Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=187)
-   -   Front wide angle camera instructions (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=310194)

JeffCooper63 Sep 22nd, 2020 22:18

Front wide angle camera instructions

Ok, so I've bought the bits for the dual front camera install, I've VDashed it and in theory installed the software using it, and I sort of expected it to throw an error without the camera physically connected - but nothing, zilch, doodley-squat.

Can someone who has this option just tell me a bit about what menu options show up, what happens when you press the "cam" button etc. Just so I can make sure it's working or not when I actually connect the camera hopefully tomorrow ?

JeffCooper63 Sep 23rd, 2020 19:14

Not to worry - the cable turned up today in a nice box, complete with 60 page user manual including 4 pages in english. Nice. PS The camera does work great, but when using vdash, you have to pick the front camera option, not the dual front camera, which since the camera looks two ways, I sort of foolishly set it to first, and of course nothing happened. Vdash is fantastic, and really really bad at the same time

Easington Sep 24th, 2020 15:50

Do you mind me asking how much that cost?

Also I have a rear camera and therefore have a CAM button - not sure how this works in conjunction with the front cams?

Thanks

JeffCooper63 Sep 25th, 2020 07:50

I paid £90 for a broken camera and bracket (that still worked, but needed plastic and silicon to make it waterproof - I hope) plus £70 for the harness kit. You also need to pay Vdash about £40 to enable the camera (although mine didin't charge me, I think because I'd paid for the rear camera).

But as normal in this world, just to really annoy me, the "evolve" website, run by colchester Lookers volvo are currently selling the complete kit (minus the vdash bit obviously) for £217 brand new - which is a bargain.

As for how it works, you press the cam button, and the front cam becomes the third camera (after rear, and rear-zoom) in the list that you can toggle between using the "tune" wheel, or by simply repressing the "cam" button multiple times.

By the way, its brilliant, like magic - like having your head stuck on the front of the car, with an eye on both sides of it. I still dont get how they do it, some sort of software trickery I think.

Easington Sep 29th, 2020 12:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffCooper63 (Post 2667683)
I paid £90 for a broken camera and bracket (that still worked, but needed plastic and silicon to make it waterproof - I hope) plus £70 for the harness kit. You also need to pay Vdash about £40 to enable the camera (although mine didin't charge me, I think because I'd paid for the rear camera).

But as normal in this world, just to really annoy me, the "evolve" website, run by colchester Lookers volvo are currently selling the complete kit (minus the vdash bit obviously) for £217 brand new - which is a bargain.

As for how it works, you press the cam button, and the front cam becomes the third camera (after rear, and rear-zoom) in the list that you can toggle between using the "tune" wheel, or by simply repressing the "cam" button multiple times.

By the way, its brilliant, like magic - like having your head stuck on the front of the car, with an eye on both sides of it. I still dont get how they do it, some sort of software trickery I think.

Brilliant - thanks for your help!

Jules_V70R Oct 6th, 2020 14:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easington (Post 2667531)
Do you mind me asking how much that cost?

Also I have a rear camera and therefore have a CAM button - not sure how this works in conjunction with the front cams?

Thanks

1st Press Front Cam
2nd Press Rear Cam with guidance lines
3rd Press Rear Cam Zoomed
4th Press Off

Spacejam Oct 9th, 2020 19:52

Can you also see the front bumper with the cam (the corners) so it can help with parking?

JeffCooper63 Oct 10th, 2020 13:57

you can just see the top of the number plate if that helps