Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   Electric steering pump (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=296822)

Black dog Jul 20th, 2019 20:15

Electric steering pump

Can anyone confirm or denay if a used electric power steering pump has to be coded?
I purchased a used pump from Huddersfield Volvo, rang them to confirm part no ect and had it delivered.
When it arrived the sticker with the part number had been removed very recently, when I fitted it the steering works for about 5 seconds and stops, I've still got the power steering message on the dash.
I have 4 faults in eps ecu.
U030000 -ecu
U012600 control unit lost communication with steering angle sensor
U012900 control unit lost communication with brake system
U014000 control unit lost communication with central electronic (cem)

Is it possible Huddersfield didn't have the right part and just sold me any one they had or do I need coding?

Clan Jul 20th, 2019 22:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Black dog (Post 2537988)
Can anyone confirm or denay if a used electric power steering pump has to be coded?
I purchased a used pump from Huddersfield Volvo, rang them to confirm part no ect and had it delivered.
When it arrived the sticker with the part number had been removed very recently, when I fitted it the steering works for about 5 seconds and stops, I've still got the power steering message on the dash.
I have 4 faults in eps ecu.
U030000 -ecu
U012600 control unit lost communication with steering angle sensor
U012900 control unit lost communication with brake system
U014000 control unit lost communication with central electronic (cem)

Is it possible Huddersfield didn't have the right part and just sold me any one they had or do I need coding?

Yes it is a module which needs software to add it to the car's computer so it is recognised and runs .

Black dog Jul 20th, 2019 23:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 2538024)
Yes it is a module which needs software to add it to the car's computer so it is recognised and runs .

I was unsure as I've not fitted a Volvo one before. However on Ford Focus and mk3 mondeo they are a similar pump and don't require coding.
I don't want to pay Volvo to code it if it's the wrong unit and I'm weary about the sicker with the number being removed.

Black dog Jul 20th, 2019 23:30

Would this be able to be coded with vida off line or is it a trip to the dealer?

Clan Jul 21st, 2019 10:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Black dog (Post 2538037)
I was unsure as I've not fitted a Volvo one before. However on Ford Focus and mk3 mondeo they are a similar pump and don't require coding.
I don't want to pay Volvo to code it if it's the wrong unit and I'm weary about the sicker with the number being removed.

I missed that you had a used pump ..

There are 4 different pumps available for your car . you could have the wrong part number ,

I am not familiar with Ford software , however volvo use their own security and operational software and you would find it difficult to find a dealer willing to try and load software into a used unit which a, is from another car and b , is of unknown origin and type . If the cars software locks up they are left with the problem of sorting it out which could be an expensive job . and they will get no help from volvo to sort it out as the dealers are already forbidden to do this . .

I assume your circuit board is corroded ? If not can you swap the damaged mechanical parts over ? Maybe they are the same , maybe not of course ...
there was a modified power plug repair kit available if water has got into the main connector .

Black dog Jul 21st, 2019 14:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 2538088)
I missed that you had a used pump ..

There are 4 different pumps available for your car . you could have the wrong part number ,

I am not familiar with Ford software , however volvo use their own security and operational software and you would find it difficult to find a dealer willing to try and load software into a used unit which a, is from another car and b , is of unknown origin and type . If the cars software locks up they are left with the problem of sorting it out which could be an expensive job . and they will get no help from volvo to sort it out as the dealers are already forbidden to do this . .

I assume your circuit board is corroded ? If not can you swap the damaged mechanical parts over ? Maybe they are the same , maybe not of course ...
there was a modified power plug repair kit available if water has got into the main connector .

Yes used part from Huddersfield Volvo. Really not happy about the sticker having been removed. I thought they had a good reputation for selling correct parts.
My origeonal one was damaged beyond repair before I got the car and in the final stages of putting it back on the road.
Every time I think I'm nearly there it throws another hurdle!

Black dog Jul 30th, 2019 00:36

ALL SORTED!
Ordered another pump from Volvo Saab breakers. Fitted and working perfect.
They got the part right first time and no messing, very pleased with them.

As for Huddersfield Volvo they can SUCK MY BAG! Shower of messing crooks send anything out in the hope you don't return it, don't care about the price of postage I'm out or the time the car is sitting.
I don't recommend them. Pulling off the part number and hoping for the best is not the attitude to have.

Tatsfield Jul 30th, 2019 00:41

As a tail-piece, did you Huddersfield Volvo give you your money back? If not, did you pay by credit card? If so ask the credit card company to initiate a dispute with the seller and to return your money to you regardless of what Huddersfield Volvo choose to do.

Black dog Jul 30th, 2019 20:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tatsfield (Post 2540450)
As a tail-piece, did you Huddersfield Volvo give you your money back? If not, did you pay by credit card? If so ask the credit card company to initiate a dispute with the seller and to return your money to you regardless of what Huddersfield Volvo choose to do.

They have agreed a refund when I return the part. No danger of getting reimbursed for my postage. Yes paid by credit card

Tannaton Jul 30th, 2019 21:56

That's a bit harsh feedback based on 1 transaction - Huddersfield Volvo generally get good press on here, I've used them myself and found them very helpful.

I'm not suggestion they didn't fug up your order, but they have the best stocks of just about any Volvo breaker.