Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=187)
-   -   More new MY14 XC60 owner questions (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=274828)

olly Nov 9th, 2017 17:40

More new MY14 XC60 owner questions

A few more questions please....
1) Is there any way to get the engine to turn off when I pull out the key out?
2) There's something that looks like very widely spaced heater elements on the drivers side rearmost window. What's that for?
3) What logic is the car applying when using the handbrake. 90% of time I can just drive off and it disengages but sometimes, in reverse mostly (only?) I have to manually release it.

Thanks Oliver

Whyman Nov 9th, 2017 17:53

Mines a 2013 but probably the same.

1. You can take the key out once you have started the car? Not sure of the logic but you cannot stop the engine until auto is in park.

2. Radio aerial I think.

3. The handbrake only releases automatically if you have the seatbelt on. Do you always have it on when you are reversing?

wimorrison Nov 9th, 2017 18:47

You can stop the engine anytime whether in or out of gear by double tapping the start/stop button, or at least you can with the car stationary- never tried it when moving :)

simonjedrake Nov 9th, 2017 22:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by wimorrison (Post 2336178)
You can stop the engine anytime whether in or out of gear by double tapping the start/stop button, or at least you can with the car stationary- never tried it when moving :)

You can also do it when moving - but NOT recommended as you lose all power steering at the same time......!!!

GusGecko Nov 11th, 2017 09:39

As whyman says - radio aerial, and seatbelt must be on for auto release.

olly Nov 13th, 2017 13:55

Thanks for the replies. Wish I could configure it so that removing the key stopped the engine. Never mind.

Bit sad right now, dropped a brick on the boot threshold and it's left a pretty big gouge out it....grrr...plus yesterday I had a table in the boot and the metal leg has made a pretty deep scratch in the plastic of one of the rear pillars.

I need a car for "best" and a car for jobs!!

andrewpain Nov 13th, 2017 15:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by olly (Post 2337281)
Thanks for the replies. Wish I could configure it so that removing the key stopped the engine. Never mind.

Bit sad right now, dropped a brick on the boot threshold and it's left a pretty big gouge out it....grrr...plus yesterday I had a table in the boot and the metal leg has made a pretty deep scratch in the plastic of one of the rear pillars.

I need a car for "best" and a car for jobs!!

ouch...:-(

GusGecko Nov 13th, 2017 16:53

I know what you mean.... Ive got a rubber fitted boot tray and then a second rubber mat ontop so I can protect the inside when it's in 'work' mode. The dog grill also comes in handy if I REALLY need to fill up the boot...failing that... trailer!!

ellis128 Nov 14th, 2017 06:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by olly (Post 2337281)
Bit sad right now, dropped a brick on the boot threshold and it's left a pretty big gouge out it

We fitted one of the stainless rear bumper protectors as we have a dog and would scratch the lip of the bumper (bought from ebay) - would that cover the 'gouge'?

NigelDay Nov 14th, 2017 09:13

I have a 'Carbox' mat from the Roofbox Company which comes with an additional rubber mat to fold over the bumper. Worth a look - and not expensive.