Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=187)
-   -   Is it advisable to recharge the AC refrigerant myself? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=308774)

Knonist Aug 9th, 2020 12:45

Is it advisable to recharge the AC refrigerant myself?

Hi,

The gas hasn't been recharged since new and the A/C is making some winning noise at slower speed (below 30mph).The output is still cold but just noisy.

Is is advisable to buy a can and refill it myself or should I let the dealer to do it?

If I buy a can, should I get it from the dealer or any particular brands? It is a 2010 V60

MacV50 Aug 9th, 2020 12:47

I might be wrong but I didn't think it was legal to do it yourself as the refridgerant as really bad for the environment so must be handled by licensed AC techs

Baxlin Aug 9th, 2020 12:59

FWIW, even if it was legal, I wouldn’t want to DIY, as it must have ‘failed’ for a reason, and which I’d want investigated.....

Stone Free Aug 9th, 2020 13:59

Having had 36 years in the air conditioning / refrigeration industry I would advise strongly against attempting to re-gas the vehicle air conditioning system yourself, as it's illegal unless you are qualified & have the required 2079 Fgas certification. Refrigerant gases work at very high pressures & can be extremely dangerous if not handled carefully & professionally.
Take it to the dealer who will have the work undertaken by a qualified engineer.

Spike56 Aug 9th, 2020 14:19

Many posts in multiple threads about the a/c whine! It appears with the a/c on, goes if the a/c is switched off and even stops on it's own during use. Most posters just get used to it. I have! Not even Volvo seem to be able to find it!
If the a/c works, don't fix it!

piotrek Aug 9th, 2020 14:25

There is a solution - technical journal - for AC whine in spring and summer:

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...18#post2637018

Chrispynuts Aug 9th, 2020 17:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stone Free (Post 2654493)
Having had 36 years in the air conditioning / refrigeration industry I would advise strongly against attempting to re-gas the vehicle air conditioning system yourself, as it's illegal unless you are qualified & have the required 2079 Fgas certification. Refrigerant gases work at very high pressures & can be extremely dangerous if not handled carefully & professionally.
Take it to the dealer who will have the work undertaken by a qualified engineer.

Halfords sell a gasing kit !

Tannaton Aug 10th, 2020 12:10

The kit Halfords sell is the STP EziChill system which is intended for topping up of systems - not for refilling from empty.

Given the price of the kit from Halfords, you're better option is to go to Kwik Fit where for the same price they will drain and refill the system - remember the lubrication oil is mixed with the gas. If they don't improve the cooling capacity of the system they don't charge.

This is about the only time I would recommend KF, but I think it's fairly safe as they couple up the machine and it's computerised, it does the rest.

Carabind Aug 10th, 2020 21:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tannaton (Post 2654751)
The kit Halfords sell is the STP EziChill system which is intended for topping up of systems - not for refilling from empty.

Given the price of the kit from Halfords, you're better option is to go to Kwik Fit where for the same price they will drain and refill the system - remember the lubrication oil is mixed with the gas. If they don't improve the cooling capacity of the system they don't charge.

This is about the only time I would recommend KF, but I think it's fairly safe as they couple up the machine and it's computerised, it does the rest.

To answer the OPs question, it is possible to fill at home but not without risk. I’d Also agree that this is a good use of Kwick Fit.

Knonist Aug 11th, 2020 00:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carabind (Post 2654929)
To answer the OPs question, it is possible to fill at home but not without risk. I’d Also agree that this is a good use of Kwick Fit.

Thanks, it is nice to know that I don't have to pay the dealer rate for this one. Just for my knowledge, would Volvo are all R134a / lubricant oil the same?