Ford are moving their products up in terms of quality and into the 'premium' spots without the vacuous aspirations of current Volvo product planners.

Regards, Don.

scw Jul 2nd, 2014 08:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by don kalmar union (Post 1682520)
These current small Volvos are pretty much identical to the current Focus being based on the very same current extended Focus platform.

Of course, but there's more to a car than just the floor plan and oily bits.
The V40 interior is a vast improvement over the Focus, and the exterior
styling is much more pleasing to look at. All IMHO obviously.