Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   300/66 Series General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   89 340 b14.4e o/s/r toe in problem (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=1183)

pettaw Dec 31st, 2001 12:04

89 340 b14.4e o/s/r toe in problem

Seasons greetings everyone! hope you guys had a nice Christmas etc etc etc.
My problem is a bit of a weird one. I've noticed that the o/s/r tyre is wearing out more quickly on one side than the other, it looks as though the toe in setting has gone. This was confirmed by a 4 wheel alignment check that revealed that the toe in was vastly outside the limits of the car. My question is, is there an easy way to correct this, or is it a question of renewing suspension components etc.

Cheers

Andy

Peter Milnes Jan 1st, 2002 23:51

RE: 89 340 b14.4e o/s/r toe in problem

I would suspect that the bushes or the strut mountings on the bad side have deteriorated somewhat. This could be problematic or could be just a case of replacing the mountings and/or bushings that have collapsed. The awkward part is that you should do both sides while you are at it. Check to see if the bad side makes the wheel lean in or out more than the other side as you may have a structural problem around the strut tower. Also check your suspension units (shockers inside the strut) for problems.
All the best, Peter.

Paul Clifton Jun 20th, 2002 22:02

As the rear on 340's is not independant suspension but 'cart' spring type I would suggest that the wheel has been kerbed hard and bent the axle/wheel bearing casing.
Paul Clifton 200 Reg VOC

pettaw Jun 20th, 2002 23:35

Thanks for your answer Paul. I guessed the same. Its been like that for a good year or so now and the only ill effect it has is the tendency to wear out the tyre more unevenly on that side than on the other side.

Do you reckon its a big job to replace the relevant parts? I think its not worth the effort considering it only shortens the rear tyres' life by a few months.

Andy

Paul Clifton Jun 21st, 2002 22:28

Depends which bit is bent (will be difficult to decide) and how much 'dosh' you consider is worth spending on it.
I suppose you could consider buying a complete axle from a breakers as there must be plenty of 300's consigned to the scrap heap by now.
Paul

pettaw Jun 22nd, 2002 15:13

Thanks for the advice.

Andy

davebslater(uk) Jun 22nd, 2002 16:46

Its most likely the de dion tube is bent / hub carrier . check that and also for loose wheel bearings and bolts that attatch the axle tube to the spring . The anti tramp bar is located on the right hand side may also be bent . Only way to fix really is complete new tube which is a PIA if your car is sitting in the scrapyard , you could of course try to straighten it but i have tried and they dont like to move !!

pettaw Jun 22nd, 2002 17:14

The car isn't sitting in the scrappy, it's on the road, it drives fine, but just wears the o/s/r outside edge a bit before the other tyre. Thanks for the advice though.

Andy