Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   Loss of power - Enigne syrtem service required (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=184808)

JIMBOfred Jul 18th, 2013 11:29

Loss of power - Enigne syrtem service required

My 05 S40 2.0D just had quite a drastic loss of power and the warning message - Engine System Service Required - appeared. I'm assuming the norm would be to take it to a volvo dealers and get them to find the fault, fix it and then issue a hefty bill. I've never used a main dealer before and am a little wary. Having just bought our first house and had our first child my wife and I are not in the best position financially atm. Can anyone either reassure my fear of main dealers or suggest another solution.

Cheers

eethon Jul 18th, 2013 16:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by JIMBOfred (Post 1452330)
My 05 S40 2.0D just had quite a drastic loss of power and the warning message - Engine System Service Required - appeared. I'm assuming the norm would be to take it to a volvo dealers and get them to find the fault, fix it and then issue a hefty bill. I've never used a main dealer before and am a little wary. Having just bought our first house and had our first child my wife and I are not in the best position financially atm. Can anyone either reassure my fear of main dealers or suggest another solution.

Cheers

is the engine euro 3 or 4? If 4 perhaps the DPF is clogged and you need it replaced with an additive top up?

If 3 could be the EGR valve? Had a similar issue with mine and it was the EGR valve and a letting by injector. But I believe the warning " Engine System Service Required" will throw up either the EGR or DPF fault.

Someone else with a bit more experience may be able to point you in the right direction if im wrong.

138gat Jul 18th, 2013 17:59

Could be any number of things, best to get the codes read first and then you/we will have an idea which way to go.
Try an independant garage to get the codes read as it will be a fraction of the price volvo charge some may scan it for free, it only takes 5 mins.

SonyVaio Jul 18th, 2013 18:24

Chances are you've just split a boost hose, I'd give them a check over and maybe save yourself a fortune? Costs nothing but a little bit of time to look and feel?

Unless it was ultra obvious like a belt went twang and some awful noises there is not too many things that would have such a drastic effect on power. A split hose, pipe or intercooler would be one of these reasons though.

:star-wars-smiley-01

JIMBOfred Jul 18th, 2013 19:16

Cheers. All useful stuff. Was hoping I could use a smaller garage for diagnostics but I wasn't sure. Might try that. Intercooler pipe sounds kind of plausible. It is now kicking out huge amounts of smoke though. Would that make sense for these issues? I finish school for the summer next week so I should be able to have a go. I do have some tinkering experience but not on anything this modern. Will need some help if I do so keep checking.
Thanks.

JIMBOfred Jul 18th, 2013 19:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by eethon (Post 1452445)
is the engine euro 3 or 4?

Not sure. Is there an easy way to check?

x DTR x Jul 18th, 2013 19:27

Eighth digit on vin/chassis number.Will be on log book or may be able to access it on info center in console!

JIMBOfred Jul 18th, 2013 19:44

The eigth digit is a 3. So i assume that meens it's a 3. Where is this A
EGR valve and can I check it manualy?
Ps. Am I doing it much more harm driving it as I have to drive 50 miles to get home tomorrow?

x DTR x Jul 18th, 2013 19:57

Ok, it will be a euro 3 then. Check the pipes as sony suggests as may be as simple as that, you could blank the egr valve and disconnect the light grey plug and see how that goes if nothing else found? As for driving in it's condition, i am not sure about that?

x DTR x Jul 18th, 2013 20:25

Ps, egr valve is located at the rear end of the shiny pipe on top of engine. Loosen the 10mm bolts a littlle way and slide a flattened bit of tin to cover the hole. Tighten the bolts and disconnect the grey plug. Try this if nothing else obvious is found!