Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   My way of driving and what it does to my car (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=108403)

camevad Mar 31st, 2011 12:38

no.3 for me

let's admit it-you can't resist the right pedal in the 2.0D when that 17 year old in the 'slammed' Civic is trying to clean your rear bumper with his front one...

stewarton wolf Apr 9th, 2011 19:51

I used to drive quite gently all of the time with my V50 2.0d, but the engine warning light came on a couple of times and dropped into limp mode, now I always give it a bit of welly once it is warm and it seems to of sorted the problem. I always let the engine idle of a minute after my commute 90 miles just to ensure there is enough oil around the turbo.

Project239X Apr 9th, 2011 20:24

I'm still waiting for my new Volvo to arrive, currently I have an old V40 2.0 but I'm excited about my new 2008 V50 R Design D5. I keep seeing comments about how good the 2.0D engine is, what should I expect from my D5?

stevo83 May 28th, 2011 11:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Project239X (Post 881923)
I'm still waiting for my new Volvo to arrive, currently I have an old V40 2.0 but I'm excited about my new 2008 V50 R Design D5. I keep seeing comments about how good the 2.0D engine is, what should I expect from my D5?

Waves of torque, best sounding diesel on the road, blistering acceleration and all while returning decent mpg. Expect to be blown away...

voldo May 28th, 2011 19:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevo83 (Post 915594)
Waves of torque, best sounding diesel on the road, blistering acceleration and all while returning decent mpg. Expect to be blown away...

lol, slightly exaggerrated, not biased are we!

I would say, as much torque as you would need, some turbo lag, a nice sounding diesel (not as nice as the BMW ones, sorry!) decent acceleration, better than most other standard diesel cars around (mapped 2.0 onwards VAG stuff will be as quick if not slightly quicker, but there is always a bigger fish and you can always map the D5 to match) but not T5 or any other turbo petrol hot hatch quick. and yes decent Mpg, should see around 40mpg!

oh and cheap/flimsy feeling and sounding exterior door handles on the rear doors!

you will be very pleased with the increase in every day drivablility and economy vs your petrol, but you might miss the higher rev range! If you cant have a T5, the D5 is the next best, possibly better if you are doing more miles!

Daim May 28th, 2011 20:00

Btw...

I'm due for my 120k km (75k miles) service next week... Still on my first set of brake discs and pads and they have a lot of meet on them yet... ;)

I'm hoping to get to 160k km (100k miles) on the first set :) - and I drive quite a lot around towns with stop and go traffic...

stevo83 May 28th, 2011 21:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by voldo (Post 915930)
lol, slightly exaggerrated, not biased are we!

I would say, as much torque as you would need, some turbo lag, a nice sounding diesel (not as nice as the BMW ones, sorry!) decent acceleration, better than most other standard diesel cars around (mapped 2.0 onwards VAG stuff will be as quick if not slightly quicker, but there is always a bigger fish and you can always map the D5 to match) but not T5 or any other turbo petrol hot hatch quick. and yes decent Mpg, should see around 40mpg!

oh and cheap/flimsy feeling and sounding exterior door handles on the rear doors!

you will be very pleased with the increase in every day drivablility and economy vs your petrol, but you might miss the higher rev range! If you cant have a T5, the D5 is the next best, possibly better if you are doing more miles!

Maybe a bit! I do love mine! Turbo lag, yes, but if you're driving it right you can eliminate it not too bad. Also dpf delete and remap help get rid of it and yes the rear doors do sound flimsy, which is weird considering how thick they are! But as far as the noise goes I prefer the 5cyl Volvo to the 6cyl BMW. Love that growl, but that's personal preferance I suppose!

Oh and I'm returning closer to 45mpg. Doing a fair few long runs though.

faffi May 28th, 2011 22:11

Speaking of BMW diesels - a bloke at work had his 530D from 04 tuned to nearly 300 hp. Went OK :thumbs_up:

stevo83 May 29th, 2011 20:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by faffi (Post 916072)
Speaking of BMW diesels - a bloke at work had his 530D from 04 tuned to nearly 300 hp. Went OK :thumbs_up:

Right up to the point the inlet manifold disintegrates and gets sucked into the engine...

t5_monkey Jun 2nd, 2011 23:23

Diesels might be ok...

but I've got about 320-330lb-ft at 2500 rpm (276lb-ft at the wheels) ... and mine revs to 6500 rpm clean :D Diesel can't compete with that combination of sound, revs and torque.

I just go LA LA LA :lala: when they talk about fuel economy!