Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Broken Spring (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=278271)

The Landshark Feb 13th, 2018 00:01

Broken Spring

A front right spring broke on my xc70 D5 ('06).
Could anyone tell me what, apart from volvo, is a good brand to replace with.
I don't fancy €370 for OE ones.
I'm told there's different rates of spring fitted depending on engine etc.
Also, what should I figure on replacing while I'm at it.
Thanks

Dancake Feb 13th, 2018 00:06

Lesjöfors make good springs, and they just so happen to be a Swedish company. The top mounts and bearings are also worth doing while you're in there.

jgjones095 Feb 13th, 2018 00:08

I used ones from gsf. Should replace in pairs.
I learnt that my shocks were also knackered when I changed my springs... but did them another day.
My advice get some good long spring compressors!
I also changed my bump stops, spring tops and top mounts.

Simon Jones Feb 13th, 2018 00:40

I used Sachs from Euro Car Parts and there was only one type for XC70 regardless of engine. The XC's do seem prone to snapping the front springs so definately replace both at same time. Unless the shocks are leaking, I personally wouldn't bother replacing them, but if you've got the cash then it makes sense to them at the same time.

The Landshark Feb 13th, 2018 00:51

thanks guys, i'll have a look in the motorfactors tomorrow,
I think I'll just do the springs for now and see what the rest is like.

4x4 Feb 13th, 2018 01:03

The spring rate for your car will be on the ID plate which is located on the B-pillar, open the rear driver side door to view it.

More info in this link Click

Georgeandkira Feb 13th, 2018 01:43

At what mileage did your spring break?

I too am all for getting my money's worth out of any part. For struts, 140K is about as long as the honeymoon lasts.

Your bearing top mount will land somewhere on a rusted scale. There's a good chance you can coax some lube into the raceway and reuse 'em, as I did. When in doubt, leave it out. Kira

The Landshark Feb 13th, 2018 09:03

Therez 285,000 on it. Shocks are reasonably good, still the originals though.
Ill get a set of springs in and find out what the rest is like on strip down.

Georgeandkira Feb 13th, 2018 13:45

If your shock/strut action is good at 285K there HAS to be a difference in the equipment installed between No. American and UK vehicles.

At 162K one of my struts was leaked out and had no damping resistance or extension of any kind and the other did resist compression and would slowly and choppily try to extend. They were SO GONE it wasn't funny!

Whyman Feb 13th, 2018 17:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Georgeandkira (Post 2368763)
If your shock/strut action is good at 285K there HAS to be a difference in the equipment installed between No. American and UK vehicles.

At 162K one of my struts was leaked out and had no damping resistance or extension of any kind and the other did resist compression and would slowly and choppily try to extend. They were SO GONE it wasn't funny!

Or perhaps there are fewer potholes in the USA?