Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   XC90 '02–'15 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Polestar - how to know if one is fitted? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=234790)

Yetty Aug 12th, 2015 18:10

Polestar - how to know if one is fitted?

Have been browsing the internet looking at XC90's for sale. Came across one vehicle, a D5 185, that had a Polestar badge on the tailgate. Short of driving it, how do you check if this is really installed or just pretending... e.g. when inspecting / 'doing a walkaround' on a forecourt, is there a way of visually checking if the Polestar is actually fitted on the XC90?

Funky Diver Aug 12th, 2015 19:44

A sales receipt is the proof. Alternatively the name of the dealership that fitted it and you "should" be able to check off the car's VIN.

There isn't anything visual you can check without the use of computer wizardry, and even then I don't know if it show's up in VIDA. Alex... one for you?

Cheers
Rich

A lex Aug 12th, 2015 19:57

I dont think it shows up in VIDA.

Its a case of sales receipt, or emailing the VIN to Polestar to verify.

Theres nothing to signify (one way or the other) from walking around the car.

cheshired5 Aug 12th, 2015 20:03

Look for a blown intercooler........ That's normally a sign Polestar is fitted. :hidesbehindsofa:

Considered1 Aug 12th, 2015 20:31

Take it for a spin...best is to find a motorway and once entering from the slip road floor it... by time you are in the outside lane on the motorway if there are still cars close behind you then probably hasnt got polestar, if they are really small dots and there is a big grin on your face then i'd say its got polestar!

Yetty Aug 12th, 2015 20:39

Thanks to all of you for those replies, useful and amusing, and all on the same screen, much appreciated, thanks.

A lex Aug 12th, 2015 20:49

What 'considered1' posted isnt totally absurd to be honest.

A std. 185 car should do 0-60 in about 11 sec.

Ive datalogged my Polestar 185 at 8.6s 0-60, which is a considerable (and tangible!) difference.

Give it a drive, and if theres any doubt get in touch with Polestar.

don kalmar union Aug 12th, 2015 23:32

Polestar installed?

All Volvo dealers record on Volvo's mainframe all work carried out by them on UK cars.

Only a dealer can install p* branded software so the easiest way of checking is by asking a dealer for a print-out of all records against a particular VIN number or registration number that they will do without charge.

Easy to ask for if the car is on sale at a Volvo dealership, if not then just note down the VIN or reg no and get the print out from a local dealer.... job done.

If you do buy an XC 90 D5 that has not got p* branded software then I can offer the alternative of MTE's very well received Swedish written aftermarket software for £395 including VAT that will give you enhanced outputs of 225hp with 480nm of torque with the later 185bhp model. Plus you install it yourself without the need to travel.

Don.

Curly59 Aug 13th, 2015 09:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheshired5 (Post 1961657)
Look for a blown intercooler........ That's normally a sign Polestar is fitted. :hidesbehindsofa:

Is that from experience? Seems like there's quite a few polestar/mte/shark upgrades knocking about on the forum and I've not picked that up as a general comment.

I'm interested for good reason!

Cheers

Julianpms Aug 13th, 2015 11:12

Polestar will provide all cars that have been upgraded through the Volvo dealer network with an official certificate, listing the model type and VIN. Ask to see that; if it isn't available, be wary.