Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Parking sensors replaced but!!!!! still no-go.. (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=327538)

Auldgit Sep 5th, 2022 20:15

Parking sensors replaced but!!!!! still no-go..

Hi all, finally (!) got round to replacing the parking sensors on the XC70, four brand new ones off ebay, but unfortunately I'm still getting the "Park assist service required" message and it's still not working. All wiring seems intact behind the bumper, no damage, no water ingress, so I'm at a loss to know where to go from here. Any ideas anyone??

Lancee Sep 5th, 2022 20:23

Faulty parking module (PAM) ?

There may be a reset procedure required after sensor replacement ?

Auldgit Sep 5th, 2022 20:25

Hi, where would I find that?

Auldgit Sep 5th, 2022 20:34

You mean re-coding?

Lancee Sep 5th, 2022 20:39

It was a long time ago, but on my V70 D5 MY2002 I replaced a faulty sensor and then found that in addition the PAM module was faulty.

PAM module in my car was in the lower rear corner, can't remember if it was RHS or LHS. I think used PAM's are available on e-bay.

BUT, do you have any sort of code reader ? Don't disappear down a rabbit hole chasing the wrong thing/s.

Perhaps try an internet search for PAM images (careful what comes up!) and also search to see if there is a reset procedure (not a re-coding). A little out there but a battery disconnect may help ? I don't think the PAM is coded to the car, so an e-bay one may likely work.

Hopefully another member will chime in with more, and either confirm or dispute the above !

Auldgit Sep 5th, 2022 21:18

Thanks for all that, very useful info. I'm going to check the ones I've just taken off, there's a you tube showing how. If they are OK then it points to the module I guess. Someone may point me in the right direction as to location on the XC. Thanks again.

Thassos Sep 5th, 2022 21:47

P a m

1 Attachment(s)
A pic of the pam attached, i retrofitted rear park sensors many years ago, somewhere i recall a way to test the sensors as they work at around 40khz, (maybe dogs can hear them im not sure!) its usually on the left side in the boot/spare wheel area but thats for an S60

Lancee Sep 6th, 2022 09:30

My PAM images search initially came up with Pamela Anderson and Pam Ayres (both attired!). Hope you did better?

A potential spanner in your plan. If the PAM module is faulty would the sensors appear to work (40Hz audibly?). There do seem to be plenty of dogs around at the moment to possibly test the theory for you, just don't reverse over any!

I think the actual, individual sensors could be tested with a multimeter, and maybe confirm the wiring continuity.

If the sensors are definitively OK then I guess PAM substitution would be next, BUT (Rabbit hole warning) IMHO a code read/er would ideally be the way to go.

Auldgit Sep 6th, 2022 09:56

My results were more boring than yours, but I did prefacethe search with "Volvo" PAM so maybe that's why I got some black boxes. More work to check out the sensors today, YouTube procedure involves testing with a multimeter if I recall, just have to find it again.

Code reader would be the best approach I agree, but my local garage couldn't help as the setup he has doesn't cover the parking assist function apparently, and the cost of a main dealer job is probably more than a s/h module, so I'll more than likely go down that route and hope it's not a rabbit hole.... Thanks again for the interest.

Auldgit Sep 6th, 2022 09:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thassos (Post 2843712)
A pic of the pam attached, i retrofitted rear park sensors many years ago, somewhere i recall a way to test the sensors as they work at around 40khz, (maybe dogs can hear them im not sure!) its usually on the left side in the boot/spare wheel area but thats for an S60

Thanks for the pic, very useful. Don't recall seeing anything like that in the boot area yesterday but maybe I just wasn't looking. I'll look again today weather permitting.. Cheers.