Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=201)
-   -   Model designation (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=290810)

David404 Jan 19th, 2019 03:52

Model designation

OK so I'm a newbie here, zero knowledge of Volvo product and to be honest here somewhat reluctantly, here's where I am... Oh and sorry long post.

Will be swapping car in next 12 months or so, I like to make considered and informed decisions and big ones (££££) always take a while. New vehicle will be second hand, budget £25k. It's a family decision so SHMBO needs to be on board and has decided for reasons that are unclear she isn't keen on my ideal preference, Mercedes E class, probably an E220D but E350D not out of the question. Current generation S213 in MB speak.

Requirements/ non negotiable must have.

Estate
Auto G/box
Diesel - Euro6
Ability to safely tow 1700kg caravan

Finding the Volvo site rather confusing, trim seems to be

Momentum - poverty spec
Inscription - enhanced spec
R design - sports orientated trim

Engine limited to 190bhp 4 pot unless I go for cross country where a 250bhp 4 pot option exists.

No 6 pot option at all.

As a get go understanding of the range have I missed anything?

Going to be hard work, few real options given I don't want an SUV V90, BMW 5, Audi A6 or the MB getting nowhere figuring out why SHMBO has gone off MB but we agree on core requirements don't know what she expects me to find...

Quacker Jan 19th, 2019 04:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by David404 (Post 2486430)
OK so I'm a newbie here, zero knowledge of Volvo product and to be honest here somewhat reluctantly, here's where I am... Oh and sorry long post.

Will be swapping car in next 12 months or so, I like to make considered and informed decisions and big ones (££££) always take a while. New vehicle will be second hand, budget £25k. It's a family decision so SHMBO needs to be on board and has decided for reasons that are unclear she isn't keen on my ideal preference, Mercedes E class, probably an E220D but E350D not out of the question. Current generation S213 in MB speak.

Estate
Auto G/box
Diesel - Euro6

Momentum - poverty spec

Engine limited to 190bhp 4 pot unless I go for cross country where a 250bhp 4 pot option exists.

No 6 pot option at all.

Going to be hard work, few real options given I don't want an SUV V90, BMW 5, Audi A6 or the MB getting nowhere figuring out why SHMBO has gone off MB but we agree on core requirements don't know what she expects me to find...

Doesn’t look like you will find what you want in a Volvo. But who knows? You are at the start of a long fishing expedition. Hope you find your ideal ‘trout’.

Jamieboy Jan 19th, 2019 07:56

One observation: you don't need to go for a cross country to get the more powerful d5 engine. It's available on normal v90 with awd.

anotherv60 Jan 19th, 2019 09:58

Hi David, welcome to the forum, I too am looking to change my car in the next 12 months, I currently have a V90 D4 R design which I lease.

Volvos design and ethos is understatement and I think Volvo are rather poor at highlighting the features/performance of the vehicles and some of the dealers are not accustomed to selling premium products! I’d suggest you ask for a 24 hour test drive and see what you think after that.

Each of the three trim levels spec of the V90 has more standard features than the E-class, for example adaptive cruise and pilot assist(steer assist),run off road etc are standard on the Volvo but part of the 4.5K premium 2pack on the e class, you also get Volvo on call so you can start the car remotely (use your phone as a key) parking climate, send locations to the car etc, all round parking sensors, clean air system etc. The “hey Mercedes” function that has just been launched works in the same way as the Volvo’s voice control you just ask what you want you don’t have to say hey Volvo. It’s fairly handy with kids in the back just say play kids music and the Spotify app will play it or say I want a coffee in 20 mins and it will bring up a list of places to stop on route.

Finally boot space, Volvo report useable space when you open the boot (575 L) but the Germans report manufactured boot space(640 L e class), Volvo have now realised this is putting them at a disadvantage so on their comparison tool they now copy the Germans which raises it to 723 L, so if you want to take out all the fabric of the boot the V90 has a larger boot. But I would compare it to your needs!

If your buying used because the Mercedes doesn’t hold its value as well as Volvo you can get more MB £1 for £1 on the second hand market.

A quick look on the MB used site for £25K you can get a 3 month old e class estate, but you would be looking at a 2016 V90 Momentum for the same price. To lease a new V90 is around £250 per month cheaper due to residual value differences.

Good luck choosing!

Philip Fisher Jan 19th, 2019 10:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by David404 (Post 2486430)

Estate
Auto G/box
Diesel - Euro6

Momentum - poverty spec

No 6 pot option at all.

If I read the last paragraph correctly you dont want an SUV or a V90 but you want something in E class size?

I am afraid that there is therefore nothing in the Volvo SPA range that you can buy for 25k used that will fit the bill. The new V60 might suit but you wont get one for 25k.

Perhaps you should look at a Skoda Superb or similar?

nu11eaf Jan 19th, 2019 11:58

The older V70 D5 is a far better estate car it has a better cargo area due to the straighter tailgate, the new V90 loses a lot of user space because of the long low sloping tailgate, I took one look at it and had to walk away as Scooby my dog would not fit in it.
The new car looks nice but its too low and not a very practical estate for me. The CC version is higher but cargo area is still compromised. The XC90 is a far more practical vehicle with a massive cargo area and an excellent tow car but getting one for £25 will be your problem.
I think the MB 350 will suit your needs better pulling a 1700kg caravan. Unless you can find a spa model XC90 within budget.

David404 Jan 19th, 2019 21:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamieboy (Post 2486445)
One observation: you don't need to go for a cross country to get the more powerful d5 engine. It's available on normal v90 with awd.

Missed that option. When looking thanks.

David404 Jan 19th, 2019 21:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philip Fisher (Post 2486471)
If I read the last paragraph correctly you dont want an SUV or a V90 but you want something in E class size?

I am afraid that there is therefore nothing in the Volvo SPA range that you can buy for 25k used that will fit the bill. The new V60 might suit but you wont get one for 25k.

Perhaps you should look at a Skoda Superb or similar?

Apologies typo. I don't want an SUV so the choice across premium estates seems to be V90, Audi A6, BMW 5 or E class.

Skoda & VW get a NO from get go.

David404 Jan 19th, 2019 21:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by nu11eaf (Post 2486510)
I think the MB 350 will suit your needs better pulling a 1700kg caravan. Unless you can find a spa model XC90 within budget.

Don't fancy SUV so not that keen on XC90 and looking out of budget anyway. Bit confused by 'SPA' new to Volvo, what's it mean.

Absolute boot calacity not an issue just need more space than in saloon. No kids, no dog just need more space when out with caravan.

Quacker Jan 20th, 2019 00:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by David404 (Post 2486690)
Don't fancy SUV so not that keen on XC90 and looking out of budget anyway. Bit confused by 'SPA' new to Volvo, what's it mean.

Absolute boot calacity not an issue just need more space than in saloon. No kids, no dog just need more space when out with caravan.

The easy way to tell an SPA Volvo is that it has the Thor’s hammer daytime running lights/indicators up front and the vertical tablet in the dash. All current models of 60 and 90 series cars are of this type.

I reckon you should be looking at the Vauxhall and Ford Mondeo size cars, including BMW 3 and 5 series and Mercedes Cand E Class.Audi A4 an A6 and derivatives also. Not forgetting Jaguar, which has a rather splendid range of cars in both 2wd and 4wd.