Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   XC70: Gearbox Gear selector service require (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=315368)

Priory Mar 22nd, 2021 14:16

Gear selector service require

2 Attachment(s)
Hi
Got the gear selector service required fault on my dash
Vida message, TCM-U210512 Switch pack Signal "A" General electrical failures-circuit short to battery.

pointed to the gear selector module which was changed by volvo (£300), seemed ok til the following day, fault returned,
My question my gear shift, (see pics) should it be illuminated and if it should can it be throwing up the fault? it doesn't light up.
All gears change ok and show up on the dash ok.
I am returning tomorrow for volvo to rectify hopefully.
Thanks for any input.

Bonefishblues Mar 22nd, 2021 14:24

You put a new series selector knob on a previous-gen car, yes?

Priory Mar 22nd, 2021 14:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonefishblues (Post 2721059)
You put a new series selector knob on a previous-gen car, yes?

XC70 SE Lux D5 2013 facelift I believe. As I bought it, I have read that some of the 2013 models did have illuminated knobs, to be honest I don't know.

Bonefishblues Mar 22nd, 2021 14:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Priory (Post 2721061)
XC70 SE Lux D5 2013 As I bought it, I have read that some of the 2013 models did have illuminated knobs, to be honest I don't know.

Yes, it'll be latest-gen then.

Priory Mar 22nd, 2021 14:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonefishblues (Post 2721064)
Yes, it'll be latest-gen then.

Thanks, should it be lit?

apersson850 Mar 23rd, 2021 14:15

Yes, the model year 2013 was the only one with illumination inside the gear selector. Prior models had illuminated markings on the console below the selector. Later models had the indication in the main dashboard only.

At least that was how it worked in Sweden.

Priory Apr 1st, 2021 14:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Priory (Post 2721056)
Hi
Got the gear selector service required fault on my dash
Vida message, TCM-U210512 Switch pack Signal "A" General electrical failures-circuit short to battery.

pointed to the gear selector module which was changed by volvo (£300), seemed ok til the following day, fault returned,
My question my gear shift, (see pics) should it be illuminated and if it should can it be throwing up the fault? it doesn't light up.
All gears change ok and show up on the dash ok.
I am returning tomorrow for volvo to rectify hopefully.
Thanks for any input.

Update, Volvo have had it over a week now and have just given up after numerous rewiring this and that, another new gear selector module, all to no avail, any ideas? is this a mot failure?

Kev0607 Apr 1st, 2021 17:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Priory (Post 2724445)
Update, Volvo have had it over a week now and have just given up after numerous rewiring this and that, another new gear selector module, all to no avail, any ideas? is this a mot failure?

Its not an MOT failure.

You need to have a stern word with Volvo. They've given up because they can't be bothered... its a very poor attitude to have after you've paid £300.

Have a stern word with them & tell them that you demand that the car is fixed & don't take no for an answer.

Priory Apr 1st, 2021 19:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kev0607 (Post 2724501)
Its not an MOT failure.

You need to have a stern word with Volvo. They've given up because they can't be bothered... its a very poor attitude to have after you've paid £300.

Have a stern word with them & tell them that you demand that the car is fixed & don't take no for an answer.

They claim they are having difficulty communicating with it, yet I had a spare key made and programmed independently the week before no problem.
My nephew does all my servicing and will take a look, I don't want to go back to Volvo to be honest.
Thanks.

Bonefishblues Apr 1st, 2021 20:27

They designed and built the car. It's their job to know how to fix it. If the dealer can't then their job is to refer it to someone in Volvo UK or its network who can. Keep them on the hook.