Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   My way of driving and what it does to my car (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=108403)

Bigmunkynutz Jun 3rd, 2011 11:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by t5_monkey (Post 919729)
Diesels might be ok...

but I've got about 320-330lb-ft at 2500 rpm (276lb-ft at the wheels) ... and mine revs to 6500 rpm clean :D Diesel can't compete with that combination of sound, revs and torque.

I just go LA LA LA :lala: when they talk about fuel economy!

LOL Monster Comment. When i'm not travelling 15-18k miles a year i'll probably look at the T5 or even T6 S60 mmmm nice!

marct1980 Jun 3rd, 2011 15:12

Everyone goes hard at some point dont they? not many cars out there like to be hammered all the time although like someone already pointed out, the honda vtec that you get in the type r loves to be thrashed and revved like a nutter. it actually takes a bit of getting used to when you first start driving them!!

Jon E A Jun 3rd, 2011 16:30

It's option 3 for me "I drive moderately hard and floor it from time to time - and have no issues".

Well no issues with the engine or drive at least, can't say the same for the brakes/discs though. I do tend to it leave it late before braking; was advised by the MOT tester recently that the rear was down to the metal, whoops! :grn-shocked:

Jon E A.

biggs312800 Jun 8th, 2011 22:54

when i had my 2.0d drove it hard now i have my t5 even harder

but that fuel needle does go down quite fast lol

volvorocks Jan 9th, 2012 06:49

With any car from new I believe in a good "run in" procedure. No keeping it at constant speeds or below 2000rpm etc, simply drive normally with short bursts of acceleration every so often to get the engine "fit" and sweet running. Never had any engine issues, and have found my engines were sweet, used no oil, didnt knock or bang or smoke, and were pretty nippy with acceptable fuel consumption.In years gone by when the cars were kept for longer periods the mileages were relatively high with no real issues.

I have had issues with the Volvos although this is nothing to do with how they have been driven!!

Regards

Metblackrat Jan 9th, 2012 13:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by volvorocks (Post 1063935)
With any car from new I believe in a good "run in" procedure. No keeping it at constant speeds or below 2000rpm etc, simply drive normally with short bursts of acceleration every so often to get the engine "fit" and sweet running. Never had any engine issues, and have found my engines were sweet, used no oil, didnt knock or bang or smoke, and were pretty nippy with acceptable fuel consumption.In years gone by when the cars were kept for longer periods the mileages were relatively high with no real issues.

I have had issues with the Volvos although this is nothing to do with how they have been driven!!

Regards

The general advice with modern engines is to drive them fairly hard at the start.

More on this here.

Looking around, many tuners and engine builders recommend this method due to the reasons given.

volvorocks Jan 9th, 2012 18:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Metblackrat (Post 1064173)
The general advice with modern engines is to drive them fairly hard at the start.

More on this here.

Looking around, many tuners and engine builders recommend this method due to the reasons given.

Yes Ive read that before.Thanks.

There used to be a good write up on how to run your new Lotus in, which was great, and Ive always done it like that.

nbuuifx Jan 9th, 2012 19:52

I drive very gently 95% of the time, but then also floor it from time to time and drive it hard up to the revs (this isn't in a Volvo as mine arrives tomorrow) but in all other cars I've had. Oh and I have had very little issue with cars.

Axionknight Jan 10th, 2012 12:38

I drive my 850 T5-R fairly normally, nothing mad or overly fast in anyway - most of the time.

I'll just go with the flow around town and not be one of the people whos always in a rush cutting through traffic etc to try and get ahead. The motorway, I'll cruise around 75, with the odd over take if needed.

I do use the cars performance on occasion though, I can be pretty impatient so if some clown is driving down a 50 road at 35 or whatever, I wont sit behind 'em if I don't have to! Plus I'm only young n' daft so smashing boy racers in their Saxos and Clios is a must, just can't resist!

95% moderate, normal driving, 5% banzai wheel spinning acceleration :P

NigeS Jul 3rd, 2012 11:59

I like to check the rev limiter out on a daily basis, which is nigh on impossible in the D5 or A4 as you're well past what the engine can give anyway. In the 911 it's like the gift that grows and just keeps giving.

Modern engines are designed and limited to be well within their capabilities. I put good maintenance, proper warm up procedure and regular proper use down to the lack engine issues.

Short journeys and meandering driving does engines no good in my opinion.