Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S40 / V40 '96-'04 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   "Pepper" smell (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=98345)

jocko Jun 18th, 2010 19:55

"Pepper" smell

In the summer I get a "pepper" smell/sensation when I have my air con on. It doesn't seem apparent in the winter. My wife never notices anything! Any ideas? Could it be the extremely dry air affecting my nasal passages? Anyone any experience? Thanks.

JRS80 Jun 18th, 2010 20:03

Hi, have you tried changing your pollen filter? There are also special companies out there that can treat the whole system with some sort of fungicide.

I guess it is also worth saying again to use the air con all year round to prevent any bacterial build - which could well be what you are smelling..

andy_d Jun 18th, 2010 20:04

check the cabin/pollen filter and when it was last changed maybe is full of "things that make you go eeew" ?

myatt1972 Jun 18th, 2010 22:12

I had an old cavalier that smelled like pepper, the problem turned out to be the heater matrix was leaking.
Hope its not that for you.
Keith...

grass hopper Jun 18th, 2010 22:33

a dry like cement dust smell when the heater is first started is bacteria in the heater box,there are sprays for this that can be directed into the heater box on recirculation,a sweet smell usually when the hot can be the heater matrix leaking but very rare.:thumbs_up:

4 forty Jun 19th, 2010 11:02

fabreeze

Quote:

Originally Posted by andy_d (Post 690296)
check the cabin/pollen filter and when it was last changed maybe is full of "things that make you go eeew" ?

before fitting the new pollen filter, give it a spray of fabreeze for a nice fresh smell.

jocko Jun 19th, 2010 16:56

Thanks guys.

Thanks to you all. As far as I am aware pollen filter has never been changed in last 4 years. I will get it changed now. Matrix is not leaking as it has not lost a drop of coolant in all this time. I use air con summer and winter. Believe changing filter requires stripping facia panels off inside car. I think I will phone local Volvo dealer for a menu quote and let him do it. Thank you all once again.

andy_d Jun 19th, 2010 18:10

yours is a Phase 2 s/v40 ?
if so the pollen filter is a 5min job (honestly 5mins)
passenger foot well, there is a black retaining cap one "press to release" clip and swing the cap out the way, pull down the old filter, using the two pull tabs, (use both it makes life easier) bending the filter towards the passenger wheel as you lower it, hoover up the dust /debris that fall out, quick hoover on the edge of the hole, un box the new filter , ease the top edge in (it only goes in 1 way) bending it towards the passenger wheel again as you feed it up and in, slip the capping strip back on,, done.
no need to trouble the dealer at all. filters - FRF in swansea or ebay (about £20 ish posted)
phase 1 "unsure"

jocko Jun 20th, 2010 15:32

Thanks.

Thanks andy_d and 4 forty. I will give it a go. Should save a small fortune.

danielv40 Jun 23rd, 2010 17:30

Hi,
I seem to get the dry cement smell from mine, but only really when the aircon it turned on.
I have got some Forte air conditioning anti-bac clean and freshen spray, but i haven't got a clue where to spray it. Any ideas? Thanks.

V40 1997, 2.0 CD Auto.