Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Headlamp bulb keeps blowing, any ideas? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=89775)

jackthehat.co.uk Mar 4th, 2010 11:05

Headlamp bulb keeps blowing, any ideas?

Hi folks,

This weeks fault is that my car keeps blowing the driver's side headlamp bulb. It went yesterday, I put a new one in and it blew again today.

Can you think of anything I should check before I waste more money on bulbs? What would cause the bulb to keep blowing?

Mr-V70 Mar 4th, 2010 11:10

In my V70 the drivers side head light kept going out. It turned out to be that the plastic connector had broken down and was allowing the wires to touch.

Worth checking?

Failing that could it be faulty bulbs? I know some of the ones I get last for ages and some blow within a month....

Sam

Bill_56 Mar 4th, 2010 11:16

I've seen it argued that it's worth spending extra £££ on long-life bulbs as the DRL give them a hard time. But I don't think that's relevant here with a one day bulb -life.

If you bought the two new bulbs in the same shop at the same time, or even nearly the same time, it could be a bad batch of bulbs. I would guess that would be less likely, but still possible, even for the more up-market bulbs.

pdrvolvo Mar 4th, 2010 11:21

make sure the bulb is well fixed in as any vibration while the filament is white hot will cause it to break more easily.

peter.

Georgey dee Mar 4th, 2010 12:36

Main thing to do with bulbs are ;

-Get Osram or Volvo (Same thing)
-Never touch the glass
-Make sure that you don't scratch on the way in
-Make sure that they fit correctly, that is, make sure they are flush with the fitting and not touching the metal deflector bit in the headlight.

Only if the above is done should you expect them to last longer than 5 minutes.

jackthehat.co.uk Mar 4th, 2010 14:13

Thanks guys

Both bulbs were different brands (not sure which brands though). The one I put in yesterday was fitted correctly and the glass had not been touched. I think Sam's idea about the plastic connector is certainly worth investigating. I'll let you know.

Chrismmoore Mar 4th, 2010 14:35

Headlight bulbs blowing

Another tip for Volvos with constant on headlamps, is to leave the back cover off during warmer months, to let heat escape

Georgey dee Mar 4th, 2010 18:23

The trouble with that is that the light will fill up with very fine dust over time.

jackthehat.co.uk Mar 4th, 2010 19:49

Well, I've had another look at it and the connectors seem fine and everything is clean and tidy. The bulb was indeed a cheap and nasty brand (can't remember the name) so I'm just hoping that it was the cheap bulb that caused the blowout. It's impossible to get a replacement bulb in this useless town I live in so I'll go out hunting for one tomorrow and see how it goes.

andycallaghan Mar 4th, 2010 20:33

Definitely use Volvo/Osram bulbs.
I blew 4 bulbs in a week coz they were cheap ones.