Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   XC70: General From V70 to XC70 (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=291492)

V70d5peter Feb 5th, 2019 23:38

From V70 to XC70

I have a V70 2009 D5 and am thinking of getting a newer XC70 is it worth it ? has anyone owned both cars what would I be getting that's different/better?

Thanks in advance.

mhon72 Feb 6th, 2019 00:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by V70d5peter (Post 2492707)
I have a V70 2009 D5 and am thinking of getting a newer XC70 is it worth it ? has anyone owned both cars what would I be getting that's different/better?

Thanks in advance.

Aside from s newer car which will have the twin turbo engine if looking at another D5 you might get the Sensus system with the new dash shape.
In terms of driving the XC70 is obviously slightly taller which means you get a more pillowy ride than the lower V70. It also feels very secure on the road, almost invincible.
Factor in slightly higher running costs for the extra weight, height of the XC70. Still early days for me and it is the middle of winter and I’m waiting to get it Polestar-ed but it feels like fuel consumption is up about 10% over what the V70 does.

green van man Feb 6th, 2019 06:44

My reason to change was the higher ride hight that made getting in and out easier.
Noticably heavier on fuel than my previous tdi v70, quicker on acceleration mid range and a lazy tow barge which is more than capable of making progress across country roads mines been polestarred which made a huge difference to driveability.
Mine however is a 2wd xc70.

Paul.

SignumGB Feb 6th, 2019 10:44

AWD capability!!

Big Ted Feb 10th, 2019 00:33

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=243260

I've had both & posted this a while ago.
HTH's.

Mine may be up for sale soon to fund a new Campervan - keep an eye on the classifieds.

TrueBlue Feb 10th, 2019 18:52

FWIW
I started with used V70's for (some years) until I noticed that I could get an XC70 for the same money - or at least once slightly les! The advantage was much more comfortable seats, a better specification (electric driver seat as standard) and lower mileage. The early AWD - a rubber band in an oily bucket was rubbish - but that ended in 2002). Thus I've stuck with them.

Fuel consumption for my current one (MY 2013) DIESEL is 40 mpg which I think is reasonable for such a heavy car. I'd like to get an Euro 4 version - but there are very few (if any) that come onto the market. If you see any for sale I'd go for the D5, the D4 is a bit gutless - but finding either nowadays can be difficult - perhaps because I must have a sunroof.

Vladislav Feb 11th, 2019 11:46

I would buy my XC70 MY12 again.
XC70 ground clearance is 210mm which is only 8mm less than the one of XC90, means XC70 can park pretty much on any curb. AWD gives a reassuring feel when the road conditions are not ideal. Strong side winds, snow, long waves on the road surface, filled with standing water - nothing gives you trouble or requires steering, car just cruises through all that with tons of grip, literally no bother at all.
Mine is D5 215 bhp, does 32mpg in city drive - short trips, around 40 mpg on the motorway cruising at 70 mph. Yes 2WD is better on mpg, but that is down to the annual mileage, how much are you going to save for the loss of the 4WD...
And V70 looks like XC70 without a makeup.

apersson850 Feb 11th, 2019 13:34

I drive the XC70 AWD for good towing capability on slippery ground.
It does of course do that much better than any two wheel drive I've had before.
Avergare fuel consumption is 7 l/100 km. Engine is a D5, 230 hp/470 Nm.

Puffster Feb 11th, 2019 14:19

Not owned both but have driven a number of S80s/V70s.

The ride is much smoother than either of the above. Less jaring over road imperfections, less bangs/crashes, feels less firm but no loss of road holding.

It is really comfortable and less tiring to drive. I regularly drive 4 hours+ at a stretch and you get out the other end markedly less stressed or battered.

AWD is useful. Extra vision height also useful.

V70d5peter Feb 11th, 2019 22:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puffster (Post 2494619)
Not owned both but have driven a number of S80s/V70s.

The ride is much smoother than either of the above. Less jaring over road imperfections, less bangs/crashes, feels less firm but no loss of road holding.

It is really comfortable and less tiring to drive. I regularly drive 4 hours+ at a stretch and you get out the other end markedly less stressed or battered.

AWD is useful. Extra vision height also useful.

From what you say that's a good reason to go for one I must save up and keep the v70 nice for a part exchange. Cheers