Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Other 70 Problem: "Alarm Service Required" and 052 in DIM Display (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=90128)

Propofol Mar 8th, 2010 18:48

"Alarm Service Required" and 052 in DIM Display

My car flagged up the alarm service required today in the DIM. I checked the fuse and it seemed fine, in fact the car siren 'cheeped' when I put the fuse back in the slot.

Dropped the bonnet from a height as well in case there was a problem with the sensor.

The DIM then displayed "052" in the DIM display and then went away.

No more alarm service messages since.

What is the meaning of "052"?

Incidentally, my regular service is due, from time to time there is a beep from the dash whilst driving but nothing in the DIM display - what's going on?

Car is a 52 plate V70 D5 auto, 102K on the clock.

Missing Lincs Mar 8th, 2010 22:52

On a car of the age of yours 'Alarm Service' usually means the back-up battery in the siren module is not taking charge. If a code read confirms this, go for the alarm kit (siren, bonnet switch, rivets and fixings), its actually cheaper than a replacement siren alone!
Not sure about your other code.

Ant77 Mar 9th, 2010 08:52

wind your windows down and arm your alarm, then stick your head in the open window to trigger the alarm, if the alarm sound isnt very loud its time for a new siren.

http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/for...p?f=11&t=17479

Phone FRF SWANSEA volvo, Simon will sort you out, he is also a user of this forum, his username is Rufe

Propofol Mar 9th, 2010 16:31

Well, I can tell you it was pretty loud last night when it went off having woken me from deep sleep!

I had take the fuse out to stop it going off each time it was armed.

Any ideas anyone?

Windows, doors, boot and bonnet all shut correctly. Could it be a microswitch? I get no warnings on the DIM to tell me anything is open.

I can live without the alarm, not much call for 52 plate V70's I'd imagine. But if it's fixable that'll be preferable.

Any ideas about the "52" in the DIM and random beeps from the dashboard over the past couple of weeks?

Simon Jones Mar 10th, 2010 00:01

I used to get a few random triggerings of my alarm before the battery finally packed up, so I think yours is on it's way out. I'm sure I used to get a few beeps now & again from inside when I was driving, but I never figured out what was causing it.

Just a thought, if you alarm siren does fail & the car gets broken into, then your insurance company could use it as an excuse not to pay out, so it's probably worth keeping it in good working order.

Peter H Apr 27th, 2010 07:47

My 04 V70 is having the same problem: occasional beeps for as long as I can remember; now the alarm is going off.
This coincides with the main car battery being on its last legs. I wonder if the back-up battery would take charge better, if I replaced the main battery?
Can you replace the back up battery?
Can some kind person tell me where the alarm unit is?
Thanks in advance for your help.

Missing Lincs Apr 27th, 2010 09:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter H (Post 659859)
Can you replace the back up battery?
Can some kind person tell me where the alarm unit is?

It is possible to replace the battery however it involves cutting the siren case open and then there's the question of whether its still Category I approved when you've put it back together. Also, depending on what state the battery is in and how much its leaked, its quite likely to have damaged other parts of the PCB.

The alarm siren is in the void between the wheel arch liner and the front bumper on the drivers (RH) side. Access is by removing the rivets holding the wheel arch liner in place.

Peter H Apr 28th, 2010 23:21

Thanks,
I have pulled the fuse out for the moment.
When I get time, I'll have a go at the siren battery.