Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   200 Series General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Converting to manual transmission (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=312796)

264Driver Dec 25th, 2020 20:58

Converting to manual transmission

Hi.
Got a 264 V6 Auto. Loving the retro look.
But always prefered manual cars.
Is there an easy conversion to a later (5speed) box available?
Same bell-housing, support pattern? Which model?
Thanks chaps.

1978 Dec 26th, 2020 12:37

I have done a few from auto to manual conversions but not a Volvo. There is a Volvo breaker on the A1 in Bedfordshire who has many parts, he many be your best better for comparisons, though there may also be someone here that can help. One thing too consider is the diff ratios which can be different?

DOUGIE68 Dec 26th, 2020 15:44

No rear wheel drive 5spd gearbox for PRV engine.........However i do have a 4spd o/d with pedalbox, flywheel and clutch for sale. Lots of other 260 parts as well.
Its not a difficult job and V6 will pull the high rear axle ratio quite happily

264Driver Dec 26th, 2020 19:09

PM sent.

Laird Scooby Dec 27th, 2020 01:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by DOUGIE68 (Post 2692435)
No rear wheel drive 5spd gearbox for PRV engine.........However i do have a 4spd o/d with pedalbox, flywheel and clutch for sale. Lots of other 260 parts as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 264Driver (Post 2692485)
PM sent.

Having done many auto to manual conversions in the past (but not on Volvos), i would strongly suggest you plunder (paid for of course) Dougies stash of bits including any bits of trim for the manual gear lever, sealing boot (usually hidden under the centre console trim and under the gaiter), pedal box, clutch cable or hydraulics, pedal box and anything else he has that pertains to the conversion.
Also for advice on any aspect of the job. Assuming the PRV uses a spigot bush/bearing in the rear crank, i'd advise getting one from Volvo, if it's phosphor bronze soak it in engine oil until you fit it, wiping off all the excess after it's drained immediately prior to fitting.

There are many parts you won't even think of until you actually come to do the job unless you've done it before and it's all too easy to dismiss a part as "probably won't be needed" - Sods Law being what it is, that is the part that you'll find isn't re-usable on the new set-up.

I'd also strongly recommend getting new patch bolts from Volvo for fitting the flywheel to the crank - use your old ones to get it in place and tight ish then remove one at a time and fit the new ones, torquing them up to their correct setting. Patch bolts have an inert coating of thread locking compound that is activated by being tightened so are single use items. They can be cleaned and something like Loctite 243 can be added when refitting but they're quite a high torque and usually a fine thread, the thread itself is compromised on used bolts so renewal is definitely a good choice, especially on something that carries a lot of power and torque through it, not to mention vibration.
While the old drive plate is off and before you fit the flywheel, it would be a good time to renew the rear crank oil seal seeing as 99% of doing that as a single job is already done by that point.

Good luck with the conversion, i hope you post a thread on it with plenty of photos! :thumbs_up:

264Driver Dec 27th, 2020 09:41

Thanks for that.
Lots to think about.
I might get it up and running and see what it's like. Is the 264 autobox meant to be a step up?
Thanks again.

Laird Scooby Dec 27th, 2020 09:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by 264Driver (Post 2692547)
Is the 264 autobox meant to be a step up?
Thanks again.

What are you calling a step up? :thinking:

heckflosse Dec 27th, 2020 10:31

standard auto was only 3 speed.it was a luxury car so auto was expected but manual OD is much more fun to drive.

AndrewBrown Dec 27th, 2020 18:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by DOUGIE68 (Post 2692435)

there is a rear wheel drive manual gearbox for the PRV V6

From the Peugeot 604, not sure if it's 5 speed thoug but it does have a torque tube which is no bad thing see this man's blog for some pictures etc it's in French though

https://seven-604.blogspot.com/2008/

Laird Scooby Dec 27th, 2020 19:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndrewBrown (Post 2692678)
there is a rear wheel drive manual gearbox for the PRV V6

From the Peugeot 604, not sure if it's 5 speed thoug but it does have a torque tube which is no bad thing see this man's blog for some pictures etc it's in French though

https://seven-604.blogspot.com/2008/

I'm fairly certain the 604 only came as an auto here, might be wrong. The Talbot Tagora that also used the PRV V6 may have had a 5 speed manual but is likely to have been a beefed up 504/505 box so the mounts etc might be wildly different to what Volvo used. In fact there was a 505 V6 STi or GTi, can't remember now, rare when new and now found on shelves between rocking horse droppings and spare unicorn horns.

Not sure if it would be worth checking the 760 to see if there was a 5-speed manual available on that but i don't think so, not in this country anyway.