Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Engine: D5: DIY Top engine mount (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=40363)

D5 Monkey Jul 10th, 2007 12:01

DIY Top engine mount

1 Attachment(s)
As discussed in several other posts, a very simple job but thought I'd write it up for those who, like me, are always a bit sceptical when someone says "simple job"!!! Anyway, took me 30mins start to finish and I'm no mechanic but have resonable technical ability.

Hope it helps anyone who doesn't want to pay a dealer to repair this common problem.

Unfortunately I don't have the torque settings for the bolts, I used good old guess work (as most mechanics would) but can only recommend that anyone attempting this gets hold of the correct settings first as I don't want to be responsible for any damage! (if anyone gets these of Vadis I will happily put them into the doc)

Tim.

S60-MBS Jul 10th, 2007 12:07

Hi Tim,excellent work in writing up the work..the torque settings i used were pure guess work and so far no problems..Vadis does not seem to have the settings on it..
Regards
Mo

D5 Monkey Jul 10th, 2007 13:43

1 Attachment(s)
BTW Here's the two mounts, old and new as a comparison

P/N 30776354 for D5 engine (petrol engine mount is different)

D5 Monkey Jul 10th, 2007 20:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by S60-MBS (Post 261828)
Hi Tim,excellent work in writing up the work..the torque settings i used were pure guess work and so far no problems..Vadis does not seem to have the settings on it..
Regards
Mo

Cheers Mo, not really a big fan of specified torque settings an all that, I usually just tighten until it squeeks or until my hand slips off and I destroy my knuckles!!:hissyfit:

Don't want to be blamed for people destroying their engine casing though!

Wirralguy Jul 11th, 2007 09:55

Hi Tim

Excellent job of writing it up - wish I'd thought of it when I did mine.

One thing I did differently, mainly because I didn't have the torque settings, is instead of removing the main bolts on the brace, I removed the 2 smaller bracket bolts on each side (connecting the brace to the car). My thinking was that they would be less likely to require a specific torque setting than the bush.

Dave

S60-MBS Jul 11th, 2007 10:01

Thats how i did it Dave..only nuts i was worried about where the ones on mounting itself as its aluminium and higher chance of damage there..
regards
Mo

D5 Monkey Jul 11th, 2007 10:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wirralguy (Post 262195)

One thing I did differently, mainly because I didn't have the torque settings, is instead of removing the main bolts on the brace, I removed the 2 smaller bracket bolts on each side (connecting the brace to the car). My thinking was that they would be less likely to require a specific torque setting than the bush.

Dave

Thanks Dave, Likewise I couldn't decide which way to do it but opted for the big singular bolt as it looked more accessible, don't suppose it makes much difference but worth noting it can be done either way.

D5 Monkey Jul 11th, 2007 10:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mo Mo Mo (Post 262200)
only nuts i was worried about where the ones on mounting itself as its aluminium and higher chance of damage there..
regards
Mo

Only nuts I was worried about were mine as I went out to start this job 30 mins before the wife put the tea on the table!!!

Snowdon Jul 12th, 2007 06:43

2 Attachment(s)
Found these Torque settings taken from DIY manual covering V70 - 2000 to 2004 Years.

Engine cross-stay -Please view picture to identify

Engine cross-stay brackets to suspension turrets = 50Nm or 37Ibf ft

Engine cross-stay to brackets on the suspension turrets = 80Nm or 59Ibf ft

Engine cross-stay to engine mounting bracket = 80Nm or 59Ibf ft

Top Engine Mount

Please view Top Engine Mount drawing.

jolly_green_giant Jul 12th, 2007 07:54

Thanks for info, just wondering exactly what difference you notice when you change the bush. The only comment I've come across is that it "feels better" or similar which isn't much use.

Thanks

JGG