Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   Lights left on (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=302915)

PEGE63 Jan 27th, 2020 13:12

Lights left on

Always keep the lights set at 'on' and they turn themselves on with the ignition. Have had a few issues with the parling lights having stayed on afterwards (ie have had to turn switch to off = 0 ) - any suggestions?

Tatsfield Jan 27th, 2020 13:43

And I always keep mine at Off and they come on when the ignition comes on. :teeth_smile:

PEGE63 Jan 27th, 2020 15:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tatsfield (Post 2593720)
And I always keep mine at Off and they come on when the ignition comes on. :teeth_smile:

Suppose your way will mean you can not just switch full beam on (apart from flashing) without turning the switch to ON first.

Tatsfield Jan 27th, 2020 15:23

No, pull back on stalk for flash and push forwards for full beam.

Tannaton Jan 27th, 2020 18:11

On every Volvo I've had I always keep the lights on position II - i.e. ON - including my MY15 XC60 as this means the rear lights are on whereas I don't think they are with just the DRL's.

This is my personal preference, not advice, but it seems strange that there is no warning beep with the parking lights so if you do use them for parking, it is easy to leave them on (later model cars with up to date software do warn you to reset the light switch if you drive off with the parking lights on). It also means you will have full headlights in fog which you will not have if you forget to turn them on in daylight if foggy.

BTW the parking lights are just that, you should never drive on parking lights/side lights alone, they have no legal significance. On modern cars it is the worst thing you can do as turning the side lights on will switch off (or significantly reduce the power) of the DRL's so you will reduce the light output from the front lights by 75% approx. I'm still amazed that some people still drive on side lights only in modern cars.

PEGE63 Jan 28th, 2020 13:50

Sorry for not making myself clear.
Issue is that the parking lights have stayed on when having left the car and having locked it. This is when the switch has been left in the ON position which it has been for as long as I have owned the car and never been an issue until now, weird.

And yes agree to muppets driving with parking lights/drl's when dark, just cause the instrument light is on does not mean all is well outside. Volvo's are good hence and have been for many years hence.

Clan Jan 28th, 2020 14:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by PEGE63 (Post 2594109)
Sorry for not making myself clear.
Issue is that the parking lights have stayed on when having left the car and having locked it. This is when the switch has been left in the ON position which it has been for as long as I have owned the car and never been an issue until now, weird.

And yes agree to muppets driving with parking lights/drl's when dark, just cause the instrument light is on does not mean all is well outside. Volvo's are good hence and have been for many years hence.

which Light Switch position do you call the "ON" position , Position I , II or III ?
the parking lights will always stay on in position II ( the middle position )

Tannaton Jan 28th, 2020 17:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 2594119)
which Light Switch position do you call the "ON" position , Position I , II or III ?

This is by design as there are times when you need to leave parking lights on when leaving your car (i.e. on a road at night with a speed limit above 30 mph).

However I'm not sure if the above is ever enforced these days.... or if it's even practical to do so.

It is enforced in certain parts of German which is way most VW's have parking lights operated by the indicator stalk when the ignition is off so you can turn only the front and rear position lamp on at the side which is relevant thus much prolonging the life of the battery, on many Volvo models parking lights means at least eight 5w bulbs.

PEGE63 Jan 28th, 2020 20:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 2594119)

It’s pos.3. I’ve had this complaint from the ladies of the house (don’t drive car much myself) and tested it tonight and it’s fine in pos.3 so have told them to keep an eye on this for a few days. Will revert if problem persists.

Tatsfield Jan 29th, 2020 09:55

Just for clarity, are these positions read from right to left so that position III is the left hand one with the rectangular lozenge icon? That's the position I have left my lights in permanently since I've owned the car for the last three years. I never have to worry about the lights at all. They come on when I turn on the ignition, the dipped come on when it gets dark and they go off when I turn of the ignition. The only problem I have is that when I drive any other car I don't remember to put on the lights! :confused_smile: