Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Alloy wheels for 68 131 please (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=219561)

Macman Dec 8th, 2014 22:27

Alloy wheels for 68 131 please

Hi all,
Complete newbie here but have been learning a lot from this brilliant forum. I have recently got my Amazon and drove 690 Km's in one go ( except for ferry) from London back to Northern Ireland, slow and steady but enjoyed it although she's an automatic so not very quick. Currently in body shop getting some repairs completed. My query is alloy wheels, will a set of 240 volvo Virgo rims fit on without any spacing issues please. Have read lots about rims on the forum but can't find a definitive answer. Thanks in advance.

David

loon Dec 8th, 2014 22:40

NO they have a different size PCD.
your car has 114.3mm or 4 1/2" and the 240 is 108mm

Ford Mustang wheels fit as well as others with the 114.3 fitting but check the back spacing for clearance.

Macman Dec 9th, 2014 08:40

Alloy wheels for 131 amazon

Hi,

Thanks for quick reply. Does that mean that if I used a 7/8 mm spacer that the wheels would clear ok?

David

123GT-AMAZON Dec 9th, 2014 10:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macman (Post 1799745)
Hi,

Thanks for quick reply. Does that mean that if I used a 7/8 mm spacer that the wheels would clear ok?

David

hi ya

you need to get alloy wheels from any volvo pre 1972 that will fit as any !!! volvos after that year changed the wheel stud pattern so they wont even slide on wheel studs hence the PCD PATTERN BEING COMPLETEY different

as loon has said the early fords ie mustang wheels fit fine no worries at all straight bolt on and away you go ;)
all you have to watch is the space behind so it has right off set for example they call it backspacing so check they have an ok backspacing to be fair all mustang wheels fit6 unless there like fat ass track wheels ok so i hope thats helped
kind regards

robert

Faust Dec 9th, 2014 10:41

Wheels from a 240 will NOT fit due to the bolt patterns being different. The PCD (Pitch Circle Diameter) is different on Amazons and P1800s - the P1800 ES and cars (mostly) made after this - say 1971 - used a PCD of 5x108 as do Volvos made up to the present day.

5 = the number of studs/bolts

114.3/4.5 inch = imagine a circle encompassing the wheel studs - the PCD is the diameter of this circle (you can measure it in other ways. i.e. distance between 2 studs but it's a bit more complicated).

The 240 wheels are 5x108 so as you can see there is no way they will fit unless you start messing around with hubs swaps or adaptors which is a lot of hassle around to get wheels to fit!

Spacers are used to correct for distances in offset of wheels. Offset refers to the measurement from the hub to the centre of the wheel. You also need to consider backspace - on an Amazon this is 3.76 inches as you need to make sure your wheels won't scrub (touch) the arches or steering arms on full lock. Wikipedia has more info if you want to read up.

If you want new wheels for your car you can buy wide steels from Brookhouse etc. Minilites are available in Amazon fitments but they divide opinion and there is always the Torn Thrust option. I personally think these are the best choice for an Amazon but you'll need to have deep pockets (set of 15 inch rims with tyres will cost aprox £1100).

As Robert said, Mustang wheels will fit as a lot of yank cars use the 5x4.5 inch PCD but don't go too wide... 7 inch width is about as wide as you want to go on an Amazon.

One of the most annoying things after being part of the UK Ford scene is the lack of viability of wheels in the correct sizes… that and the price of rear brake drums and front discs! You better sit down before you research these…

Derek UK Dec 9th, 2014 11:20

Being even more specific, the bolt circle/PCD change came along when disc brakes were fitted to the rear axle. Not fitted to any Amazon but was fitted to the 140/164 and 1800E from 1969. So if the wheels come from a Volvo with a disk brake rear axle they won't fit the Amazon. Beware that for one year the 140 wheels looked very similar to the Amazon but the PCD is different.

Macman Dec 9th, 2014 12:49

Alloy wheels for 68 131

Hi,

Many thanks for all replies, am still learning about these things but appreciate all answers, and now understand, will keep looking,

David

Alf ista Dec 9th, 2014 14:10

Hi David and welcome to the forum. You will get great advice here. An auto is quite rare I would think. Only 1 or 2 members on here have one. I would say take your time with wheel choice as your tastes may change. Personally I think a set of wide steels really suit the Amazon. Torque thrusts do look good but pricey. Oh and we need pics of your car, we love pics...
Hugh.

Derek UK Dec 9th, 2014 17:10

Minilight (not genuine Minilite) wheels are being offered on eBay for quite a bit less than the wide steels. Not to everyone's taste but they are a period style wheel. IMO not really what you want to spend money on as a priority after buying a "new" car. Try and bring it up to scratch all round, including those vital parts that no one sees, before adding special wheels. A set of these alloys or the steels will cost at least £600 before fitting. Unless your budget is fairly elastic, that money might be spent on other things like new bushes, shock absorbers, rust repairs, I could go on.......
A "genuine" MOT with no advisories is also a good thing to have in your service folder.

Macman Dec 9th, 2014 19:24

Alloys for 68 131

Hi ,

Totally agree, and my priority is bodywork ( which is amazingly good) and mechanicals . If a set of wheels come my way, will get them but in the meantime enjoying the forum and all the good friendly advice, which money can't buy!!!! .

David