Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=201)
-   -   AEB related recall, 750,000 cars effected (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=304518)

Snoodini Mar 13th, 2020 19:48

AEB related recall, 750,000 cars effected

Hi,

A recall of Volvo cars built after Jan 21st 2019 was in the news in Sweden today. It seems all models are effected, SPA and CMA.

The fault with the AEB system was found by the Danish road safety testing organisation. The fault relates to a temperature sensor in the windscreen (I assume in the intellisafe shroud). It seems that the fault has not appeared in customer cars but a recall of all 750,000 cars will begin soon, it will be fixed with a software update.

Information will be sent to all effected owners in due course.

Im not sure how many cars in the UK are effected, apparently its 66,000 in Sweden.

Here's a couple of articles on the recall, in Swedish but I'm sure you're all capable of finding Google translate.

Teknikens Värld, an engineering publication

Expressen, a national newspaper

ovlov04v Mar 14th, 2020 10:07

Copy of a post from D Frantz across in the US forums (Swedespeed)

FWIW it's being fixed with just software, not the windshield replacement the article says. It's a stop sale on new cars but quick patch.

"Volvo Car USA LLC and Volvo Car Canada LTD (Volvo) on behalf of Volvo Car Group, has decided to launch Recall R29998 on certain Volvo S60,V60,V60CC, S90L,V90,V90CC, XC40, XC60 and XC90 MY 2019-2020.
Volvo has identified that the Active Safety Domain Master (ASDM) micro-processor can’t interpret the temperature status properly from internal memory, leading to low confidence value from the camera.
ASDM quality signal may be suppressed from the camera, which leads to a downgrading of the AEB (Automatic Emergency Brake) functionality, a part of Volvo Intellisafe package.
Volvo Cars Investigations have identified that the Automatic Emergency Brake System (AEB), a part of the driver support system - IntelliSafe, may not always work due to a software issue. In an emergency situation where the driver may be inattentive or does not react on oncoming obstacles, the AEB system may not always engage which could increase the risk of collision.
Please note that the regular brake system and all other functions in these vehicles are not affected."

Haldex Mar 15th, 2020 13:42

Wander what’s different on pre-2019 cars so they’re not affected.. different part supplier?..

Mytholmroyd60 Apr 4th, 2020 10:04

Just had my recall notice. I wonder if going to the nearest open service centre would count as “an essential journey”? I doubt it!

ACH166753 Apr 4th, 2020 13:47

Just received mine too. With the vehicle still being safe to drive, definitely don't think it is 'essential'!

crusted lark Apr 6th, 2020 17:02

What a curious fault. Does anybody know why the temperature affects the camera image?

key76 Apr 6th, 2020 17:47

Got my letter this morning. It says the normal braking is not impaired so highly doubt it counts as essential.

I’m not using car at the moment anyway, and once life resumes I’m due at dealer for some post collection bits to be done so it can be done at that time for me.

badonkadonk Apr 6th, 2020 19:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by crusted lark (Post 2617179)
What a curious fault. Does anybody know why the temperature affects the camera image?

From the report it sounds as if the module is interpreting the temperature sensor incorrectly. All electronic components have a guaranteed operating temperature range. The module likelythinks it is outside that range and going into a fail-safe state rather than potentially applying the brakes incorrectly.

Begonia Apr 7th, 2020 13:21

The Recall Letter also instructs, that on being presented with an appointment for the dealer to install updated software to correct the issue, it is of importance to present the Main Key Fob with the car, rather than the Lifestyle Key, before the (FREE) software upgrade is carried out.

I'm not sure what the reason for that is. Anyone know?

Fursty Ferret Apr 7th, 2020 20:02

The main key-fob is needed to connect the car to the dealer's wireless network for software updates. Probably a bit of a red herring because I asked my dealer about this and they said they found it so unreliable they always use a physical connection.